• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recession affect on rare comics
1 1

21 posts in this topic

You should have asked this in 2008. Just look at the amazing prices realized in all the auction houses. Hell someone willing to pay 450 million for a DeVinci of Christ, when I could paint the same thing for half the price tells me the collectibles market is very strong.

51 minutes ago, GM8 said:

I was wondering this too.  Does anyone have any examples in their own experience?  I didn't follow it that closely in '08-09.

I really don't remember much as I've always been in recession proof work.  But I do remember that 1990/1991 saw a huge upsurge in collector comic prices.  I was buying like crazy in 1988/1989 because things were so cheap, and then the market took off like a rocket.

Intuitively and without data, I think comic prices continue flat or on an upwards trend through recessions, because people are looking to collectibles as a place to dump there money due to low returns.  Currently, we are in an artificially suppressed return era for cash, and I think that's why we have so many speculators right now.

2 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I really don't remember much as I've always been in recession proof work. .... and I think that's why we have so many speculators right now.

You're a very wise reptile

Never underestimate the power of luck and sticktoitiveness.  Taking a job that was family conducive, and doing good work (and luck) allowed me several promotions in place, and the option to retire at age 56, which I did.

Edited by lizards2

How do the recessions effect middle class hobbyists?  People who spend maybe...  1-5k on keys a year.

I woild imagine as jobs are lost more books in the $100-5,000 range are pushed into the marketplace at prices that undercut.

there's been a variety of studies how even during times of recession, the very high end of the collectable space remains relatively unscathed as high net worth individuals fair better than most folks during these times.  Contrarians often buy during dips.   That mutual fund or index fund with three dozen companies in there that millions of Americans buy without even knowing what the underlying portfolio consists of will probably sure drop a hell of a lot faster and steeper than a GA or SA key during a market decline.  My .02

Edited by atomised

6 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

How do the recessions effect middle class hobbyists?  People who spend maybe...  1-5k on keys a year.

I woild imagine as jobs are lost more books in the $100-5,000 range are pushed into the marketplace at prices that undercut.

Im an exterminator, so I basically have a recession proof job. the recession never hit me , not once.

Adopting two boys is sucking my funds dry, but well worth it.

Edited by oakman29

5 hours ago, Philflound said:

Usually when stock prices plummet investors turn to other places to put their money and comics are one of the avenues they turn to.

My $100,000 retirement fund just  got gutted and cut in half.  Should I take half of what I have left and buy the best $25,000 AF 15 I can find?

12 hours ago, Philflound said:

Usually when stock prices plummet investors turn to other places to put their money and comics are one of the avenues they turn to.

I have some friends who have been antiquarian book dealers in LA for 40+ years. Long ago, they told me this exact thing with regard to their business -- that when the market is down, they see cash influxes (from customers other than the usual suspects) from investors searching for someplace less volatile to park their money.