• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic values
2 2

57 posts in this topic

Just now, 1Cool said:

GPA is a summary of what slabbed (CGC) copies have sold for.  If you are trying to sell or buy a raw copy of a book it's best to look at E-Bay sold listings or Overstreet if you can't find anything on E-Bay.  But realize Overstreet prices are 90% of the time way over the prices you can actually get in real life.  But it is at least a tool to get you in the right area. 

Thanks 

Just now, 1Cool said:

GPA is a summary of what slabbed (CGC) copies have sold for.  If you are trying to sell or buy a raw copy of a book it's best to look at E-Bay sold listings or Overstreet if you can't find anything on E-Bay.  But realize Overstreet prices are 90% of the time way over the prices you can actually get in real life.  But it is at least a tool to get you in the right area. 

Isn't GPA also a paid service?

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

For up to date information its around $12 a month but they do let you look up books using (I believe) 1 year old data which will get you in the ball park unless its an ultra hot or ultra cold book.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But remember GPA is primarily taken from E-Bay sold prices (couple other sites but E-Bay is the biggest by far).  I pay for the GPA service because I like the convenience but E-Bay sold prices will do in a pinch for most books on the market.

Just now, 1Cool said:

But remember GPA is primarily taken from E-Bay sold prices (couple other sites but E-Bay is the biggest by far).  I pay for the GPA service because I like the convenience but E-Bay sold prices will do in a pinch for most books on the market.

That's what I thought, thanks! I usually have enough "sold" listings on the books I buy, so I never invested in GPA. I didn't know that they offered "year" old analysis for free, which would probably work better than Overstreet at least :) 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

For up to date information its around $12 a month but they do let you look up books using (I believe) 1 year old data which will get you in the ball park unless its an ultra hot or ultra cold book.

How do they charge more than netflix for some spreadsheets and numbers.   They are leaving a hole in the marketplace to be out-innovated.  See below. 

www.gocollect.com which gives free data on all the top trending sales and if you sign up you can look up any other 5 locked ones for free each month.  

Either way to the OP, graded prices will always be higher than raw because of both the cost to slab them and the guarantee of the grade.

Edited by 90sChild

if you want to consign to auction, the mains are heritage, comic link, pedigree, mycomicshop, comiconnect, and probably some others I forgot.  You can google any or all of those and see if any of them are right for you to buy or sell.  Of course there's always ebay too.  As for what is/is not a good deal, for a raw comic that is not ULTRA rare, like other said you can probably get enough sales data from ebay 'sold' queries to get in the ball park.  When evaluating ANY of the prices, make sure you factor in the 'fees' from the specific websites/auctions you're researching.

2 hours ago, Yodisd said:

Thanks 

Overstreet is a useful tool for identifying books with first appearances and books with value  but it's a printed book with dated information.

ebay sold items is a great place to start but sales results vary depending on the seller's feedback and their reputation.  Some sellers like mycomicshop are excellent graders but many are not.  Heritage auctions is also a useful resource as they have about 600,000 comic auctions in their archive - requires you to create a free account.  GPA is a subscription based service that tracks sales of CGC graded books, it costs about $10 per month

1 hour ago, 90sChild said:

How do they charge more than netflix for some spreadsheets and numbers.   They are leaving a hole in the marketplace to be out-innovated.  See below. 

www.gocollect.com which gives free data on all the top trending sales and if you sign up you can look up any other 5 locked ones for free each month.  

Either way to the OP, graded prices will always be higher than raw because of both the cost to slab them and the guarantee of the grade.

Horrible analogy. Volume is why.

I believe most people that use GPA use it for books that don't have as many or as often transactions. The books they give you access to can be looked up on eBay, which has the most current information. 5 books a month is not a lot.

The only real advantage Go Collect has is that it reports sales from two grading companies.

I did the research for you on this one.

Just remember that a collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay for it so the price will vary depending on want and need.

According to the 2016 Overstreet Price Guide ASM 51 is valued at $63.00 in FN 6.0 and $147.00 in VF 8.0 so approx. $105.00 in FN/VF 7.0.

According to eBay Completed listings over the last 4 month's ASM 51 in Grades from FN 6.0/FN/VF 7.0 sold for...

(All Auctions with over 5 bids)

December 7 FN/VF 7.0 $50.00

November 26 FN/VF 7.0 $40.00

November 26 FN/VF 7.0 $67.00

November 12 FN/VF 7.0 $45.22

November 2 FN 6.0 $50.00

October 10 FN+ 6.5 $42.01

October 3 FN/VF 7.0 $62.10

September 25 FN/VF 7.0 $38.00

The Average selling price over the last few month's is $49.25 .

Overstreet in this case is on the high side as to the value of this book and what is actually selling for.

Again, if I really wanted/needed a certain book to complete a run or storyline and was having a hard time finding it then I would pay over FMV to get it.

My advice/opinion...

Learn from this and enjoy the hobby of comic book collecting.

22 hours ago, Yodisd said:

What is the best way to find out what comics are worth? I’m not sure how to use the overstreet guide....

Your biggest issue is going to be grade.  The same comic can be $5 or $500 depending on the individual book's condition.  If it's not encased, then the posted grade in a sale is a guess from the person who is selling it.  Some sellers try hard to guess accurately.  Some give their comics generous extra credits.  Even the graded ones are subjective, despite the purpose of the grade making them objective, but people don't seem to have a problem with it.

Gocollect.com is a good resource.  The best advice has already been posted - what it sells for on ebay is what it's worth.  Search raw or graded sold listings to see what a comic is going for.

Another consideration is shipping if selling online. The cost of shipping is added to the price of the comic. If a comic is priced at $5.00, but the shipping is $10.00, then the buyer must be willing to spend $15.00 for the comic. I always look at the total cost of the transaction in addition to the "price" of the comic. This may include tax, buyer's premium, commission and whatever fees the seller dreams up.

16 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Another consideration is shipping if selling online. The cost of shipping is added to the price of the comic. If a comic is priced at $5.00, but the shipping is $10.00, then the buyer must be willing to spend $15.00 for the comic. I always look at the total cost of the transaction in addition to the "price" of the comic. This may include tax, buyer's premium, commission and whatever fees the seller dreams up.

Do you add the cost of gas and wear and tear on your car (or parents' car or bus fare) to the cost of your comics?  If you add the shipping cost to the price of mail ordered books, then you should.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:10 PM, 1Cool said:

There's also comicsMV.com heritage.com sold prices, pedigree.com sold prices, I think comicconnect provides pending sale prices 

I've bought plenty of books that are not recorded by GPA. Unfortunately they're only a very partial reflection of book sales

Edited by MGsimba77

21 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

There's also comicsMV.com heritage.com sold prices, pedigree.com sold prices, I think comicconnect provides pending sale prices 

I've bought plenty of books that are not recorded by GPA. Unfortunately they're only a very partial reflection of book sales

GPA won't accept  sales data from sites that want to cherry pick  data and doesn't record ungraded sales or sales of other grading company books.  And of course they aren't aware of all sales as they can't follow every site and seller.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

GPA won't accept  sales data from sites that want to cherry pick  data and doesn't record ungraded sales or sales of other grading company books.  And of course they aren't aware of all sales as they can't follow every site and seller.

Sites that cherry pick data???

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Sites that cherry pick data???

My understanding is that some sites want to cherry pick the data they submit.  By submitting only high results they'd distort the results to the high side and distort the market.  GPA, rightly, won't accept sales data unless it's all results.

14 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

My understanding is that some sites want to cherry pick the data they submit.  By submitting only high results they'd distort the results to the high side and distort the market.  GPA, rightly, won't accept sales data unless it's all results.

Ok. I'm not sure if GPA tracks Heritage/comicconnect however. I don't think they cherry pick. 

On a different note would you happen to know if a buyer can submit a sale to GPA? I bought a book recently on Amazon & would like to report it to them