• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Thor series

33 posts in this topic

That was fairly common. I believe it had to do with postal regulations and a way to save money if the numbering of a series were continued instead of being stopped and taken up with #1. You can see this in the Hulk 102 and the Doctor Strange 169. Why Iron Man did not follow suit from Tales Of Suspense I have no idea (anybody?)

Iron Man numbering didn't continue from Tales of Suspense because Captain America numbering did.

foreheadslap.gif Totally forgot about Cap! Thanks. Am getting older by the second.

Here's a quick guide.

Hulk started with 6 issues but was discontinued, later appeared and took over the numbers of TALES TO ASTONISH.

Iron Man got his own title after starting in TALES OF SUSPENSE.

Captain America took over the numbering of TALES OF SUSPENSE.

Thor takes over the numbering of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY.

Dr. Strange took over the numbering of STRANGE TALES.

Nick Fury gets his own title after hanging around STRANGE TALES..

There's nothing wrong with your question... people would have been asking the same about Batman if DC had changed the Title Detective Comics to Batman instead of making an along-side title called Batman # 1(which some new younger collectors may assume is the begining)

Hey everyone. Just a quick general question. I'm not familiar with the THOR series, and I'm just trying to figure out the numbering. I notice that the series starts as #126. Did the series have a different name before that?

thank you.

You insufficiently_thoughtful_person, don't you know anything about comics?

--------

there I saved you sometime if you thought my question was dumb. hi.gif

Pick up one of them Overstreet Price Guide thingies...that'll learn ya right quick... thumbsup2.gif

I was looking at the comic price guide website, they showed the THOR series as starting at 126, and provided no reasoning as to why it didnt start at 1, as would be expected. I am sticking to silver age for now.

That was fairly common. I believe it had to do with postal regulations and a way to save money if the numbering of a series were continued instead of being stopped and taken up with #1. You can see this in the Hulk 102 and the Doctor Strange 169. Why Iron Man did not follow suit from Tales Of Suspense I have no idea (anybody?).

Other examples: in the GA Marvel Mystery Comics #92 was the last issue before going to horror with Marvel Tales #93.

Fawcett's Unknown World #1 continued with Strange Stories From Another World #2.

EC's Crime Patrol ended with #16 and continued as Crypt of Terror through #19, then became Tales From the Crypt with #20.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Pov I did not know the stuff about the postal regulations. Very interesting. thumbsup2.gif

Here's a quick guide.

Hulk started with 6 issues but was discontinued, later appeared and took over the numbers of TALES TO ASTONISH.

Iron Man got his own title after starting in TALES OF SUSPENSE.

Captain America took over the numbering of TALES OF SUSPENSE.

Thor takes over the numbering of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY.

Dr. Strange took over the numbering of STRANGE TALES.

Nick Fury gets his own title after hanging around STRANGE TALES..

There's nothing wrong with your question... people would have been asking the same about Batman if DC had changed the Title Detective Comics to Batman instead of making an along-side title called Batman # 1(which some new younger collectors may assume is the begining)

Don't forget that Sub-Mariner got his own title after starting in Tales to Astonish, just like Iron Man and Tales of Suspense.

I made my 2nd most expensive comic purchase tonight. Money comes straight from my paypal balance (from selling). My buying price is high, but keep in mind I intend to keep these for a long time.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6535378305&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I almost bid a $100 on that lot but went cold at the last second.

poke2.gif

My god, man, ya shoulda bought some Kirby Thor's! poke2.gifstooges.gif

Repeat the following phrase exactly 100 times before each meal, and you will soon be on your way to becoming a true Marvel silver age comic book collector:

"Jack Kirby is King! Jack Kirby is King!"

Long live the King,

-Jim

Go to Mile High/EBay and buy the following Thors:

337-382, shouldn't cost you more than $2 an issue but it will be the best Thor books, if not the best reads you will ever come across.will ever read. Beta Ray Bill, Surtur, Kurse, the Batlle with Hela, Thor armour, the Destroyer, etc. Buy these before you buy anything else. Or buy the trade paperbacks 1-3.

152-156 Can probably get these real cheap in low grade. Mangog, great stuff.

191-194 - Again can probably get low grade readers, Durok, Silver Surfer, fantatsic stuff.

272-279 Tremendous art and a pretty interesting story.

eddly, those are some good Hulk books. And from my own state... 893whatthe.gif

Wow. thumbsup2.gif well done.

The comics came in the mail today. And... cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

They are amazing. I would say they all look like 9.4s! They look newer than a lot of my moderns. insane.gif