• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artic Blast Slab Sale - Closed!

64 posts in this topic

To be honest, the Defenders are "the long wave" of the Silver Age… and also have a uniqueness that makes them perfectly fitting for the discerning GA collector. B|
But in my opinion, as important as MF, one should have the three issues composing the "intoductory" storyline: Hulk #126, Sub-Mariner #22 and Dr. Strange #183. Timeless classics!

Edited by vaillant

55 minutes ago, vaillant said:

I also have my own slightly higher grade copy (about a 7.5/8.0) signed by Kirby in front of me, but you’ll have to trample my dead body to have it! :foryou:

Besides, I have openly declared "dibs" on that book should it ever come to market.

9 minutes ago, vaillant said:

To be honest, the Defenders are "the long wave" of the Silver Age… and also have a uniqueness that makes them perfectly fitting for the discerning GA collector. B|
But in my opinion, as important as MF, one should have the three issues composing the "intoductory" storyline: Hulk #126, Sub-Mariner #22 and Dr. Strange #183. Timeless classics!

Sub-Mariner 34-35?  :shy:

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Sub-Mariner 34-35?  :shy:

I like them less (and still missing one of the two, IIRC): the story seems almost a ploy to bring in the Silver Surfer.
To me these three issues set such a unique atmosphere of mystery and impending doom: the story unfolds and flows naturally across the titles, Roy Thomas at his best!

5 minutes ago, vaillant said:

I like them less (and still missing one of the two, IIRC): the story seems almost a ploy to bring in the Silver Surfer.
To me these three issues set such a unique atmosphere of mystery and impending doom: the story unfolds and flows naturally across the titles, Roy Thomas at his best!

Got them all - remember nothing. :sorry: 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:
6 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Got them all - remember nothing.

I have read that Thomas was reading H.P. Lovecraft at the time.
The "Undying Ones" storyline is imbued with an horror of the unknown that, while indebted to Lovecraft, has its own quality.

To me, these three are very special stories, fascinating as most of the Dr. Strange stories of that period (vol.1) also by Thomas.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

I have read that Thomas was reading H.P. Lovecraft at the time.
The "Undying Ones" storyline is imbued with an horror of the unknown that, while indebted to Lovecraft, has its own quality.

To me, these three are very special stories, fascinating as most of the Dr. Strange stories of that period (vol.1) also by Thomas.

I really need to make some time and re-read some of these, now that I'm retired.

I think the last big jag of comic-reading I did on silver age was the Dr Strange stories from Strange Tales up through 183.

12 minutes ago, jzeze said:

What you got?

hm  I think there are 5 or 6 nice higher grade ASM still up for grabs in the thread.

18 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

lol thanks and yes it is!! I can already see the incoming PMs from boardies saying what are doing with those yucky bronze books haha?!! I have my Hulk 181/IF14 and a few others but for the most part never picked up many minor keys of this era. Gold is just so HOT right now I figured I would toy around a bit ALTHOUGH there are a couple GA books going off the blocks tonight on both ebay and Heritage that I will be participating in!! I’m GOLDen for life!!! Maybe we can talk Andrew into checking it out someday!! I only ever met 1Cool once at a Cleveland convention and I had just bought a Catman book from Harley Yee and showed him. I don’t think he was impressed hehe!! 

I love Golden Age books but finding them with meat on the bone is always tough and I just know more about the Silver-Age / Bronze Age market so I don't wade into that end of the pool very often.  Nice Catman!

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Poetic Justice.

??  Claudio always grades very strictly in my book so I was just messing with him since I always tell him he is too strict and it's good to see CGC agrees.

I'll close up shop tomorrow at lunch.  Update of books still up for grabs:

Page 1

Tales of Suspense 3 - CGC 4.0 - $160

Amazing Spiderman 73 - CGC 9.0 - $100

Amazing Spiderman 96 - CGC 9.2 - $175

Daredevil 13 - CGC 9.0 - Kazar!! - $115

Forever People 8 - CGC 9.4 - $65

Captain Marvel 31 - CGC 9.6 - $160

Amazing Spiderman 90 - CGC 9.0 - $150

Avengers Annual 1 - CGC 7.5 - $65

Marvel Feature 12 - CGC 8.5 - $40

Fantastic Four 67 - CGC 5.0 - $100

Strange Tales 167 - CGC 8.0 - $75

Iron Man 61 - CGC 9.4 - $80

Daredevil 11 - CGC 7.0 - $80

Page 2

Daredevil 32 - CGC 9.2 - $75

Detective Comics 408 - CGC 8.5 - $100

Amazing Spiderman 97 - CGC 9.2 - $160

Amazing Spiderman 11 - CGC 6.5 - $450

Iron Man 105 - CGC 9.6 - $45

Avengers 187 - CGC 9.8 - $65

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

??  Claudio always grades very strictly in my book so I was just messing with him since I always tell him he is too strict and it's good to see CGC agrees.

Actually this is one of these instances where grading becomes really a lot more subjective, regardless of the criteria adopted. I would not buy a faded book as a FNVF, and that’s the bottom line for me.

And of course Andy was joking: I actually appreciate a lot when he manages to do a profit out of my sales threads, as from there it’s complicate to eventually have books graded by CGC, and the postal rates add up to the problem. :)

Thread now closed but if you see something you need at a later date PM me and I'll see if it's still available and I'll pull it from E-Bay for you.