• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official “I’m not spending my money or my time on Star Wars Episode IX” protest thread
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Wanna see a telling series of numbers? Take a look at 2nd weekend box office of the last 3 Star Wars movies. Look at that percentage and net drop, also consider films cost like 5-10% more to see on average 2 years later and TLJ is on 100 more screens still (small but it does add to the total).  I promise you disney is looking at that number and they arent looking at the 290 million they pulled in, they are looking at the 110 million they LOST compared to TFA. Id love to see what the third week average hits like.

Capture.JPG

I don't know how much money it will make or how good it will be, but what I do know is that every single person reading or posting in this thread in protest will absolutely, positively be seeing Episode 9. :baiting:

What's surprised me about "Last Jedi" the most is the number of people suddenly proclaiming a comparative love for the prequels.  All I recall during the 2000s about fan reactions was a neverending supply of complaints about how badly George Lucas had raped the minds and childhoods of every Star Wars fan.  :makepoint:

Edited by fantastic_four

The prequels were not good movies, but they fit the saga and felt like Star Wars movies.  When they announced episode 7, people were excited and the anticipation was high.  While TFA was largely a rehash, it still felt like Star Wars.  TLJ wasn't just a bad Star Wars movie, but a bad movie overall.  I don't see much hope in what the future holds with the franchise.

36 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't know how much money it will make or how good it will be, but what I do know is that every single person reading or posting in this thread in protest will absolutely, positively be seeing Episode 9. :baiting:

What's surprised me about "Last Jedi" the most is the number of people suddenly proclaiming a comparative love for the prequels.  All I recall during the 2000s about fan reactions was a neverending supply of complaints about how badly George Lucas had raped the minds and childhoods of every Star Wars fan.  :makepoint:

Excellent point.

This last one must have been really bad for the needle to shift that much.

Been a Star Wars fan since '77, though haven't seen new one yet, will chime in when I do in a year or so.  And if breathing I'll probably watch 9 as you predict a year or so after that hits theatres.

39 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

When you look at that box office, the math is telling a different story. Folks aren't going to see this movie like they did TFA.

Again: If your job depends on you being invited to screenings to write reviews, you likely are going to like this tent pole from the (now) largest entertainment company in human history. If your someone who paid to see it and don't care about whether DisneyCo likes em, you are 50% likely to see this movie as a total turd. No studio wants this type of fan (aka folks paying them) reactions hanging on their Tent Pole big properties. Its a drag on future productions. If every-time they let Rian Johnson direct/ruin a movie they lose 100-300 million in sales and supporting merchandising, they will quickly decide how important is it to let him keep steering the ship cause money talks.