• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is comic "pressing"?

103 posts in this topic

Nope, and anyone who's been reading the boards for the last year and half and continued to stockpile the 9.6's and 9.8's (especially with the newer labels) had better love pressed books. Because they've been supporting the practice with their dollars and their denial.

This is very interesting. If more people start to believe that it is but a snap of the fingers to press a book up to a 9.6 or 9.8 and if the values of ultra-high-grade books drop because of the stigma associated with pressing, maybe the pricing scale will look less like a geometric progression and more like a bell curve. Pricing on AF#15 could be like this:

2.0=$5,000

4.0=$10,000

6.0=$16,000

8.0=$20,000

9.0=$40,000

9.2=$20,000

9.4=$16,000

9.6=$10,000

9.8=$5,000

It will be the little non-color-breaking bends on the 8.0s and 9.0s that tell us that the book has not been pressed, and is pure, fresh, and desirable! Unless of course we add a little bend after pressing to throw off the scent. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

pretty funny and somewhat interesting despite the tongue-in-cheek.

i started to reply to Zanarkand (or somebody) who was going on about folks buying 9.2's to press up to 9.6's and 9.8's. i personally don't believe that any but a very small percentage of books would benefit from pressing and then an even smaller percentage could get bumped up 3 grades. many, many, many books will not improve with pressing.

i suspect there are those who hunt down the nicer 9.0's and 9.2's with a specific eye to improve them a notch or so (which would still probably prove quite profitable.)

i'd really like to know how Chris' business model is set up. will he deal with john q. public or just dealers as you opined earlier. and i'd REALLY like to have all the conspiracy theorists either PUT-UP or SHUT-UP regarding CGC's supposed past dabbling with pressing comics in the past........... sumo.gif

How well do you think GM would do in the marketplace if tomorrow, its CEO admitted publically that every car that now comes off the line has been tampered with and will fall to pieces within 2 years?

While I agree that complete transparency would be ideal, isn't the above comparison a bit extreme? Does anyone actually believe that pressed comics will fall apart within 2 years? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC are now officially (but without disclosure) doctoring books sent to their 'independent' asses and I'm the one accussed of being extreme? tongue.gif

Yes. You didn't answer my question. Does anyone actually believe that pressed books will fall apart within two years?

i started to reply to Zanarkand (or somebody) who was going on about folks buying 9.2's to press up to 9.6's and 9.8's. i personally don't believe that any but a very small percentage of books would benefit from pressing and then an even smaller percentage could get bumped up 3 grades. many, many, many books will not improve with pressing.

i suspect there are those who hunt down the nicer 9.0's and 9.2's with a specific eye to improve them a notch or so (which would still probably prove quite profitable.)

i'd really like to know how Chris' business model is set up. will he deal with john q. public or just dealers as you opined earlier. and i'd REALLY like to have all the conspiracy theorists either PUT-UP or SHUT-UP regarding CGC's supposed past dabbling with pressing comics in the past...........

I've asked you this before....but what makes you believe that pressable books are uncommon ?

And further....other than Borock's word..what is it that leads you dismiss the possibility that Chris has been pressing books all along?