• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capes

35 posts in this topic

Looking through some of my old comics got me thinking about capes that the comic characters wear.

A couple of questions...

1. Where did the idea of the cape come from?

2. Why do some heroes and villains wear capes and not others?

3. Who has the biggest cape?

4. Who has the smallest cape?

5. Who has the best looking cape?

6. Any opinion... You think capes are a thing of the past. Are they dieing out?, Do you think we'll see less capes on newer charaters?, Do you even like capes or not?

Lets hear some of your opimions on capes.

That's easy! Numbers 4 and 5 are both easily won by the same person. The famed Italian Castrati, G.B.Velluti (1781-1861, the last of the great Operatic Castrati) had an extremely small cape (the size of an average hanky), but was extremely ornate and bejeweled, having been awarded to him by Royalty as an extravagant gift! shocked.gif

For early super heroes such as Supes a cape was used to help simulate the feeling of flight. Without a cape it would just seem that the hero was levitating in thin air. Capes are also used to identifiy directions and movements in air. Batman was given a cape to help represent the winged body shape of a "bat" (go figure).

In general. if a superhero flys then he/she will generally have a cape.

Best Cape is Batman.

Definitely there will be less capes in the future.

Capes and cloaks date back to the earliest beginnings of the human race when it comes to heroes and villains. The religion Asatru is the religion of the northern European people and the Old Norse Gods. It dates back to over 40,000 years ago - the beginnings of human society. Asatru predates the accepted current known Norse mythology, however , its Gods are archetypes of the more known Germanic/Celtic Gods. The cape or cloak was a common form of clothing in these cold area ( and convergently developed in many other societies but the ancient European predates all others.)As time went on, the capes became more ornate, colorful, had different meanings and sometimes reflected status. It is a logical migration that the best capes/cloaks were seen on the Gods, heroes and villains. I think the first recognizable hero to wear a cape would have been the ancient Beowulf, about the 6th century ( although stories of a similar hero predate that by over 5000 years.) As time went on, you would see capes on all types of heroes and Gods - three musketeers, Greek Gods, dark capes/ cloaks representing death /evil etc... It found its way into comic book heroes. Capes did appear on a few comic characters prior to Superman ( Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, Buck Rogers characters) etc but was popularized by him and the above forum member was correct that it was to done to shown flight ( although Superman did not fly in the beginning - he jumped .)

Well that's my take on the capes origin in comics. I think more people should wear capes.

Well that's my take on the capes origin in comics. I think more people should wear capes and I thinbk I'll star wearing on e to help it make a comeback to our society. grin.gif

Tomega

6. Think capes will be out of fashion like men's hats. Amaz Spidey, Wolvie, Punisher, Hulk, DD, FF don't have capes.

Capes could make the character more regal. e.g. Dr Doom, 40s Capt Marvel Family, early Subby.

Capes are just not practical for your average super-hero as JC's cape scene illustrates.

I think they were only ever used for dramatic effect by certain artists.

I agree with gman that McFarlane did a pretty fine cape. Although he did get slightly carried away on Spawn. grin.gif

And while we're on the subject, Cape-Ons (capons) are pretty damn cool as well!! cool.gif I've always preferred capons to the more traditional turkey as the mealtime holiday bird. The capon has very recently (2001) been voted by the Italian Govt. as it's National Bird, replacing the common housefly (Italy's former National Bird from the Middle ages to 2001)!! smile.gif

Then there's Cape Cod that's a cool place to visit. Why?

I have absolutely no idea. But I don't think there are any Dung Beetles there 'cause it's my understanding they need Cape Buffalo. Why? It's something bug said.

Are we still on topic? mad.gif

Bug, this is your fault. And I don't think greggy is anyone's daughter.

So lets get back on topic.

Anyone here think McFarlane has a cape fetish? That would explain a lot.

Odin88; I don't know if Captain Marvel's was a true cape. Kind of small if it is. Maybe he's got the smallest. ROBIN would be a close 2nd as far as smallest cape.

I think CLOAK (of Cloak & Dagger) or SPAWN had the biggest capes.

My favorites were the golden age Hourman's. His had that hood with collar and that striped trim on the back.

Batman's cape.

Calender Man (Batman villain), his has those calander dates all over it to make up the cape. Kinda unique.

Another cape question; Didn't DAREDEVIL have some kind of small cape in his early issues when he wore the yellow costume?

The cape I always thought was cool was Dr. Strange's, whether it was Ditko's version or (really) anyone else's. The colors, the design, the powers, it all worked for me. OK, it was really a cloak, I guess, so call me a cloak fan.

Yours,

Cloak Fan

What Daredevil had was a small back - pack he wore like a cape. He kept his suit in it so he could change after an adventure.(Issue #3) He got rid of it when it interfered with one of his fights in a later issue. All this happened while he was wearing the yellow costume. smile.gif

On a program I watched today I found out that McFarlane liked drawing capes. That's why Spawn had a cape.