• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tarantino's Star Trek

96 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He was a popcorn movie maker who became a film director. I don't mean popcorn movie director as a pejorative either as I am a big fan of that version of Spielberg.

I know you're much smarter than I am, but even this dummy would not have imagined that the guy who directed Duel would someday direct Saving Private Ryan.

I wouldn't have either. He was a 25 year old kid when he made Duel. 

If we were talking about a 25 year old Tarantino, raw and brimming with untapped potential, I'd view it similarly....but we aren't. He's a fully fermented, ripe on the vine, everything he's going to ever be, 54 year old Tarantino. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

I wouldn't have either. He was a 25 year old kid when he made Duel. 

If we were talking about a 25 year old Tarantino, raw and brimming with untapped potential, I'd view it similarly....but we aren't. He's a fully fermented, ripe on the vine, everything he's going to ever be, 54 year old Tarantino. 

So if he were 10 years younger you wouldn't be as closed minded?

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

So if he were 10 years younger you wouldn't be as closed minded?

Try 30 years younger and didn't make films with identical themes over and over again with the same visual/story style. 

And learning what a person is from what they've decided to show you, isn't close-minded, it's observant. 

Edited by comix4fun

And all of this is in reference to Tarantino directing a Trek film. 

If we're talking writing or story input to be directed by someone else there's a higher likelihood that someone could find a way to mesh his story ideas with something resembling Trek's universe. 

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Try 30 years younger and didn't make films with identical themes over and over again with the same visual/story style. 

And learning what a person is from what they've decided to show you, isn't close-minded, it's observant. 

So not giving him a chance or benefit of the doubt is observation.

I apologize for not being as "observant" as you are (worship)

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

So not giving him a chance or benefit of the doubt is observation.

I apologize for not being as "observant" as you are (worship)

No it's looking at a full career, and a full resume, and seeing exactly what kinds of film he makes. 

What benefit of the doubt does someone get to do a job differently in the future, when they've done their job EXACTLY THE SAME WAY for 30 years?

Does a scorpion get a "chance" to be a butterfly? NO...because he's a freaking scorpion. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

No it's looking at a full career, and a full resume, and seeing exactly what kinds of film he makes. 

What benefit of the doubt does someone get to do a job differently in the future, when they've done their job EXACTLY THE SAME WAY for 30 years?

Does a scorpion get a "chance" to be a butterfly? NO...because he's a freaking scorpion. 

So, Robert Rodriguez makes a certain style of film and then does Spy Kids.

I'm not as "observant" as you are so I'm willing to give Tarantino a chance to make a Star Trek film and not have it be Pulp Fiction in space. I'm willing to bet he's also not very "observant" and that maybe he wants to try something different.

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I know right? Can you imagine that the guy who directed E.T. is doing Schindler's List? It'll never work.

I realize the point you are trying to make, but some directors are versatile and others are very stylistic. For me, Tarantino falls in the later category. His "thumbprint" is unmistakable. 

It's kind of like Mike Mignola. He could draw Barbie and Wolverine, but you'd still be able to tell it was Mignola's art. 

I am a huge Tarantino fan. I am also a huge Star Trek fan. I just think there are better options. 

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Tarantino Trek just because...

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

I realize the point you are trying to make, but some directors are versatile and others are very stylistic. For me, Tarantino falls in the later category. His "thumbprint" is unmistakable. 

It's kind of like Mike Mignola. He could draw Barbie and Wolverine, but you'd still be able to tell it was Mignola's art. 

I am a huge Tarantino fan. I am also a huge Star Trek fan. I just think there are better options. 

It’s very possible he would make Pulp Fiction in space. I’m willing to give him a chance to see if he can do something else.

42 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

It’s a bit difficult to defend Hateful 8 but his directing/writing skills are top notch in Inglorious Bastards and Django

I think I'm the only guy on the planet that liked the Hateful 8...

although the -script made me wonder if Tarantino gets...tumescent...whenever Samuel Jackson says the "N" word. 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Agreed!

Paramount is hugely protective of their property, I am wondering how much "hands on" Tarantino can handle from protective owners...

Edited by Artboy99

41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Agreed!

Paramount is hugely protective of their property, I am wondering how much "hands on" Tarantino can handle from protective owners...

Isn't it possible he could just do a "Star Trek" movie and not have it be Pulp Fiction in space? If Robert Rodriguez could do freakin' Spy Kids...

23 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Isn't it possible he could just do a "Star Trek" movie and not have it be Pulp Fiction in space? If Robert Rodriguez could do freakin' Spy Kids...

No, from his track record of not doing movies like 'Spy Kids' after 20 films that seem to have the same framework. But maybe he will shock everyone.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

No, from his track record of not doing movies like 'Spy Kids' after 20 films that seem to have the same framework. But maybe he will shock everyone.

So, Robert Rodriguez had a track record of doing movies like Spy Kids?