• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geppi's comic book museum one step closer...

30 posts in this topic

The museum might make the annual Baltimore Comic Con that Mark Nathan puts on an even more appealing event than it already is.It was an excellent show when I

went two years ago and as an added plus CGC performs on site grading.Highly reccomended cloud9.gif GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

We are planning some exciting synergy with the Baltimore Comic-Con, definitely.

And no, no photocopies. The comics on display at the Gallery are real, and everything in the museum will be real, as indeed, that *would* defeat the whole purpose. When we *do* show a repro of anything if at all, maybe it would be a big blow-up image on the wall or something you would know is a repro image right away. These are all original artifacts.

Our exhibit designer and project consultant is Mark Ward of the Visionary Arts museum, and we have a Registrar working with us now, a good friend and long-time cinema and comic character historian, Andy Hershberger. Things are proceeding very nicely.

And no, no photocopies. The comics on display at the Gallery are real, and everything in the museum will be real, as indeed, that *would* defeat the whole purpose. When we *do* show a repro of anything if at all, maybe it would be a big blow-up image on the wall or something you would know is a repro image right away. These are all original artifacts.

Our exhibit designer and project consultant is Mark Ward of the Visionary Arts museum, and we have a Registrar working with us now, a good friend and long-time cinema and comic character historian, Andy Hershberger. Things are proceeding very nicely.

sums it up for me. Awesome. thumbsup2.gif

Wonder if Geppi will have actual original copies on display and not photocopy material for some of the more rare and expensive stuff. When Geppi buys CGC stuff does he leave it slabbed or crack it? Maybe he can have a Jon Berk wing some day?

By showing photocopied stuff wouldnt that defeat the whole purpose of a museum?

I agree but didn't we see a similar display at the Diamond galleries or something that had photocopies of some of the key books?

Don't know about now, but when I was there for the grand opening back in the mid 90's, everything was original. A very impressive display of key and one of a kind books were on display (and for sale) in the gallery and the equally posh library. Not only that, but all of the paintings and original artwork lining the walls and offices were also genuine.

Strongly doubt this new museum will be as nice as Diamond International Galleries, but I guess it is meant more as only exposure to the general public, while the Galleries is targeted more to the sophisicated collector within the hobby.

With all due respect, we're hoping the museum will be even better than the Gallery, given far more space, a much much larger scope of material, and the chance to display items for which there has never been adequate space in the Gallery. Hopefully it will blow everybody away.

With all due respect, we're hoping the museum will be even better than the Gallery, given far more space, a much much larger scope of material, and the chance to display items for which there has never been adequate space in the Gallery. Hopefully it will blow everybody away.

Arnold;

That's great news! thumbsup2.gif

I was already impressed with the Gallery, even more so with the contents of the vault behind the actual Gallery.

Certainly looking forward to the pending grand opening. Any plans for a big fancy party similar to the Gallery opening and will the displayed books be available to the visitors to purchase similar to last time? Also, any plans for a private showing and sales to serious collectors like last time? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Excellent thumbsup2.gif That is really good to hear. I am big fan of all sorts of art museums but to think there will soon be a museum dedicated only to comic books and comic book art leaves me speechless and extremely happy. yay.gif

We will be publishing a museum catalogue to go with the opening, that's one of many elements I'm working on. Keep in mind though that this is *not* just a comic book and art museum at all, this is far larger in scope. This is a museum about pop culture in general and the vast majority of the items on display will be toys, collectibles of all kinds of the sort seen in such books as Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys. Comics will be a significant part of what we have to offer, but only one facet of a much bigger presentation that will encompass comic characters from the 1800s to the present.

We will be publishing a museum catalogue to go with the opening, that's one of many elements I'm working on. Keep in mind though that this is *not* just a comic book and art museum at all, this is far larger in scope. This is a museum about pop culture in general and the vast majority of the items on display will be toys, collectibles of all kinds of the sort seen in such books as Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys. Comics will be a significant part of what we have to offer, but only one facet of a much bigger presentation that will encompass comic characters from the 1800s to the present.

Even better! Awesome! Keep us posted!!

Casey