• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Zack Snyder deserve all the movie hate?

84 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

How many of these new critics have studied film or have a degree in journalism

looking at some of the movies they’ve score 100s for I highly doubt they know anything about film 

Can't speak for the internet critics as a whole, but I'd wager the _vast_ majority of who Rotten Tomatoes deems "top critics" (the top 50 of the 300 or so critics they aggregate) do.

There's a vast difference between someone who writes for Jo Blow's Blog and those who write for the Chicago Tribune, NPR, The Atlantic, Wall Street Journal or New York Times.

I've noted several times that Forbes' Scott Mendelson is currently my favorite critic, whom I discovered only about a year ago.

While Forbes primarily cares about his existing audience rather than any formal creds -- he's not just someone who blogged about movies for a decade.

• BA in Film Theory/Film Studies from Wayne State University
  • 1 year as a film critic for blog Film Threat
  • 6 years as a film critic for Salon
  • 4 years as a film critic for The Huffington Post
  • Nearly 5 years now as a film critic for Forbes

And among those "top critics" with demonstrable creds from the top journalism outlets, The Last Jedi ranked 96% positive (48/50), while Justice League ranked 24% positive (11/45).

I hate agreeing with Bosco (and he knows this) but it's so evident what your point is with these movies. That's a little sad to see. It's been consistent. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed. Good luck to you moving forward.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

And among those "top critics" with demonstrable creds from the top journalism outlets, The Last Jedi ranked 96% positive (48/50), while Justice League ranked 24% positive (11/45).

The Incredible Hulk:

- All Critics: 67% (6.2/10.0)

- Top Critics: 59% (5.8/10.0)

Captain America: The First Avenger:

- All Critics: 80% (7.0/10.0)

- Top Critics: 76% (6.5/10.0)

Iron Man 2:

- All Critics: 73% (6.5/10.0)

- Top Critics: 59% (6.0/10.0)

Iron Man 3:

- All Critics: 80% (7.0/10.0)

- Top Critics: 62% (6.4/10.0)

Thor: The Dark World:

- All Critics: 66% (6.2/10.0)

- Top Critics: 47% (5.5/10.0)

Although I appreciate MCU and DC movies, I see what you mean where the professional critics may be on to something that gets lost in the average.

7 minutes ago, Reader said:

I don’t listen to critics. Honestly, I don’t have a lot of respect for their “profession.” No disrespect intended though, I mean if it pays the bills..

As for Zack, he’s made some entertaining popcorn movies in my eyes.  Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen and Man of Steel. He’s made a few I didn’t dig. Oh well. 

Visually Sucker Punch is a great looking film just like the rest of his movies. He’s like Michael bay but with a better eye. Watchmen is the best translation of a comic to a movie that’s ever been done though I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. The scenes in MOS of Superman fighting are the greatest fight sequences made regarding a super hero

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Visually Sucker Punch is a great looking film just like the rest of his movies. He’s like Michael bay but with a better eye. Watchmen is the best translation of a comic to a movie that’s ever been done though I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. The scenes in MOS of Superman fighting are the greatest fight sequences made regarding a super hero

Kal-el vs Faora: Lays the groundwork that made it clear Superman was not the only 'most powerful being on Earth.

Kal-El vs Faora and Non: Demonstrated if Superman didn't watch himself in fighting the Kryptonians, they could end up tag-teaming him to death.

Kal-El vs Zod: Punch for punch, one of the best super fights between individual characters!