• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

The first off the rack book i ever went nuts on was saga 1. I bought at least 25 copies. But i didn't wait long enough, did not get more than $30 for any if them. Back issues i have a lot of books i chased and stockpiled when cheap, but it took me more than 35 years of collecting before i bought more than 3 or 4 copies of anything off the rack.

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Not to mention AF15s.

Not so long ago I bought three AF15s 3.0s for $3000 each.  I don't have any of them now. :cry:  I sold them each for about $4000 and thought I had hit the jackpot.

I paid 500.00 for a raw 5.0 AF 15 in 1987. I still own that copy, will never sell it either.

Just now, comics4all said:

can i be in your will? lol

I passed on a 3.5 af 15 for $500, negotiable, from four color comics in 1995. Proceeded to spend as much on a bunch of midgrade poop at that show. 

10 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

No idea, I wasn't that smart back then. I just wanted my buddies copy, and that's what he wanted for it.lol

I was dirt poor in 1987.  $500 would have seemed like a million to me.  My daughter was born in 1987.  We didn't have insurance.  We worked out a deal with the hospital to pay $50 month until we paid off the full $3000 bill (they weren't going to charge us interest if we stayed current).  What does a birthing at the hospital cost these day?  I'm guessing no less than $20k.

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

I was dirt poor in 1987.  $500 would have seemed like a million to me.  My daughter was born in 1987.  We didn't have insurance.  We worked out a deal with the hospital to pay $50 month until we paid off the full $3000 bill (they weren't going to charge us interest if we stayed current).  What does a birthing at the hospital cost these day?  I'm guessing no less than $20k.

:golfclap:

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

We got a $30k bill for an uncomplicated birth and minimal stay 12 years ago. Almost had a heart attack. Turns out the hospital had made a mistake billing insurance and was told we had none. Needless to say, it got fixed.

15 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Well for at least 5 years they were unread and well protected in the back of my underwear/sock drawer.  Back in those days I hadn't discovered mylars and backing boards.

Anywhere near my underwear they would be 1.0s pretty quickly. Just ask my wife.

18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Free!

12 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

I read comics for a while for the stories, but I got caught up in the investment hype when a lot of other did. Here’s my first multiple copies (about 30 of them). doh!

090F4CDA-975C-4C0C-B330-89C95493D8CF.jpeg

I think we all got caught up in that one.:sorry:

Star Wars #1 

my buddy and I were at our only comic book store in 1977 and they had 22 copies! We thought we had hit the mother load... it took us a half an hour to pool all the money we had and convince ourselves it was the right thing to do. We each had 11 copies of the first comic book of the greatest movie we had ever experienced! 

I still have 8 of those and three that are graded 9.6 :acclaim:

36 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

Star Wars #1 

my buddy and I were at our only comic book store in 1977 and they had 22 copies! We thought we had hit the mother load... it took us a half an hour to pool all the money we had and convince ourselves it was the right thing to do. We each had 11 copies of the first comic book of the greatest movie we had ever experienced! 

I still have 8 of those and three that are graded 9.6 :acclaim:

^^

51 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I think we all got caught up in that one.:sorry:

Well if you got a bunch of  the platinum one or whatever color , there are some of these that aren't in the 50c bin!

:bigsmile:

Edited by comics4all