• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover question
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I have ton's of low grade books and some have writing/drawing on the cover, they are known as "Reading Copies" and make collecting and filling your runs more affordable.

They are Not "Investment Books".

IMO you need to learn about Comic Book Grades and Comic Book Grading so you know what you are buying and not overpaying/overbidding on eBay.

Here are some reference materials that would help guide you through the process.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603602097

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513338817&sr=8-1&keywords=overstreet+comic+book+grading+guide

On 12/14/2017 at 10:16 AM, Yodisd said:
On 12/14/2017 at 10:11 AM, lizards2 said:

I found it on eBay sold listings.  The photo is terrible for assessing grade, but it is probably a VG- or G/VG or less.  The selling price for that, even in a slab, is about $25.

I paid 29 for it, 34 with shipping. When I got it I messaged the seller about the signature on front and he said a lot of the old books have kids signatures on them but the book wasn’t ruined.  He said he thought the book was worth 35-40 as is but could double with Disney purchasing fox.  So I’m still wondering about submitting it, I think I probably will.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fantastic-Four-26-Avengers-Hulk-/202112089606?hash=item2f0ed1be06%3Ag%3AdJ8AAOSwb3laCYLg&nma=true&si=ocKH%2BxSyCMkjbQ66xF9vSGbg2GQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OK-- the seller included a close up picture of the kid writing on the book. They assigned it no grade or even said it was a "nice copy"

23 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fantastic-Four-26-Avengers-Hulk-/202112089606?hash=item2f0ed1be06%3Ag%3AdJ8AAOSwb3laCYLg&nma=true&si=ocKH%2BxSyCMkjbQ66xF9vSGbg2GQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OK-- the seller included a close up picture of the kid writing on the book. They assigned it no grade or even said it was a "nice copy"

At least he did took our advice to not buy low grade READER comics with “nice copy” terms. xD 

Good job, grasshopper  (thumbsu

Edited by Fan Boy

On 12/14/2017 at 4:50 PM, gadzukes said:

I personally would not slab either of your comics.  They are too low of a grade.  It wouldn't be cost effective once you paid to ship them and paid for the grading/slabbing and paid to have them shipped back.  Just enjoy them the way they are..... a couple of great lower grade comics.

Agreed 100%.  You are losing money by slabbing these. 

Many people slab only books worth $100 or more.  Or if they plan on selling the book very soon and think they will make back the cost of grading, time, and seller fees.  

Someday these might be worth grading.  Do it then.  Or maybe it would be fun for you to get graded.

I guess why get it graded is the best question.

Echoing the sentiments here:
1. You'd be throwing money away getting either of these slabbed.

2. Use the Please Grade My Book thread to get opinions like this so the board doesn't get cluttered up with multiple threads of the same topic, plus you'll get experienced graders on there.  It's a fun thread.

3. I'd give the FF a 3.0 maybe-- pics are terrible, and the Spidey a 1.5-2.0

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Yodisd said:

Hi, I just bought a fantastic four 26 and someone signed their name across the cover, is that really bad?? Is it ok or worth submitting it?

Here's a better question -- what would be YOUR reason for submitting it? 

As several others have pointed out, you'd be losing money submitting this book in the immediate term but might manage to make (literally) a few dollars far down the road just based on inflation.  But does this particular issue hold some special place in your heart where don't mind being in the red?  Or are just trying to score a good eBay bargain (which is absolutely possible, but requires a lot of attention to detail)?

I would say generally except for sentimental reasons, if book cost + slab cost (including shipping/insurance to/from CGC) > realizable slabbed book price, you probably shouldn't slab it.  That seems like fairly basic and reasonable math.  Your mileage may vary.... This equation should probably apply to most things in your life when considering paying for services to alter an object you own.  But what do I know?

8 minutes ago, revat said:

I would say generally except for sentimental reasons, if book cost + slab cost (including shipping/insurance to/from CGC) > realizable slabbed book price, you probably shouldn't slab it.  That seems like fairly basic and reasonable math.  Your mileage may vary.... This equation should probably apply to most things in your life when considering paying for services to alter an object you own.  But what do I know?

Your advice is very good, but runs contrary to the "business models" of 90% of those trying to sell their over-valued and over-priced slabs on eBay...., :baiting: 

I thank the gods for those people, as I love low-balling their auctions, and making low best offers when they are financially on the ropes from their previous bad decisions...., :banana: 

I think many people who read threads on here get caught up in the whole idea of owning graded/slabbed comics.

There are reasons to get something graded-- sometimes you want to make sure the books are unrestored, though there are ways to do that without the slabbing. Some like to create registry sets though that is more likely a small subset of collectors. Others like the way the books look in the slab or plan to display said graded copy. Or perhaps you are  wanting to get something signed and authenticated. Some people just like doing it for their own reasons. Nothing wrong with it-- they are your books.

But the main reason one might consider getting books graded professionally is take high value items and make them easier to trade/sell.

So for collectors like myself who are not in the process of selling books-- and want to be able to look/read them -- keeping them stored raw inside good storage materials (bagged/boarded) is the way to go. I find that is the best way to enjoy the books. I have some books that might do well selling as graded copies. And when that time comes, I may go that route.

9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Your advice is very good, but runs contrary to the "business models" of 90% of those trying to sell their over-valued and over-priced slabs on eBay...., :baiting: 

I thank the gods for those people, as I love low-balling their auctions, and making low best offers when they are financially on the ropes from their previous bad decisions...., :banana: 

So you're that guy...

1 minute ago, adampasz said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

So you're that guy...

:cloud9:

You ain't winning unless you're irritating folks....., 

Edited by lizards2
spelling