• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creep Engine Version of New CGC Slabs

28 posts in this topic

Just now, TheFifthHorseman said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

.  I'm lucky that I have always lived in a climate that is very good for paper preservation.

Iguana Island?

For the past 27 years, the Lizard Lair has been located deep within the untouched desert of the southeast Oregon Outback, in the middle of nowhere, on the road to nowhere.

I could never get a straight answer on if they were still correcting this for free.  Depends who you ask?  

How does one know if the 'inner well' is missing on books that never get them anyway like modern coppers or current age?  From what I remember only silver and some bronze had the inner wells.

6 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I could never get a straight answer on if they were still correcting this for free.  Depends who you ask?  

How does one know if the 'inner well' is missing on books that never get them anyway like modern coppers or current age?  From what I remember only silver and some bronze had the inner wells.

There are two types of inner well (at least), and all the older slabs definitely have them. You may not see the wells at the upper corners, but you’ll see the welds around the edges inside the slab. 

I had a book I recently had CGC reholder from the first iteration of the new case to the one with the inner well.

All I did was call CGC. They asked for the registry number to confirm it was a new slab without the inner well. No charge for the reholder and no charge for the shipping. Luckily there was no damage to the book.

Edited by djpinkpanther67

4 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I had a book I recently had CGC reholder from the first iteration of the new case to the one with the inner well.

All I did was call CGC. They asked for the registry number to confirm it was a new slab without the inner well. No charge for the reholder and no charge for the shipping. Luckily there was no damage to the book.

Thanks!

I ended up cracking the book out today.  Kind of scary since there is no inner well for protecting the book, but it came out ok using the long screwdriver down the sides method.

The book appears to have relaxed right up.  The wrinkles either came right out, or it was mostly an optical illusion.

Was just thinking about this thread.  I went through all my graded books and only found one that had a creepcase.
The effect is very minor but if I put pressure on the case it does seem to flatten out the pages.  It sounds like I should try sending this back even though it is only a $50 book.

Nh9MCbA.jpg