• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Hudson said:

If I remember correctly, the first comic I ever "hoarded" was New Teen Titans #1.  When this book came out, I bought all the copies I could find; which I believe was 8 copies.  Although I usually never sell any comics, I did find myself in my LCS a few years later and the owner was looking for copies of NTT #1.  I think I ended up trading him 5 copies of #1 and maybe one copy of one of the later issues in exchange for the following book (plus I may have also received another less impressive Action in the deal - but I can't recall what that was).

Action 101 Scan.jpg

Excellent trade!  (thumbsu

My first was Lucio Parrillo's Vampirella #19. IMO, its the single sexiest cover in the entire history of comics. I wound up contacting Dynamite and asked if they would let me buy that cover. This was before they started giving different covers different UPC numbers and let people choose which cover they wanted. Dynamite wound up having 16 copies left in stock and they let me buy all 16. I have since done the same thing with all of Parrillo's covers for Queen Sonja, Vampirella, and Warlord of Mars. On average, I own around 15 copies of each cover. 

Off the racks, New Teen Titans #1, about a dozen or so. And several of each of the next few issues. I then traded them via mail to a large mail order comics outfit in Colorado :whistle:  Seems most of what I ordered was out of stock, so I got a couple items and a trade credit memo that expired in six months. Then things kept being out of stock. I have the ninety-something dollars in trade credit memos. And I think I still have a DD#3 that actually came from that "deal."

As a back issue:

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

My first was Lucio Parrillo's Vampirella #19. IMO, its the single sexiest cover in the entire history of comics. I wound up contacting Dynamite and asked if they would let me buy that cover. This was before they started giving different covers different UPC numbers and let people choose which cover they wanted. Dynamite wound up having 16 copies left in stock and they let me buy all 16. I have since done the same thing with all of Parrillo's covers for Queen Sonja, Vampirella, and Warlord of Mars. On average, I own around 15 copies of each cover. 

Pics or it didn't happen.

56 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Off the racks, New Teen Titans #1, about a dozen or so. And several of each of the next few issues. I then traded them via mail to a large mail order comics outfit in Colorado :whistle:  Seems most of what I ordered was out of stock, so I got a couple items and a trade credit memo that expired in six months. Then things kept being out of stock. I have the ninety-something dollars in trade credit memos. And I think I still have a DD#3 that actually came from that "deal."

As a back issue:

image.jpeg

:cloud9:

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Excellent trade!  (thumbsu

Thanks Bob,

I think back in the days before internet, things were different.  A LCS like this may have had dozens of kids, walking in and willing to fork out the cash needed for a New Teen Titans #1, but finding a buyer for a high grade Action #101, was perhaps a little more difficult.   If the right buyer didn't walk in the door, a LCS could sit on a higher end book for a long time, thus the trade probably made sense to him (as he likely quickly sold the NTT books).  Now, with all the auction sites and internet, a LCS can easily liquidate even the most expensive with very little time and effort.

I miss the old days!

On 1/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, gadzukes said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

It happened. Just didn't feel like digging them all out to take pictures. I now have 3-4 boxes of just Parrillo covers for his Vampirella, Queen Sonja, and Warlord of Mars runs. IMO, those are some of the strongest cover runs in the entire history of the comic market and again, IMO his Vampirella #19 cover is the single sexiest comic cover ever produced. And I still continue to buy more if I run across good deals on them. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the prices on many of those covers have skyrocketed over the last year or so. I actually saw a mint copy of Vampirella #19 sell for $95 like 3-4 weeks back on eBay. So its gotten much harder to find good deals on them. I did wind up picking up a few more copies of some of those covers during Mile High's 50% off sale a few weeks back.

I'm actually really surprised by Lucio's rise in popularity over the last year. When those cover runs first came out, it didn't seem like many people really were that interested in them. The value's on them remained right at the MSRP for the first couple years they were on the market and then suddenly last year they all started rising in value. Now many of those covers are selling for $15-$25 a pop on eBay. Lucio's been my favorite artist for the last 4-5 years so its nice to finally see him get some proper recognition as he really is just a brilliant artist and I love that he still paints all his covers. I just VASTLY prefer the look of painted covers over digital art. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

15 hours ago, joeypost said:

Star Wars 1

That was my first also. Right after I saw Star Wars for the first time, I ordered 50 copies from an ad in the Buyer's Guide. Back then there were a lot of small distributors that you could buy multiple copies.  I gave away most of them to my friends and family. I'm left with just a few.