• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think a date stamp on a book guaranteed it was on a newstand?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I mean as much as one can guarantee anything in life. It seems reasonable to assume that if a book has a date stamp, it at one time sat on a newstand. 

Yes? No? 

It's an SA book that's in question. 

Thanks all. 

Edited by NoMan

28 minutes ago, grebal said:

Imo, counterfeit date stamps would be hard to detect for certain.  I assume they're legit, because, why? 

Bored at work. You know how my mind wanders. Janet Pym, my old Dazzeler #1 comics, date stamps...

I thought in the SA comics were available at newsstands and nowhere else...

Question might be relevant to late 70s books with a date stamp - before date stamping ended (as far as I can tell) and after advent of direct market 

I remember a drug store back in the 90s that was writing arrival dates on everything, including books that were being held for someone.  So, they never made it to the stands, but it was as good as if they had.

In my hometown Where I grew up in the 60's and 70's, no place I bought comic books from date stamped books.  Even when I visited other towns and bought books, not once did I ever come across a book date stamped. In an ironic twist though, I did have my own date stamper and would stamp my books with the date I bought them on the splash page inside the book. I wouldn't stamp the cover because I didn't want to deface it. It was only years later after beginning to buy back issues from mail order venders and later the internet and eBay, did I begin to realize this was a practice by some retailers. So, I hope this sheds some light and answers to the proposed question of this thread. As a collector, I did date stamp my own books when I bought them.

Edited by Jaylam

Do you mean "were physically placed on/in a rack"? If so, I would think the books would be stamped on arrival while together in a stack and some, but not necessarily all, would have been "racked". I would say it's certainly possible that at least part of the stack could have stayed in reserve as backstock if they wouldn't all fit, therefore you could have some date-stamped books that may be quite nice because they were never displayed for pawing fingers. Is that kind of where you were going with the question?

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Do you mean "were physically placed on/in a rack"? If so, I would think the books would be stamped on arrival while together in a stack and some, but not necessarily all, would have been "racked". I would say it's certainly possible that at least part of the stack could have stayed in reserve as backstock if they wouldn't all fit, therefore you could have some date-stamped books that may be quite nice because they were never displayed for pawing fingers. Is that kind of where you were going with the question?

Yes to question in your first sentence. That is what I'm wondering. 

19 hours ago, xomic said:

I thought in the SA comics were available at newsstands and nowhere else...

Question might be relevant to late 70s books with a date stamp - before date stamping ended (as far as I can tell) and after advent of direct market 

There were also subscriber copies mailed directly to consumers in the SA-- not stamped but all have a crease down the middle (and never get graded higher than a 4.5).

17 minutes ago, xomic said:

Oh yeah forgot about subscriptions, thanks.  Point was there was no direct market. OP’s original question (about an SA book) only makes sense to me in the direct market era.

I have a book with a date stamp. It's SA. Id liked to think at one point it sat in the wild in a newstand. That's about the just if it