• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Comic Buying Partner in Western Massachusetts to buy 10,000 comics
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello, i run occasional advertising all over the country offering to buy comic collections.  I'm in Texas and I end up getting a lot of leads on stuff that sounds pretty good...but just not good enough to warrant traveling the distance.  Just got a new lead on a collection of ~10,000 comics in Western Massachusetts.  I'm looking for a local buyer in that area who would be willing to pay me a finder's fee if it works out.  If that's you, I can pass along the lead, and if you view the collection and actually end up buying it, I'm hoping to get a 10% finders fee (10% of whatever you pay for the collection paid out to me via PayPal - so if you spent $1500 on the comics you would send me $150).  if you can't make a deal with the owner, you'll owe me nothing.  You can't lose.

Here's the full description I have so far from the owner:

"I have about 10k comics, some older one alot of 80s and 90s, old western, nice selection of Richie rich, it's about 60 /40 marvel and dc and independent,  some show age and some are like new...i haven't checked prices or what's popular in about 15 years..they are in boxes in our spare bedroom, was going to piece out and sell lots om ebay but saw your ad, figured i eould reach out to you, see if u have an interest and see what they are worth as a single sale"

I don't know the exact location of the owner/collection but the ad they responded to was in Western Mass. 

If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity let me know.  Meanwhile, I'm tracking down some more info on the collection, location, and possible price.

Someone must want to work with me on this!

Thanks

Matt

I got another response from the owner...starting to sound like he thinks too much of the comics to be worthwhile.  I'd be totally happy to get his contact info though and let someone discuss it more with him if they think they want to pursue.

Here was my last exchange:

ME:  Thanks for reaching out to me about your collection.  Yes I'd be interested in potentially buying your comics.  Can I ask what part of western mass you are located in?  Also, do you have any idea how much you will be looking to get?  While there are some key valuable issues from the 80s and 90s, a lot of the comics published in that timeframe aren't worth very much unfortunately. So, it's quite possible that a lot of the filler stuff would correspond to a pretty small per comic offer.  But, that's the same stuff you wouldn't get much for in eBay also or any where else. Anyhow, let me know where you are located and any other detail you think might be helpful.

HIM: I'm actually in N.Y., about 30 mins from great Barrington or 40 mins from Pittsfield..i have no idea of their value these days but, I was thinking from 5 to 7k...thats roughly 50 to 70 cent per comic and some of them I paid over 10 bucks for ..but I do know is about condition and if they are sought after titles.

39 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Interesting that he said Western Ma, instead of Albany NY (the capital). If he's where he says he is, he's not far from  Albany, which is bigger than either Pittsfield or Great Barrington. Sounds a little odd.

I was thinking the same thing.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Interesting that he said Western Ma, instead of Albany NY (the capital). If he's where he says he is, he's not far from  Albany, which is bigger than either Pittsfield or Great Barrington. Sounds a little odd.

If it's a CL listing, it's common in this general region -- people will list in multiple neighboring categories such as Albany, Western Mass, Hudson Valley, etc.

Matt, I could probably take a look somewhere in the next week if you have no takers yet. It may well be someone I have been in touch with already and dismissed based on messaging, but even so if I'm only looking because you sent me, I'm happy to honor your request if it works out. Feel free to PM me.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

If it's a CL listing, it's common in this general region -- people will list in multiple neighboring categories such as Albany, Western Mass, Hudson Valley, etc.

Matt, I could probably take a look somewhere in the next week if you have no takers yet. It may well be someone I have been in touch with already and dismissed based on messaging, but even so if I'm only looking because you sent me, I'm happy to honor your request if it works out. Feel free to PM me.

I get those listings all the time, but it's not common to say you live in Mass when you live in NY;) 

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I get those listings all the time, but it's not common to say you live in Mass when you live in NY;) 

You're right, but if it's the character I'm thinking of/been messaging with, it's a big lot of off-titles, he's in no man's land, and he wants a pretty penny. I've been watching various iterations/subsets of the same collection offered for a while, and he seems to be throwing the spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks. If we're talking about the same guy.

Thanks for all the response.  I agree...sounds like this guy wants way too much and that he may already have been trying to shop it around a bunch.  I should have vetted him a little more before starting this post.  That being said, the response I've gotten here is a good sign, since I've got a slew of advertising going on in the New England area.  I have family up in Mass so if I hit something that sounds amazing I can always take a trip up there.  But, most responses, even the good ones, aren't worth a trip from TExas to Mass just to view.  So, if you are a potential buying partner for me in New England...I'd love to gather a few contacts to feed smaller leads to when I get them for a small finders fee , or maybe even a few comics if its gold or silver age stuff.  If you'd like me to keep you on deck for any future better leads send me a PM.

Edited by Matt Stein

18 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Nice Matt,

If you ever hit a lead anywhere in California. Let me know. I can definitely make the drive for you on big collections

best,

Will do, Dreamtoreal1!  Other than locallty here in Texas, I've been focusing advertising on New England for the moment since I have roots and some contacts up there...but if this works as a general business model I might expand out west too.