• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Driving to E.Gerber

9 posts in this topic

I'm driving to E.Gerber to pick up a large order of Mylites and such. Figured I'd take a scenic trip and save the over $150 in shipping costs; put that torwards comics. At any rate, I'm heading there from the Philly area. Does anyone know of good comics shops along the way? I'm also making a stop at Heroes and Legends (hitman1099 on E-bay) in Wilimington DE to pick up some CGC books.

Go up to Marc Logan's Cards, Comics, and Collectables in Reisterstown. Marc's got a grea selection. Far and away the best in Balt. There's also another store in Wilmington-Captain Blue Hen or something odd like that. I was only there once, but the had a decent mid-grade SA selection.

I got a question: I bought a few thosuand mylars from gerber's company a few years back. And I found the construction shoddy! Many were stuck together. And about 10% split apart as I slid comics into them!

I complained and was treated shoddily as well!! Anyone else have a similar horror story with them?

Gerber's initial supply of Mylar snugs were very shoddy but they did improve. Haven't seen the splitting that was very evident in their early stock! frown.gif

I have purchased 1000 Mylites and half-backs from E Gerber in the last two months. While I have had some problems with bags splitting or seams popping when I put my comics in them, these have been very rare. Maybe 10 of the 1000 bags had a problem. When you consider that I'm getting 3 or 4 bags with each package of 100 Mylites and still have some extras left over, I'm not too upset that a couple of them broke.

Well, seeing as each of you who responded has had better success rates lately than I did a few years back maybe be due to early manufacturing setup issues that they have since resolved. That seems to be the consensus opinion. Ill still find it hard to ever order from them again.

Which is ironic because, as I understood it, Ernie Gerber developed/created/patented (not sure which is most accurate) "Mylars sleeves" for comics. But he leased the technology and patents (again not sure of the sequence of events) to Bill Cole or maybe others and only recently, a few years back, was allowed to go back into the Mylar manufacturing business again. I sent in my order in large part to SUPPORT him in what was described at the time as an injustice done to him. Anybody remember this story?

I've heard several versions of the Cole/Gerber story. The last one I heard from a long-time dealer in my area said that the two were partners where Cole developed the manufacturing process and Gerber ran the public face of the business and landed the trademarks on product names like "Mylite" and "Archive". I haven't heard the whole story from an undeniably reputable source.

I do know that Cole is in the manufacturing business and makes other stuff besides comic supplies, which indirectly supported this version of the story. I haven't heard anybody say that Gerber knew how to get the bags made before he hooked up with Cole, but maybe he did.