• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

premiercomicbooks on Ebay
1 1

15 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, greggy said:

Did you win the Shazam 12?

No. I was outbid 7 hours before the auction ended. The bidder has 300+ bids in the past 30 days, with 62% of them with this seller. I looked at 50 pages of feedback with the seller, and did not see a single feedback from the bidder. The bidder who outbid me also bid on like 20 of the seller's auctions ending yesterday that had bids. The bidder won only one or two.

Because of this, I got scared off worrying about the possibility of shilling. The seller may be totally legit, the bidder may be a great customer who never leaves feedback, I don't know.

I am interested in 100 pagers again, and am trying improve my collection. I am not in any huge hurry though. 

Another Shazam will come along eventually.

I just wish the "taking offers" guy on Heritage would sell me the 9.8 Adventure 416, or at least make a counteroffer. xD

52 minutes ago, icefires said:

No. I was outbid 7 hours before the auction ended. The bidder has 300+ bids in the past 30 days, with 62% of them with this seller. I looked at 50 pages of feedback with the seller, and did not see a single feedback from the bidder. The bidder who outbid me also bid on like 20 of the seller's auctions ending yesterday that had bids. The bidder won only one or two.

Because of this, I got scared off worrying about the possibility of shilling. The seller may be totally legit, the bidder may be a great customer who never leaves feedback, I don't know.

I am interested in 100 pagers again, and am trying improve my collection. I am not in any huge hurry though. 

I just wish the "taking offers" guy on Heritage would sell me the 9.8 Adventure 416, or at least make a counteroffer. xD

I was wondering if it was shilly in there.  Some of the books looked pretty highly bid on for their value.

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I was wondering if it was shilly in there.  Some of the books looked pretty highly bid on for their value.

Working as a fraud investigator during my last 15 years of employment, I think I would enjoy doing this for Ebay. I can think of lots of ways to avoid detection, but can also think of lots of ways to catch them if I had access to what I needed.

Having said that, what's in it for Ebay? Shillers who drive up prices only increase Ebay's revenue.

4 hours ago, icefires said:

Working as a fraud investigator during my last 15 years of employment, I think I would enjoy doing this for Ebay. I can think of lots of ways to avoid detection, but can also think of lots of ways to catch them if I had access to what I needed.

Having said that, what's in it for Ebay? Shillers who drive up prices only increase Ebay's revenue.

You could conceivably make the argument that eBay’s willful blindness to shilling makes them co-conspirators in substantial fraud.

25 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
5 hours ago, icefires said:

You could conceivably make the argument that eBay’s willful blindness to shilling makes them co-conspirators in substantial fraud.

I thought the problem is that shill bidding isn't really defined as fraud in the criminal code?  It seems like this ground has been well-worn in the past around here.  Maybe I disremember...,

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I thought the problem is that shill bidding isn't really defined as fraud in the criminal code?  It seems like this ground has been well-worn in the past around here.  Maybe I disremember...,

I would think any wire fraud statute would sufficiently cover it, but I’m not a lawyertician.

Just now, mattn792 said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I would think any wire fraud statute would sufficiently cover it, but I’m not a lawyertician.

Me neither, I just remember an earlier thread.  Lot's of discussion about the Texas auction house and the(ir) shill, Non-Paying Gresham.  Something like that.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/2009/10/27/heritage-auction-galleries-lawsuit-in-the-news-claims-of-fake-bidder-n-p-gresham-auction-manipulation/

I don't know whatever became of this, though.  

On 12/29/2017 at 12:07 PM, icefires said:

They never respond if you make an offer on Heritage. Don't know why they even bother? Only thing it accomplishes is to waste 72 hours of your time!