• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner problems

8 posts in this topic

Recently i bought a new scanner so that i could scan in my slabs and my raw comics. I bought a UMAX Astra Slim. The problem is scannign slabs. To start off with the whoel slab doesnt fit in perfectly but that's fine. I can always scan the book itself and the label sepertaly and photoshop em together. But this is what shows when i try to scan the slab. The "door" of the scanner doesnt shut properly when i slab is in but i cover the slab with several sheets opf thick paper to stop extra light getting in.

l33t.jpg

As you can see though is scans raw books fine.

xxerererere.jpg

Any one have any ideas as to why the slab image is so blurry and shaky? confused-smiley-013.gif Even better if they know anythign i can do to fix it.

Any one have any ideas as to why the slab image is so blurry and shaky? confused-smiley-013.gif Even better if they know anythign i can do to fix it.

You are out of luck... there are no adjustments that can be made to improve how it scans slabs.

The issue is the item you are trying to scan is suspended above the scanner glass and the scanner does not have the focal depth to clearly scan an item that is not flat on the glass. I have a CanoScan that has the same problem.

HP scanners scan slabs well. Obviously, Canon and Umax do not. Search for scanner threads, I know this has been discussed before and there may be suggestions for other brands in addition to HP that work well with slabs.

You are out of luck... there are no adjustments that can be made to improve how it scans slabs.

The issue is the item you are trying to scan is suspended above the scanner glass and the scanner does not have the focal depth to clearly scan an item that is not flat on the glass. I have a CanoScan that has the same problem.

HP scanners scan slabs well. Obviously, Canon and Umax do not. Search for scanner threads, I know this has been discussed before and there may be suggestions for other brands in addition to HP that work well with slabs.

Christo_pull_hair.gif Damnit, thanks for the info! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll go have a swatch at an old thread to see what scanner is best for raw comics and slabs.

I have the same problem...My old School ScSi scanner did it perfectly, but it was as big as a boat and stopped working after 9 years.

My new HP scanner does exactly the same as yours....tried everything to block the light, dismantled the top lid and made some skirts using cardboard and gaffer tape...nothing worked, slabs looked like kaka sorry.gif

All manufacturers have scanners capable of scanning slabs.It is not about the manufacturer, but different technology slim/flat model scanners use. All of them are obsolete for scanning slabs.

Umax presents the AstraSlim, its first CIS scanner. Instead of the normal CCD array this scanner uses Contact Image Sensors (CIS), which allow for very compact construction of flatbed scanner.

I like Canon's scanning software. Software on HP I tried was horrible.

Anyway, as said there's nothing you can do, except change your scanner. Or just deslab your books devil.gif