• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever...

25 posts in this topic

They suck at resto detection and their holder leaves a lot to be desired...

I actually no a person who sends them restored comics and they keep coming back in WORLD grade unrestored....

I would never pay big money for any of their books especially if you believe that some of their grader's actually sell books on Comic Link, eBay and other sites...

Personally the way I see it right now and in the near future CGC is the standard

don''t know why anyone with half a brain or a silver age key would trust PGX...

I had a lot of bad experiences with them i.e. wrong labels on wrong books, etc.

I believe PGX is moving in the right direction when they cut perceived ties with Terence Leder and moved to a barex inner holder but they have a ways to go, especially in the area of restoration. They also should not be allowed to own or sell graded comics of their own. With that said, I find PGX's grading to be very consistent on the 8.0 and higher graded books. Having owned hundreds of slabbed books from CGC and PGX, I have come to the conclusion that CGC holders are deficient. I actually find PGX holders, with the barex inner protection, to be superior in this regard. I just received a book directly back from CGC and the casing was scratched. I would have liked to have seen the book at least once in an aesthetically appealing casing. Not having a scratch resistant surface may be minor but coupled with some books I have that appear to have suffered SCS, I believe that CGC should continue to review their holder for improvements. I know that CGC made changes but, from my optic, their holder is still not the best out there.

Regarding the mistakes on labels, it happens with CGC as well. Several years ago, CGC switched my Fantastic Four #48 and Amazing Spiderman #1 labels. How quality control did not catch that is beyond me.

gossip.gif

Yes, I've received errored labels from both companies as well. I also want to say that if I chose to get any books slabbed for myself (to keep and not sell) then I would definitely consider using PGX, it is just that as a seller I see CGC as the better all around choice unless both lower slabbing costs and faster turnaround times are vital.

I actually no a person who sends them restored comics and they keep coming back in WORLD grade unrestored....

How about letting everybody know who this person is since there are people on these boards who buy PGX books.

I was thinking the same thing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What noble motive would the person have to seek an unrestored slab designation for a knowingly restored book?

Yes, I've received errored labels from both companies as well. I also want to say that if I chose to get any books slabbed for myself (to keep and not sell) then I would definitely consider using PGX, it is just that as a seller I see CGC as the better all around choice unless both lower slabbing costs and faster turnaround times are vital.

You are correct that CGC is the best out there. hail.gif Since many of my file copies went straight from the warehouse to my hands, I have no problem using PGX since I am not concerned about restoration. In fact, my brother sent in a batch of my Richie Rich books to PGX. The grades were lower than I expected but my expectations may have been overly optimistic.

I had a lot of bad experiences with them i.e. wrong labels on wrong books, etc.

Speaking of incorrect labels, I was doing a cursory review of my holdings and ran across this.

SparkleComics5.jpg

Overstreet Price Guide

Sparkler Comics #5 9.0 $575.00

Sparkle Comics #5 9.0 $50

Buyiing the label and not the book would have been a costly mistake to me.