• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tarantino's Star Trek

96 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He's the guy who said "this isn't your fathers Star Trek".

The same people who are poo pooing Tarantino as director of Star Trek have no issue with 6'2 pretty boy Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine and love him in the role. It's a joke.

Take a close look at Tarantino's filmography, have you seem much growth, evolution, or deviation from a very distinctive style of storytelling, visual imagery, and physical effects? 

Tarantino is great....in his milieu. I just wouldn't expect him to excel in a Victorian England-set period piece centered on issues of the day any more than I'd expect him to mesh with Roddenberry's Utopian vision of the future. 

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I know right? Can you imagine that the guy who directed E.T. is doing Schindler's List? It'll never work.

Tarantino films all have a certain signature to them that makes Tarantino films recognizable as his. In this case he would be making something different from his norm. He probably can make a decent Star Trek film if given the opportunity.

Just now, grebal said:

A popular example (not director obviously) was Mike "Mr. Mom" Keaton as the Batman.

And personally I found Snyder's gratuitous gore in Watchmen excessive, but loved the source material so much found a way to get by it.

I'm a big fan of Michael Keaton, I was not a big fan of him as Batman.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Tarantino films all have a certain signature to them that makes Tarantino films recognizable as his. In this case he would be making something different from his norm. He probably can make a decent Star Trek film if given the opportunity.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit for having the talent to adapt to the material and not make Pulp Fiction in space.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I know right? Can you imagine that the guy who directed E.T. is doing Schindler's List? It'll never work.

Except that Spielberg had already done films like The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, and Always before Schindler's List, which showed a type of emotional range and evolution to the point that no one would have used your two data points to dismiss him. 

Edited by comix4fun

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit for having the talent to adapt to the material and not make Pulp Fiction in space.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It is a difficult decision if you are the owner of the property. It is much to risk in this age of fickle movie goers.

Just now, comix4fun said:

Except that Spielberg had already done films like The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, and Always before Schindler's List, which showed a type of emotional range and evolution to the point that no one would have used your two data points to dismiss him. 

9_9

OK, substitute Schindler's List with The Color Purple...and I know you're smart enough to have gotten my point.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

It is a difficult decision if you are the owner of the property. It is much to risk in this age of fickle movie goers.

Are they really that fickle? I see absolute garbage doing huge box office, so that doesn't exactly make me think the average moviegoer is very fickle.

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I think he's probably capable of creating something different and out of his norm, but there's nothing in his resume that suggests he's ever been willing to do so.

I mean, look at his directorial resume....

Res. Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Jackie Brown

KB1

KB2

Sin City (in part)

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

Hateful 8.

Lots of great movies there, not a ton of range in tone, style, look and feel. 

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

So Ridley Scott should've just stuck with doing commercials or Science Fiction movies?

9_9

OK, substitute Schindler's List with The Color Purple...and I know you're smart enough to have gotten my point.

Yeah, but your point was to compare a director with massive range and willingness to tell any story with a guy who's got formidable skills but ZERO willingness to tell stories outside his defined range.

We're 30 years into Tarantino's career....wouldn't the kind of range you think he has, have demonstrated itself by now? 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I think he's probably capable of creating something different and out of his norm, but there's nothing in his resume that suggests he's ever been willing to do so.

I mean, look at his directorial resume....

Res. Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Jackie Brown

KB1

KB2

Sin City (in part)

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

Hateful 8.

Lots of great movies there, not a ton of range in tone, style, look and feel. 

Agreed.

I wouldn't hire Tarantino as the director for the next Star Trek film if I owned the property. You would only hire him if you were willing to take on some risk and try a new approach ( which isn't Paramounts way of things ).

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Are they really that fickle? I see absolute garbage doing huge box office, so that doesn't exactly make me think the average moviegoer is very fickle.

Tarantino is far less of a risk, even before the recent events, than an absolute Troll like Brett Ratner who lacks skill, vision, ability, brains, and maturity. 

So I don't think Tarantino is as big of a risk as some of the other "names" in Hollywood. He'd do a better job than a jack-wang like Ratner (for example only) but his style is still not a fit for Trek. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

Yeah, but your point was to compare a director with massive range and willingness to tell any story with a guy who's got formidable skills but ZERO willingness to tell stories outside his defined range.

We're 30 years into Tarantino's career....wouldn't the kind of range you think he has, have demonstrated itself by now? 

Had he proven his massive range after his first several movies?

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he won't turn it into Pulp Fiction in space.

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Tarantino is far less of a risk, even before the recent events, than an absolute Troll like Brett Ratner who lacks skill, vision, ability, brains, and maturity. 

So I don't think Tarantino is as big of a risk as some of the other "names" in Hollywood. He'd do a better job than a jack-wang like Ratner (for example only) but his style is still not a fit for Trek. 

If Robert Rodriguez could do Spy Kids, I'm willing to give Tarantino a chance to do something out of his regular comfort zone.

Had he proven his massive range after his first several movies?

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he won't turn it into Pulp Fiction in space.

So "Django in Space" or "Kill Bill in Space".

I've watched Spielberg's movies, I've appreciated Spielberg's movies.....Tarantino is no Spielberg.....

To actually answer your question, hell yes Spielberg demonstrated his range in his first several films. He successfully (massively in most cases) handled tense drama and terror (Jaws), mature and thoughtful philosophy set in a sci-fi story (Close Encounters), High Spirited Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Ark), and one of the most touching stories of acceptance and unconditional love ever put to film (E.T.). 

Just because they all made boatloads of cash doesn't mean he made the same film every time. These 4 blockbusters that predated The Color Purple, and Schindler's and others are all dramatically different films...in tone, style, storytelling, message and execution. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I've watched Spielberg's movies, I've appreciated Spielberg's movies.....Tarantino is no Spielberg.....

To actually answer your question, hell yes Spielberg demonstrated his range in his first several films. He successfully (massively in most cases) handled tense drama and terror (Jaws), mature and thoughtful philosophy set in a sci-fi story (Close Encounters), High Spirited Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Ark), and one of the most touching stories of acceptance and unconditional love ever put to film (E.T.). 

Just because they all made boatloads of cash doesn't mean he made the same film every time. These 4 blockbusters that predated The Color Purple, and Schindler's and others are all dramatically different films...in tone, style, storytelling, message and execution. 

9_9

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

9_9

I accept. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I accept. 

He was a popcorn movie maker who became a film director. I don't mean popcorn movie director as a pejorative either as I am a big fan of that version of Spielberg.

I know you're much smarter than I am, but even this dummy would not have imagined that the guy who directed Duel would someday direct Saving Private Ryan.