• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue labels on books with dried glue

6 posts in this topic

I’ll apologize in advance, because I’m sure this must have been covered somewhere.  But my question is about all the big books out now that have blue labels, but note “Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover”.    Isn’t this restoration? Has CGC relaxed their standards?

How does the market place judge these books?  How do we view this compared to a blue label book, same grade, but without the glue?

6 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I’ll apologize in advance, because I’m sure this must have been covered somewhere.  But my question is about all the big books out now that have blue labels, but note “Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover”.    Isn’t this restoration? Has CGC relaxed their standards?

How does the market place judge these books?  How do we view this compared to a blue label book, same grade, but without the glue?

It is something that has been acknowledged  for years. Same with the minor color touch you bring up in your next post.  And it is not just "big books". It is Golden Age books. Nothing new here at all and well documented here.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:56 PM, fleepunyhumans said:

The glue in those instances is non-functional, meaning it isn't being used in a way that it attaches/restores anything. Normally when you have glue on a book, it's being used in a way that it seals, reinforces, or re-attaches something, but occasionally you have a situation where glue is on a book that is not serving a purpose. It's essentially no different than any other "substance" that might be seen as a defect on the book (e.g. crusty food particles, mud, or any other kind of "schmutz").

In theory, since it non-functional, it wouldn't have to be listed on the label at all, but glue (like tape) is something that will always be noted on the CGC label whether it is serving a purpose or not.  The term "dried glue" on the label is what is used to disclose that the glue is non-functional (i.e. not used as restoration).

1 hour ago, BradleyX2 said:

The glue in those instances is non-functional, meaning it isn't being used in a way that it attaches/restores anything. Normally when you have glue on a book, it's being used in a way that it seals, reinforces, or re-attaches something, but occasionally you have a situation where glue is on a book that is not serving a purpose. It's essentially no different than any other "substance" that might be seen as a defect on the book (e.g. crusty food particles, mud, or any other kind of "schmutz").

In theory, since it non-functional, it wouldn't have to be listed on the label at all, but glue (like tape) is something that will always be noted on the CGC label whether it is serving a purpose or not.  The term "dried glue" on the label is what is used to disclose that the glue is non-functional (i.e. not used as restoration).

Thank you so much!!