• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Directors Cut

10 posts in this topic

Who wouldn’t double dip and buy the Directors Special Edition, Extended, Unrated Cut of their favorite movie? Cash grab? Sometimes. In some cases like James Cameron’s The Abyss, we get a completely new ending that is infinitely better than the theatrical release. 

I just watched a film online that was destroyed by the critics. The Snowman. The director made Let the right one in and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The screenwriter previously wrote Drive. Actors include Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson, Val Kilmer, J. K. Simmons and others. Film based on a best selling novel. Of course I’m going to watch it, I don’t care about the critics. The movie was not bad. That’s just being a lazy reviewer. This strange film was obviously broken. Ok, you can say it was bad that they released it like this and one wonders how much studio interference was involved in ruining what could have been a great film. People are wanting a Directors Cut of Justice League, well I want the 3 hour version of The Snowman. The version I watched was one hour and fifty-nine minutes. One of the subplots involved J.K. Simmons character and halfway through the film, he disappears. No mention of him ever again. Not even a conversation where someone says, oh well the killer must have got him. Nope, nothing. Like he just didn’t show up at the set for work one day. There were scenes that jumped to another new scene right in the middle of a conversation. And dialogue was edited without filming over so their lips did not match what they were saying. Like a bad 70’s Kung-Fu dub. And this is a major picture. Even though the director says he has 3 hours, he still did not finish filming like 15 to 20% of the screenplay. 

There are scenes of great beauty in this film as they show Norway in a similar fashion to the opening of Al Pacino’s Insomnia. There is even beauty in the horrible death scene where a corpse in the snow is covered with white birds. I really want to know what happened here and I hope to see a finished version one day because despite the film being broken, I know there is greatness in there.

I sort of went off topic since I described a film that currently does not have a DC available but you get the point of the thread. So pick a Directors Cut and tell us why it worked for you. Or why it didn’t. Or a film that you think needs a DC. 

THE EAGLE comparison: US Theatrical Version (PG-13) vs. Unrated Cut

e_cover.jpg

Compared are the US Theatrical Cut (PG-13) and the Unrated Cut (both included on the US DVD by Universal)

- 20 differing parts, including
* 5 parts with alternative material
* 5 parts, where only the PG-13 versions longer

- Difference: 7 sec
* Additional material PG-13 version: 15 sec
* Additional material Unrated version: 22 sec

Edited by Bosco685

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Did you pick up 'The Eagle The Unrated Cut' yet?

I liked the movie anyway but based on your recommendation I bought it on iTunes. I have not watched it though. Will be a great Saturday night flick to enjoy again.

FANTASTIC FOUR (2005) comparison: US Theatrical Version vs. Extended Version

e_cover.jpg

After the renaissance of the super heroes has been dominated on the big screen by dark and violent movies, in 2005 Fantastic Four made an attempt to show the funny side of heroes in costumes. the pseudo-intellectual touch that most other producers wanted to put into their movies is completely missing here. Fantastic Four attempts to score with not revolutionary but decent effects, much humor, corny one-liners and, plain and simple, being cool. And what do you know, it worked. The movie was a success and eventually spawned a sequel - though not without FOX providing the American fans with an Extended Version of the first movie.

For the European audience this version is rather uninteresting since the new scenes are present as a whole among the deleted scenes on the DVDs. For the American audience, however, the purchase may not be a bad idea because until the Extended Version was released the only available DVD was a Single-Disc containing only three of the numerous deleted scenes as well as lacking the extraordinary and very detailed Making of Heroes are Born that the European DVDs contained. On top of that the viewer is now able to choose between the Theatrical and the Extended Version. A remarkable release indeed.

Interesting is that the original American version (meaning the version on the first DVD release) is identical with the British version. This version is different from other DVD versions, for example the ones from Germany or Hong Kong, in terms of special effects and a few minor scenes. The old US/UK version and the HK/German version respectively contained a long storyline scene that was completely missing in the other version (US-&UK version: promenade scene / HK/German version: observatory scene). The Extended Version features both scenes consecutively, as well as a little change on Reeds grimace. So the Extended Version contains all relevant scenes.

US Theatrical Version:  106 minutes NTSC
Extended Version:  126 minutes NTSC

extended with 12 scenes with a total running time of 20:11 minutes

Edited by Bosco685

DARK CITY comparison: Theatrical Version vs. Director's Cut

e_cover.jpg

Four years after the success of "The Crow", Alex Proya's second big movie was released in movies theaters: "Dark City". A visionary masterpiece which questions the apprehended reality in a very complex way. On 07.29.2008, 10 years after its start in theaters, the Director's Cut was released on DVD and Blu-ray.

The Director's Cut is the preferential version. Thanks to all the extensions, the DC has more substance and some new aspects. In combination with the modifications of the coloring and the new effects, the movie looks just better and makes a better impression.

The comparison has been split up in two parts. Part 1 deals with the general differences like the new coloring and the modified SFX. Part 2, the actual comparison, contains all the recuts, extensions, cuts etc.

The scenes marked inred are missing in the DC, they're only in the Theatrical Version. The scenes marked in green are missing in the Theatrical Version, they're just in the DC. Blue marks the alternate scenes.

If the screens are being compared, find the screens from the DC on the left and the corresponding scenes from the Theatrical Version on the right.

Used short form:

DC - Director's Cut

Running times:

DC: 111:43 Min (NTSC)
Theatrical Version: 100:25 Min (NTSC)

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

I liked the movie anyway but based on your recommendation I bought it on iTunes. I have not watched it though. Will be a great Saturday night flick to enjoy again.

If you read the comparison above, it gives you a feel for the differences. Timing is close to the same, but scenes will be slightly different to make it more realistic.

You asked for it.

‘IT’ Director’s Cut Arriving in 2018

IT just hit Digital HD and it’s slated to arrive on DVD/Blu-ray/4K Ultra HD on January 9, 2018. However, while the disc will contain deleted scenes, some fans were hoping for a director’s cut that included the cut footage as well as other scenes liked the infamous “Pennywise eats a baby,” but it looked like that wasn’t to be.

However, now Bloody Disgusting reports that a director’s cut is on the way for 2018. It will reinsert the deleted and extended scenes, but we don’t know what else it will contain to entice fans to buy the film again. BD speculates that there are other deleted scenes, not included on the January release, that are being held back to entice fans to purchase the film twice.

While double-dips are nothing new, and there’s certainly nothing forcing fans to buy either edition, it’s still a disappointing practice. At this point, it may just be more prudent to wait until both IT and It: Chapter Two are released and buy the inevitable Super Special Edition Bundle that contains everything rather than getting it piecemeal.

We don’t know when the IT: Director’s Cut is slated to arrive in 2018, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it arrives sometime around September, which would be in time for the holiday season and to get the marketing rolling on It: Chapter Two, which arrives on September 6, 2019.