• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Published or unpublished Bachalo piece? Help!
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I am looking for information about this piece done by Bachalo in 1995.

1) For what I had been told, the piece was used as SDCC cover program in 1995, but I checked online and the cover of the 1995 SDCC program is different. They probably commissioned Bachalo, but later on they changed their mind as a new logo (the eye) was made so it was decided to have the toucan on the cover (pure speculation by me)

2) I asked a seller on ebay to go trough the SDCC 1995 program catalogue to see if the piece was published as an interior pin up, but the answer was negative

3) I asked for help here on the board and a fellow collector went trough the book "comic con: 40 years of artists, writers, fans and friends" to see if the piece was published there, but again the answer was negative. He found only one piece by Bachalo and it's another image with Dream and Death done in 1995; it was used both for the  SDCC update magazine #2 and a tshirt.

4) one of the previous owners of the page still has it listed on CAF as UNUSED cover

5) I found a very old thread on the yahoo c-list where a collector (Peter Ward) asked infos about some wonderful prints/posters done back in the day and he remembers a Bachalo piece done in 1995 with Dream and Death. Another collector, called DavidM, believes the prints were produced in conjunction with the Comic Retailer trade show that used to take place in the 2 days before San Diego Comicon. Being that it was a trade show, the posters/prints were never available to the general public, so they are fairly hard to come across these days.  I contacted Peter Ward (still no reply) and I thought DaveM was David Mandel, so I contacted him but he doesn't remember the image at all. Couldn't find anything online....

Researching is a very fun part of the hobby, but finding the (positive) answer to your doubts it's even better...

Any help, folks?

Luca

2017-12-18.jpg