• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 9 *DELETED*

110 posts in this topic

What is the problem with graders' notes AND the scan? Defects in a scan often look different than they do when the book is in hand. Sometimes they're invisible in a scan, so the notes help tell you that there is something there that you can't otherwise see.

Any defect that can't be seen in the scan, or if they look different in the scan than they do in person, they should be disclosed. However, "large tear front cover" that's obvious in the scan should not be disclosed - the playas need to be able to look at a book and find these defects (and be aware of what they're looking for).

If it's obvious, then what difference does it make if you get graders' notes?

If it's not obvious, then graders' notes are essential.

If it's unclear whether what you're seeing is a trick of the scan or an actual defect, graders' notes are essential. When you grade a comic book in hand (like CGC does) you don't have to worry about this because you can tell what is a defect and what is not.

I can see the point you're making about some people being more observant than others and how giving graders' notes levels the playing field in an area where it should not be leveled. But assuming that most people here are pretty observant, I believe that most people here looking at a book in hand would notice all of the defects on any given book if they spent enough time looking it over. Then it would just be a matter of interpreting them and assigning a grade, which is really the tough part about grading accurately.

This contest is about seeing who can guess what CGC graded a book. To do that, we each need to know as much information as possible about the defects and also which defects CGC thought were significant enough to mention or not mention in the notes.

This contest is not about giving the grade that WE think the book is. If I disagree with how CGC treats bindery chips on silver age books, I am still going to give my CGC 9.4 guess to Nikos even if I think the book is really a 9.0.

This contest is not about who can count the most defects from a scan. If that were the goal of the contest, we wouldn't be sending Nikos our grade guesses, we'd be sending him a list of defects we saw.

Could I ask you something......WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR AVATAR? I've been staring at it for weeks now and everytime I do I feel like I'm lying on an operating table about to have my appendix taken out!

You're not far off.

How's that appendix doing? poke2.gif

I can see the point you're making about some people being more observant than others and how giving graders' notes levels the playing field in an area where it should not be leveled. But assuming that most people here are pretty observant, I believe that most people here looking at a book in hand would notice all of the defects on any given book if they spent enough time looking it over. Then it would just be a matter of interpreting them and assigning a grade, which is really the tough part about grading accurately.

I agree with this implicitly.

Explicitly, too.

THE BOOK FOR THIS ROUND IS NOW NULL AND VOID. ANYONE WHO HAS SUBMITTED A GRADE SO FAR IS VOIDED.

IN A FEW MINUTES I WILL POST A NEW BOOK FOR ROUND 9.

THANKS AND SORRY FOR THE MINOR MISHAP.

AND FOR PETES SAKE KEEP THE PEACE, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A FUN 27_laughing.gif CONTEST flowerred.gif

I was going to guess 9.0

Was that the grade of this x-book?

poke2.gif

Grade? bumpit.gif

8.5 smile.gif

OVERGRADED!!!!! WAY.....7.5 at best..... sumo.gifsumo.gif

Not so fast. Being able to discern the defects from the scan is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME, isn't it? If we're spoon fed where they are and what to look for, it defeats the purpose of playing this game.

The grading notes are not going to "spoon feed" anyone data (a complete list of defects) that they can plug into a program and "compute" a grade. The grading notes don't defeat the purpose of the game, they just ensure we have the same information as the CGC people grading the book.

In my view, the the whole point of the contest is weighing the severity of defects and arriving at the grade!

Now you're talking about grading notes only, when before you were saying something else:

My suggestion would be to post the scan, grading notes and any observable issue, e.g., the scratch on back is on the slab, not the book or there is a 1 inch corner bend that's difficult to see in scan.

Period. No questions.

Everyone gets the same info and a level playing field, and Nikos gets a break from answering countless questions.

It's that last part about 'any observable issue' that I disagree with, and I think it would be less fun to have that information spoon fed to the contestants.

If you're also going to invite 70+ people to spend time playing the contest, the least you should provide them with is an even-handed disbursement of information. Nikos has handled these contests impecably, and I've said so over and over.

Agreed. Nikos acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

My suggestion would be to post the scan, grading notes and any observable issue, e.g., the scratch on back is on the slab, not the book or there is a 1 inch corner bend that's difficult to see in scan.

Period. No questions.

Everyone gets the same info and a level playing field, and Nikos gets a break from answering countless questions.

Not so fast. Being able to discern the defects from the scan is the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME, isn't it? If we're spoon fed where they are and what to look for, it defeats the purpose of playing this game.

No, that is not the point of the game. Being able to guess what CGC graded the book is the point of the game. You can't do that consistently without knowing what defects they saw when they graded it.

If you think you can see all of the defects in a scan that you can see in hand, you are sorely mistaken.

Trying to guess what CGC graded the book depends upon being able to discern the defects from the scan and by asking questions.

I AGREE you can't guess CGC's grade as consistently with just a scan and by asking questions as you could by having the book in hand (that's obvious), but THAT'S why it's a contest and not an exercise. Two steps, first discern defects, second apply those defects you've identified to arrive at a grade (that you think CGC graded it, obviously).

And where exactly did I say that I think I can see all of the defects in a scan?

makepoint.gif

DAMMIT!!! I WORK HARD ALL DAY AND I MISS ALL THE WHINING!!!

Almost makes me want to quit my job... makepoint.gif

BTW, keep it up guys, your doing a hell of a job!! thumbsup2.gif

it's time

waah.jpg

no need to be a drama queen, if you get a bunched wad over an online "free" contest, then you should really get out more

now all those who can't seem to hang with the big boys should quit and make my rise to the top that much easier 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

a wise man once said "to get to the top you must move forward"

have no clue what the drunk [#@$%!!!] was talking about confused-smiley-013.gif