• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will be the next Gerber for GA collecting?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

As much as I love these boards, sadly, they have pushed a lot of stuff well beyond my means. Very hard to find cool "un-discovered" stuff anymore. Good for the hobby but not so good for us collectors on a limited budget. Good thing I started collecting the off the radar stuff long ago. On the bright side, when I finally decide to sell...

... I’ll call my good buddy ricksneatstuff and give him first pick. :baiting:

What will be the next Gerber for GA collecting?

short answer: the Artificial Intelligence

The recommendation engine in eBay is going a pretty good job at both introducing new recommendations and tracking when they are available. 

long answer:

Collectors Fantasy League Software

As someone who used to run an interactive design agency --- a pet project I never found time for -- but that I think should exist is a

Collectors Price Index - beyond just the CGC graded books on GPA - and powered with some import your collection or fantasy collection as an index to follow. 

Collectibles continue to be more than a hobby - with billions of dollars at play - and $10,000 + for many of us I would like to see a stock market like tracking software... 

Software that we could use for our real collections - but I think it would be super cool to have a fantasy league - where we can play a game by picking a "team of books" for a calendar year and see where we net out...

many of us need to occasionally or routinely sell books to help finance our (addiction) collection, and this could be a fun way to practice, learn or just replace that dopamine hit we get from auction fever. 

Also - this may be a nudge and prompt for one of the big collectors or auction houses to create a legitimate company that could become a listed stock or index for the mega grails - for me it would be a dream to hold shares in a fund that owned Action 1, Bats 1, All Star 8 etc. 

If anybody is interested in contributing the idea and pitching it to CGC or one of the auction houses to finance it - I'll pledge a weeks worth of time to wireframe the concept.