• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MICRONAUTS: THE MOVIE and TV Show (10/16/20)
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Micronauts Movie Gets a 2020 Release Date

Micronauts-line-up.jpg

Two years ago, Hasbro's Allspark Pictures and Paramount announced their plan to create a shared movie universe containing several popular toy brands, thus making G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and ROM exist in one world. Now, the studio is moving forward with that project with the Micronauts movie getting an official release date.

In addition to the long-awaited third G.I. Joe movie which is set to open on March 27, 2020, Micronauts will hit theaters on October 16, 2020. A third movie was announced today as well, Dungeons & Dragons, which will debut on July 23, 2021.

For those unfamiliar, Micronauts is based on a late 1970s line of toys manufactured and marketed by Mego based on and licensed from the Japanese toy company Takara's Microman toy line. The Micronaut toys were originally available between 1976 and 1980 with the line being discontinued prior to Mego's bankruptcy and dissolution in 1982. Comic books based on the toys, however, have been around off and on since 1979. First published by Marvel Comics between 1979 and 1986, IDW began publishing a new comic book series in 2016.

Micronauts is set to open in theaters on October 16, 2020.

Edited by Bosco685

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I believe the image is fan-made. I'm not sure how close to the Marvel comics this will go, so it will be interesting. But with the toys, there are so many options.

mego-micronauts-scene.jpg

Micronauts was a big line for me when I was a kid. I probably had 100 of them. That's all everyone bought me for 2 years before Star Wars toys dominated my life. 

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Micronauts was a big line for me when I was a kid. I probably had 100 of them. That's all everyone bought me for 2 years before Star Wars toys dominated my life. 

I had lots of them as well. All those interchangeable parts could be transformed into the coolest toys!

I remember taking the nerf cannon off a Micronaut toy vehicle and attaching it to a Mego head and making some weird android character that had a cannon head. All of it obtained by me with my own newspaper delivery money.

Edited by Artboy99

Seems like they have big plans for Micronauts at this time.

Hasbro Planning Micronauts Animated TV Series For 2019

Micronauts-concept-art.jpg?q=50&w=600&h=

Hasbro is working on an animated Micronauts TV series, set to launch in 2019. In 1976, the toy company Mego launched the Micronauts. It was a range of action figures featuring mysterious alien beings, and they proved tremendously popular. So much so that comic book rights were even licensed out to Marvel Comics.

Nowadays, the rights for the pint-sized superheroes are owned by Hasbro. The company has plans for a live-action Micronauts movie, to release in 2020, but it seems there are other ideas in the works as well.

Bleeding Cool has uncovered a sales guide on the Hasbro website that teases a Micronauts animated series. The sales guide explains:

“When fate brings an unlikely team of alien space explorers to earth in pursuit of the evil Baron Karza, they make a shocking discovery—on our world they are the size of action figures! The Micronauts are small heroes in a big world but the stakes are higher than ever as their miniaturized size presents dangerous obstacles at every turn. Fortunately, they forge an alliance with teenager Cameron Ruck, who will join them in their pursuit of justice. Although the Micronauts are small in stature, their bravery and adventurous spirits remain larger than life.”

It also features intriguing concept art for the series.

It seems likely that the series will be adapted from Bill Mantlo’s Marvel run. Mantlo was the one who persuaded Marvel to purchase the comic book rights in the first place. He’d fallen in love with the Micronauts when his son, Adam, got their action figures as a Christmas present.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Buy it for the brilliant Michael Golden artwork.

I did, years ago. 

I loved that artwork as a kid. His and Arthur Adams always seemed so different and entertaining. Like they enhanced the story being told visually. Which is what I would expect from a comic book.

Micronauts is the latest movie delayed to the ongoing global pandemic. Friday night, Paramount removed Micronauts from its release schedule, taking it off its June 2021 release date and moving it to an unknown date in the future. The project was technically first announced as early as 2009, as part of a huge investment by Paramount and Hasbro into the world of filmmaking.

At one point, the Micronauts franchise was supposed to be set in a massive cinematic universe that included features using other Hasbro properties like GI Joes, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, M.A.S.K., and ROM. At the time, Paramount assembled a star-studded writer's room that included Brian K. Vaughan, Nicole Perlman, Michael Chabon, Brian K. Vaughan, Lindsey Beer, Cheo Coker, John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein, Joe Robert Cole, Jeff Pinkner, Nicole Riegel, and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

The film initially received a first release date for this October, which was then bumped back to its June 4, 2021 release date. It wasn't until last September Paramount announced Dean DeBlois would pull double-duty as both writer and director. DeBlois became a prominent name in Hollywood circles for his work directing animated features like Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon.

Following on the back of Marvel's announcement earlier this week that it had reached a deal with Hasbro to release an ominibus edition of Rom the Spaceknight, Marvel is now announcing that it has struck another deal with Hasbro to release an omnibus edition of the classic 1970s/80s series, The Micronauts!

Coming out in September, MICRONAUTS: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 will collect The Micronauts #1-29 & Annual #1-2 and material from Micronauts Special Edition #1-5. Marvel will also be releasing a special facsimile edition of The Micronauts #1.

Since The Micronauts were based on a licensing deal between Marvel and Mego, when the last Micronauts comic book came out from Marvel in 1986 (six years after the toyline ended), Marvel therefore lost the rights to use the Micronauts characters in the Marvel Universe. However, Mantlo and Golden had introduced some original characters, so they were able to continue to appear in comics on occasion, and the Microverse (the microscopic universe where the Micronauts lived) continued to appear in Marvel Comics for decades (the Quantumverse in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is basically the Microverse under a different name). 

While this new licensing deal is just for the collection of the original comic books, it at least gives some hope that perhaps Marvel and Hasbro can work out a future licensing deal for brand-new Micronauts and Rom comic books set within the Marvel Universe.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:28 AM, paperheart said:

It wouldn't be a movie without Chris Pratt  attached to it.