• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good or Bad time to buy silver age
1 1

93 posts in this topic

With all the movies/TV shows etc prices on GA/SA have skyrocketed 

After Hollywood stops putting out Superhero Movies and Older collectors get out of the hobby will the younger generation still want to buy key GA & SA books?

If they grew into this hobby purchasing comics online only or just buying TPB's will they not care about the having a physical copy of the 1st appearance of their favorite character the way we do?

So, a game of musical chairs, and the questions posed- will the music stop, and what happens if/when it does (who'll be missing a chair)?

My own pov - some variations on the tune will probably still be playing, and even if it all comes crashing down I'll be comfortable with the books I have or be dead.   

Some disclosure: I've been slowly selling off my boxes of "dupes" in drips and drabs since 'coming back' in 2016 -mostly on ebay but a little here too, and I spent more in 2017 than I sold (net buyer), and atm I'd predict basically the same pattern for the next few years in my own collecting/speculating/investing.

22 minutes ago, comics4all said:

With all the movies/TV shows etc prices on GA/SA have skyrocketed 

After Hollywood stops putting out Superhero Movies and Older collectors get out of the hobby will the younger generation still want to buy key GA & SA books?

If they grew into this hobby purchasing comics online only or just buying TPB's will they not care about the having a physical copy of the 1st appearance of their favorite character the way we do?

I don't think they will stop putting out movies.  20 years from now the cycle will start again. I think there are plenty of 30 somethings that have not made their money yet that will be buying for the next 10-15years. Who really  knows, but I would not bet against Disney keeping marvel heroes relevant for the next 100 years and Disney stuff is always collectible. Now if Disney could just buy DC we would be set !

Edited by paul747

5 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I don't think they will stop putting out movies.  20 years from now the cycle will start again. I think there are plenty of 30 somethings that have not made their money yet that will be buying for the next 10-15years. Who really  knows, but I would not bet against Disney keeping marvel heroes relevant for the next 100 years and Disney stuff is always collectible. Now if Disney could just buy DC we would be set !

You have a good point with Disney. They will never let any of their IP's go down the drain. Mickey is practically 100 & they have him going strong for all generations!

It's just a different world from what we grew up in. All my friends knew who Batman or Spidey was, only a true comic fan knew Thor or Dr Strange!

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds

21 minutes ago, grebal said:

So, a game of musical chairs, and the questions posed- will the music stop, and what happens if/when it does (who'll be missing a chair)?

My own pov - some variations on the tune will probably still be playing, and even if it all comes crashing down I'll be comfortable with the books I have or be dead.   

Some disclosure: I've been slowly selling off my boxes of "dupes" in drips and drabs since 'coming back' in 2016 -mostly on ebay but a little here too, and I spent more in 2017 than I sold (net buyer), and atm I'd predict basically the same pattern for the next few years in my own collecting/speculating/investing.

I think it's a great time to sell! 

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You make me not feel as bad about being interested/invested in bronze to now lol

I think essentially there will always be a market for GA Batman and Superman 

Well there are Bronze & MA books that are crazy hot now ASM 129, BA 12, NM 98 etc

I just meant Af 15 ASM 1 TOS 39 etc those are the bigger tickets

Just now, comics4all said:

I think it's a great time to sell! 

I have an 'extra' ASM 129 that I haven't sold, and a Hulk 181.  I know, they're bronze, not silver, and possibly they may never again be as high as they are today.   From time to time I consider the Q, why have 2?

But to be more literal to your OP, assuming there is a basic 'collector' gene in the population that likes accumulating stuff, what are they going to change to if they don't want silver age comics - hummel figurines?  Tin boxes or maybe trains?

And they keep making more people.  And there tend to be ever-more people with a little extra discretionary money for things like 'collectibles.'  And a lot more women -or buyers with chick's names- have been buying comics when i do my sales (proportionately more than in past).  And I get more request from international buyers for me to let them bid/but on my ebay listings.   All of those are forces in opposition to the forces that say baby boomers will all eventually sell and the market will have a glut in excess of demand.

So I don't agree with the 'common consensus' that silver age comics are cruizin for a bruizin.

4 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Well there are Bronze & MA books that are crazy hot now ASM 129, BA 12, NM 98 etc

I just meant Af 15 ASM 1 TOS 39 etc those are the bigger tickets

Rest assured they'll do just fine but perhaps for different reasons such as stated above. Micke Mouse lives on. As far as DC I feel it will still be underrated...

AF 15 and such are SA and there lives a little immortality in each one. The day will come when they will be considered the "first of their kind etc" then only will it become a "national treasure" that only some will be able to obtain or afford. 

17 minutes ago, grebal said:

I have an 'extra' ASM 129 that I haven't sold, and a Hulk 181.  I know, they're bronze, not silver, and possibly they may never again be as high as they are today.   From time to time I consider the Q, why have 2?

But to be more literal to your OP, assuming there is a basic 'collector' gene in the population that likes accumulating stuff, what are they going to change to if they don't want silver age comics - hummel figurines?  Tin boxes or maybe trains?

And they keep making more people.  And there tend to be ever-more people with a little extra discretionary money for things like 'collectibles.'  And a lot more women -or buyers with chick's names- have been buying comics when i do my sales (proportionately more than in past).  And I get more request from international buyers for me to let them bid/but on my ebay listings.   All of those are forces in opposition to the forces that say baby boomers will all eventually sell and the market will have a glut in excess of demand.

So I don't agree with the 'common consensus' that silver age comics are cruizin for a bruizin.

I think International buyers are buying a lot of big ticket comics now

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Rest assured they'll do just fine but perhaps for different reasons such as stated above. Micke Mouse lives on. As far as DC I feel it will still be underrated...

Dc as a whole is underrated Except for the trinity

I think the average person when they hear the word "superhero" immediately  goes to Bats,Supes,& Wondy

They will always be popular

IMO, its totally dependent on the comic/series. For example, I think its a bad time to buy silver age Wonder Woman as prices have been rising the last 12+ months due to the announcement and then success of the Gadot film. A couple years ago would have been a much better time. Prices are largely fluctuating based on whats happening at the box office. Guardians of the Galaxy is a perfect example. Before the film, it was pretty easy picking up those comics for relatively cheap prices, but 6 months after the first films release and things were very different. I actually made a decent amount of money off of Guardians of the Galaxy comics. That was the first time I purposely invested in comics with the intent on selling them as soon as the film came out. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

36 minutes ago, grebal said:

You know..... sooner or later HUlk and Wolverine are going to meet on the big screen.  Can you imagine what that's going to do to H181

Speaking of which it may be a good time to by X-Men... due to the acquisition. Most SA is out of my league. I'd love a nice FF48-50, I have 3.5's or less but would love to have higher grades....there isn't much GA/SA that seems feasable to me even now, so ask yourself maybe who is buying them now and it will let you know about the future....

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

What info do you have on this?  I have suspected that foreign investors might start buying up Marvel mega keys, but I'm not sure if they are.

I heard it from some of the big retailers like Mile High & Mycomicshop.com

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Speaking of which it may be a good time to by X-Men... due to the acquisition. Most SA is out of my league. I'd love a nice FF48-50, I have 3.5's or less but would love to have higher grades....there isn't much GA/SA that seems feasable to me even now, so ask yourself maybe who is buying them now and it will let you know about the future....

I was just thinking if I have any extra copies of the Dark Phoenix Saga!

9 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I was just thinking if I have any extra copies of the Dark Phoenix Saga!

That was one of the first runs I went after too and had like 7of 129-139...but I was new and had most of them signed by Claremont raw and not graded.... doh!.... so I sold them back to the LCS ....doh!... lost on it by like $100! Lesson learned!