• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Sketches got certified (not at CGC) claims Liefeld, McFarlane, Lee and more

7 posts in this topic

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/

It seems fake sketches made it through the programs of other certification programs. 

For anyone wondering why the Witness-Only-Model is the best way to defend the integrity of the program....read on.

Edited by comix4fun

Crazy, I mean, P cert whatever - no one buying reputable art should trust their cert...I know I wouldn't.  The other C company should not be verifying "Art" and basing it on the signature alone.  It's misleading and now their rep is on the line.  Dumb move.

Edited by s14roller

15 hours ago, comix4fun said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/

It seems fake sketches made it through the programs of other certification programs. 

For anyone wondering why the Witness-Only-Model is the best way to defend the integrity of the program....read on.

They don't "verify" sketches.... I don't think...

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They don't "verify" sketches.... I don't think...

Well, then, on their "Art" slabbing designation they should probably remove "Authentic Signature & Artwork" from the label. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, then, on their "Art" slabbing designation they should probably remove "Authentic Signature & Artwork" from the label. 

I agree lol after their statement of "not authenticating the art" and their label, it's a little arse backwards, I agree!

And really, from what Liefeld has noted, both the signature AND the art are fakes. Which makes sense. He could tell on site it was a fake, he's not signing a fake.

So even if it was just the signature that got "authenticated" they still missed the mark, which is why I wouldn't trust anything other than a witnessed sig in a slab. Anything else seems like "looks good to me" instead of "I attest that this signature was witnessed first hand by a certified witness". 

Big difference. HUGE.