• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic books from 1946-1948

34 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

What are the most valuable comic books from 1946-1948?  I am slightly inexperienced with Golden Age comic books but I know few ones.  Even coverless comic books.

Your expertise is very helpful.

The Golden Age ending coincides with the end of World War II(thumbsu

Again just stabbing and there many others (probably most others lol ) that have more knowledge than me but some other considerations  -

There are some Joker covers on Bat titles that may also be up there.  And some of the Kamen covers on Blue Beetle and some of the Jungle titles but others specifically might be:

All Star 33

All Top 8

Phantom Lady 13 and 17

Flash 104

(shrug)

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

The Golden Age ending coincides with the end of World War II(thumbsu

Nah.  I go with the way it was originally defined:  The Golden Age of Superhero Comics.  And to the first wave of collectors that came up with the term, there is no doubt that the entire run of All-Star Comics was "Golden Age."  For folks who are focused on Romance/Horror/SF, the term "pre-Code" is a lot more helpful than the imprecise and pretty useless term "Atomic Age." 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Nah.  I go with the way it was originally defined:  The Golden Age of Superhero Comics.  And to the first wave of collectors that came up with the term, there is no doubt that the entire run of All-Star Comics was "Golden Age."  For folks who are focused on Romance/Horror/SF, the term "pre-Code" is a lot more helpful than the imprecise and pretty useless term "Atomic Age." 

I actually like the term "Atomic Age". It starts with the dropping of the Atomic Bomb in 1945 signaling the end of WWII and the beginning of the end of superheroes. It ushered in a wonderful age of lots of different genres of titles. My favorite "age" in comic books. I consider the end of the "Atomic Age" when the comics code starts in 1955. To each his own though...

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I actually like the term "Atomic Age". It starts with the dropping of the Atomic Bomb in 1945 signaling the end of WWII and the beginning of the end of superheroes. It ushered in a wonderful age of lots of different genres of titles. My favorite "age" in comic books. I consider the end of the "Atomic Age" when the comics code starts in 1955. To each his own though...

My favorite time period for comics starts around 1948 or so and extends into the mid-50s or so.  But, I really don't see much correlation between the Atomic Bomb and anything comic book related.   Superhero comics were still going strong when the bomb was dropped and would be still going strong for another few years.  The real explosion in the diversity of genres and titles happened after 1945 (and even 1946 or so).  And, obviously, superheros never stopped as a significant genre at DC, Quality and Fawcett and were going strong well after 1945.  There were new superheros being created in the late 40s and 50s.   Even at Timely/Atlas/Marvel the only pre-Code year that did not have superhero comics in publication was 1952.  The only post-Code years without Marvel superheros were 1956-1959.

For me, the term "Golden Age" takes its meaning from how it was first used:  The original strong run of DC superheros starting with Action 1 and tapering off in 1949 when most of the JSA heroes (Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern, etc.) all ceased publication.  The Silver Age of Superheros was the reintroduction of those original JSA heroes in new incarnations Showcase 1. 

The original use of those terms has lost some favor because they are DC centric, and the Marvel only collectors got a little insecure about that, and dealers like to come up with new terms for marketing purposes.  But, as originally used, those terms have a real meaning that makes them very useful.  If the point is to just capture a time frame, without any real rationale tied to comics, I'm good with just using precise terms like "pre-War," "post-WWII," "pre-Code," "60s" etc.  After all, the Atomic Age really was a thing that extended well past the start of the Silver Age of Superheroes.

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I agree with the age definition. But I like the term atomic age. I also don't think atomic necessarily refers to the atomic bomb. I think it refers to a general sense of optimism inspired by new breakthroughs in science especially physics. 

Edited by The-Collector