• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 9 *DELETED*

110 posts in this topic

THE BOOK FOR THIS ROUND IS NOW NULL AND VOID. ANYONE WHO HAS SUBMITTED A GRADE SO FAR IS VOIDED.

IN A FEW MINUTES I WILL POST A NEW BOOK FOR ROUND 9.

THANKS AND SORRY FOR THE MINOR MISHAP.

AND FOR PETES SAKE KEEP THE PEACE, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A FUN 27_laughing.gif CONTEST flowerred.gif

THE BOOK FOR THIS ROUND IS NOW NULL AND VOID. ANYONE WHO HAS SUBMITTED A GRADE SO FAR IS VOIDED.

AND FOR PETES SAKE KEEP THE PEACE, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A FUN 27_laughing.gif CONTEST flowerred.gif

I was going to guess 9.0

Was that the grade of this x-book?

poke2.gif

....and fair. thumbsup2.gif

Everybody is taking this wayyyyy too seriously. I didn't read the whole Round 8 thread, but I'm figuring that Greggy (a) told some people, but not others, about the tanning interiors or (b) didn't let anybody know.

Greggy and Nikos are doing this contest on their own free time. If they don't do it perfectly to your eyes, then start a contest yourself and watch yourself get criticized left and right for not running a "perfect" contest.

Fair? What's fair in life?

And it's no coincidence that trouble started going to 3 contests a week. poke2.gif

Everybody is taking this wayyyyy too seriously. I didn't read the whole Round 8 thread, but I'm figuring that Greggy (a) told some people, but not others, about the tanning interiors or (b) didn't let anybody know.

Greggy and Nikos are doing this contest on their own free time. If they don't do it perfectly to your eyes, then start a contest yourself and watch yourself get criticized left and right for not running a "perfect" contest.

Fair? What's fair in life?

And it's no coincidence that trouble started going to 3 contests a week. poke2.gif

If you're also going to invite 70+ people to spend time playing the contest, the least you should provide them with is an even-handed disbursement of information. Nikos has handled these contests impecably, and I've said so over and over.

If you're also going to invite 70+ people to spend time playing the contest, the least you should provide them with is an even-handed disbursement of information. Nikos has handled these contests impecably, and I've said so over and over.

Agreed. Nikos acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

My suggestion would be to post the scan, grading notes and any observable issue, e.g., the scratch on back is on the slab, not the book or there is a 1 inch corner bend that's difficult to see in scan.

Period. No questions.

Everyone gets the same info and a level playing field, and Nikos gets a break from answering countless questions.

I was going to guess 9.0

poke2.gif

Grade? bumpit.gif

My suggestion would be to post the scan, grading notes and any observable issue, e.g., the scratch on back is on the slab, not the book or there is a 1 inch corner bend that's difficult to see in scan.

Period. No questions.

Everyone gets the same info and a level playing field, and Nikos gets a break from answering countless questions.

Not so fast. Being able to discern the defects from the scan is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME, isn't it? If we're spoon fed where they are and what to look for, it defeats the purpose of playing this game.

Period. No questions.

Not so fast. Being able to discern the defects from the scan is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME, isn't it? If we're spoon fed where they are and what to look for, it defeats the purpose of playing this game.

I agree but interior damage/tanning/staining should be noted.

poke2.gif

This is exactly right, of course "hidden defects" should be disclosed, but a scan of the Windy & Willy book provided all the evidence one would need to be able to see the cover was affected by tanning. I'm against disclosure of grader's notes.

Man Red, that was a lot of whining that just ended up throwing the contest out of whack!! foreheadslap.gif

I was going to guess 9.0

poke2.gif

Grade? bumpit.gif

8.5 smile.gif

I didn't want to get into this in the middle of a game, but since it has come up in a big way:

My personal feeling is that any and all hidden defects or pertinent 'quirks' that the book has should be revealed up front, but from then on NO QUESTIONS should be allowed.

This may not be the perfect solution - some may feel that full disclosure would level the playing field too much - but it does ease the burden on the people kind enough to devote their spare time to running the game.

Which reminds me, I want to give a big thanks to Nikos and Greggy for their time. Your efforts are appreciated!

thumbsup2.gif

EDIT: I see Zipper was way ahead of me on this. insane.gif

I was going to guess 9.0

poke2.gif

Grade? bumpit.gif

8.5 smile.gif

So I would have got my 2 pts! 893applaud-thumb.gif