• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On a serious note...
1 1

77 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Paper used to make american currency will last WAY longer in a coffin then (than?) the cheap pulp-paper used to make comics. I've factored in leaking embalming fluid and that will make comics break down faster also

Maybe get them all slabbed first?

15 minutes ago, adampasz said:

I'm imagining whole new business opportunities for CGC ... grading human remains!

They won't be getting any money from me. 

My wife is under strict instructions to dump my carcass in the woods, so that the coyotes can recycle me back into the ecosystem.

11 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

My wife is under strict instructions to dump my carcass in the woods, so that the coyotes can recycle me back into the ecosystem.

Do coyotes eat reptiles??

Seriously??

Coyotes eat everything.

On my dog walk this morning, which comprises of about three miles in the hills above town, I came across 100s of coyote piles.  Most of them consisted of juniper berries and boughs.  One pile had a partially digested whole mouse in it.  Earlier this year, they were eating all the wild plums, which are mostly the stones.

When we get a deer or elk or bear during hunting season, you can come back where you left the fur and gut pile the next day, and there will be nothing left, except for stomach contents.  Everything else, and I mean everything else, is gone.

Coyotes are like furry cockroaches - they are very opportunistic, and will survive.

2 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Seriously??

No.

I'm highly jealous that you have hills & wildlife around you. I'm trapped in a concrete jungle

Which one?

I was lucky enough that my wife got a job here, so I followed, and ended up in a string of decent jobs.

I live in a town of about 2500, and it is the county seat of one of the largest and most sparsely populated counties in Oregon.  In the middle of nowhere, on the road to nowhere.  Love it.  The closest Walmart is 100 miles.  The closest movie theater is 60 miles.  Etc.  But we do have a more or less full service hospital, and stuff like that.

There are trails that take off into public land from the town swimming pool, about 10 blocks from my house, that can involve a 1500' + elevation gain, depending on the route you choose.  I've been up there four of the last five days with the dogs - the views are spectacular of the Goose Lake Valley.  And, those walks help keep me in shape for the next hunting season..., 

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Which one?

NYC.

I come from the Midwest so I was raised around trees and hills and wildlife. We used to hunt pheasant and build bonfires.

There's nothing like the city, but every now & then I do miss that sense of isolation. Something primal about having to rely on yourself to survive.

Just now, TheFifthHorseman said:
9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Which one?

NYC.

I come from the Midwest so I was raised around trees and hills and wildlife. We used to hunt pheasant and build bonfires.

There's nothing like the city, but every now & then I do miss that sense of isolation. Something primal about having to rely on yourself to survive.

My middle kid went to Hofstra on a wrestling scholarship.  He goes back there to visit friends occasionally, but has basically had enough of the East Coast.  I guess that experience gave him traveling and survival skills, as now he's a world traveler - now in Thailand, Bali, Australia, etc.

1 minute ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

lol  I think just the opposite.   There's nothing like living/working in more isolated areas but, it's nice to visit the city every now and then. 

5 minutes ago, Foley said:
52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Seriously??

Coyotes eat everything.

I bet they don't eat porcupines. They don't go down easy. Maybe @porcupine48 would know?

Image result for wylie coyote eating gif

11 minutes ago, Foley said:
58 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Seriously??

Coyotes eat everything.

I bet they don't eat porcupines. They don't go down easy. Maybe @porcupine48 would know?

Foley!  Where ya been?

According to the internets:

"Even with all their defenses, porcupines are preyed upon by a several predators. The list includes lynx, bobcats, coyotes, wolves, wolverines, and great horned owls. Important predators include mountain lions and fishers."

36 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

NYC.

Been to Governors Island?