• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the biggest mistake purchase you’ve made?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I think selling off my collections, then restarting is my biggest regret.  If I would just stood pat, I would probably have some really deep runs of Silver and Bronze age stuff.   I always seem to go back out and buy books I once owned 20 years ago. 

Back into comics after 30 year absence. In about two months and super excited with cash in wallet. Wife and I visited Manhattan. Bought some 8.0 raw xmen comics (100, 102, 103) graded by the very friendly owner of St. Marks Comics. Super excited about slabbing. Sent those babies to CGC after carefully handling them on planes across the country.

All Came back 3.5

Learn to grade. Understand you're gonna make mistakes. Learn to laugh at yourself. Don't shop at St. Marks Comics.

Gonna go back to Manhattan in March of this year again (wife loves Manhattan. She wants to get an apartment there. :p Can't find a vomit emoji). I've still got cash in wallet. Still super excited about comics. I won't be stepping foot in St. Marks Comics. Seems kinda short sighted of owner, no ???

Just did an internet search of 'em and it seems they have a GoFundMe page asking for money to stay open. That's rich, Man. Um, no. In 3 months they've raised 1k of a 75k goal. GO TEAM ST. MARKS !!!  Can I consider my over priced - over graded x men comics a donation? Oh damn, now I'm pissed I'm gonna dig for those St. Mark's receipts and go all out!! Hang on guys!!!

Comics bought Summer 2016

Xmen       St. Marks Price I paid

100            $100.00

102            $150.00

103            $125.00

104           $125.00

105           $125.00

106            $125.00

107          $125.00

108         $150.00

I know the #100 came back a 3.5 from CGC. The others were between 3.5 - 6.0

Defenders 1  Paid $160.00 for book that came back 6.0

I remember making a comment about how one of the books seems kinda beat, "Yeah, there comic books, you know," the owner said. Made sense. "Hey, here comes the sucker from Los Angeles…..!!!"

Edited by NoMan

10 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

“ did you know your last name is an adverb ?” 

A majority of that movie wouldn’t be quotable with the SJW’s

...regarding overpaying for a comic - avengers 55 - first ultron , was working on the run a few years ago and in hindsight ,should’ve waited until AFTER that movie came out 

"Maroni deported to Bulgaria.Says He's not from there!"

6 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I think selling off my collections, then restarting is my biggest regret.  If I would just stood pat, I would probably have some really deep runs of Silver and Bronze age stuff.   I always seem to go back out and buy books I once owned 20 years ago. 

we all make mistakes. I passed on an avengers 4 for $100 before the 1st IM movie.

It wasn't complete but still for the condition it was in & the price. 

2 hours ago, comics4all said:

we all make mistakes. I passed on an avengers 4 for $100 before the 1st IM movie.

It wasn't complete but still for the condition it was in & the price. 

I had a real sharp Luke Cage Hero for Hire #1 back in the day.  Probably paid no more than $30 for it.  Sold it in part of a larger purge- probably not much more than I paid for it.  It was easily an 8.5.     Now I have 2 low grade copies (probably 3.5 or 4.0) and paid a lot more than $30 each for them.  I don't think I'll find that 8.5 again in a price range I can deal with.  

3 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I had a real sharp Luke Cage Hero for Hire #1 back in the day.  Probably paid no more than $30 for it.  Sold it in part of a larger purge- probably not much more than I paid for it.  It was easily an 8.5.     Now I have 2 low grade copies (probably 3.5 or 4.0) and paid a lot more than $30 each for them.  I don't think I'll find that 8.5 again in a price range I can deal with.  

you can't sweat these  things.

sometimes I've passed on stuff that has come back to me, just keep on the hunt & you never know what will come your way!

Paid 9.2 price for a giant size X-men 1. Came back a 6.0.   Now the same local comic shop owner has stumbled across two more of the same book.    Says they are 8.5-9.   Says he heard I need an upgrade.    I have made out good on some deals with him before but this book now is like fool me once...

I only regret sending books back to the seller. A Flash 123 for 20 bucks because it had extra staples that were not mentioned. A CGC AF 15 ow/w  4.5 sl A resto. & bottom trimmed bc the seller wanted 1700 and I was only willing to pay 1400 bucks. Never got burned so far. I am very cautious. Biggest mistake: Selling my collection. 

Edited by GermanFan

Overpaid for a Teen Titans 9.8 from my LCS. It was cgc'd, but I never researched the prices.....got back into the game last year and new I wanted the first appearance back in my PC.  Althought with the new JL cameo in the movies, could probably break even now.

On 1/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, NoMan said:

Back into comics after 30 year absence. In about two months and super excited with cash in wallet. Wife and I visited Manhattan. Bought some 8.0 raw xmen comics (100, 102, 103) graded by the very friendly owner of St. Marks Comics. Super excited about slabbing. Sent those babies to CGC after carefully handling them on planes across the country.

All Came back 3.5

Learn to grade. Understand you're gonna make mistakes. Learn to laugh at yourself. Don't shop at St. Marks Comics.

*Ouch* that hurts... After having subbed a few times, I quickly realized that grading is a skill that takes awhile to develop... and for keys, it's often easier to just buy them already slabbed then try to get a "good deal" on a raw, and sub yourself. Some select few can do well with that approach, but I think a lot more people end up losing in the long run.