• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I will too but it’s not as bad as everyone thinks I believe. The studios are just sitting on content. They are still producing new content and when theaters open back up there will still be new content to be shown in theaters. If they continue to sit on the content there will just be a backlog. The situation really stinks but it’s a strategy they should have started earlier IMHO. It keeps money rolling in now (for the film industry anyways) and the industry people employed I would think.  Personally don’t see the point of sitting on content just so theater chains can make money and everyone else has to suffer (film industry and viewers). I hate to sound cold but unfortunately they are collateral damage at this point. That being said I will still go back to the theaters and spend my money once they open back up! But in the mean time... 

I do not think all theaters will all die, but I think they will be forced to evolve.  You are going to see very fast streaming (remember another company just negotiated streaming 30 days after release) or even same day streaming releases becoming common.  Theaters will probably evolve into a premium experience.  It will be small numbers of people, large IMAX type screens, and food and drink served.  So you buy a $50 ticket to get a movie with food and drink included. 

I think the days of the masses flocking to see big tentpole movies opening weekend are likely over.  At best, it will be years before we see a billion dollar film again, let alone something like Endgame. It was these movies that had been propping up the movie business the last few years anyway.  Small to mid budget movies (with a few exceptions like Joker) have been struggling in theaters. You also have to remember, the movie makers "could" make more money with VOD fees then having to split profits with movie theaters.  Essentially, they will be cutting out the middle man. In may ways this had been slowly happening for years, this just accelerated it.

Finally, the big movies in the pipeline will finish getting made, because financing is already in place.  But, with at least one year of negative income, these companies will just not be able to spend 200 or 300 million to make a movie. Plus, ever movie currently sitting in the can is costing the companies even more money, since most are financed through loans. Budgets for movies being greenlit now, are going to shrink.  

Edited by drotto

I’ll miss the billion dollar movies for now but I would always choose a solid series like Breaking Bad or Ray Donovan over any Marvel and DC production. The Mandalorian has been better than any Star Wars movie since the 80’s for me. I’m looking forward to the next few years of streaming. I still want the theaters to return because some movies just need to be seen in IMAX. Dune will still be awesome on my projector in 4K but compared to looking up at that IMAX screen with the immense sound that has space to travel around? Forget it.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What do you think? Will they make more this way followed by a home release at $20 or $30 a month later? We know not to bet against the mouse. Warren Buffet did and lost 11 billion dollars.

I love to hate Disney but I’m still a shareholder.

Nationwide vaccination against COVID19 is on the way. A unified national COVID19 policy is also on the way which, though some will ignore, most will follow. We could be on the downhill trend of this pandemic by May 2021. And along with possible renewed confidence that we can see movies safely, Black Widow could be the film that saves the movie theater industry.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Nationwide vaccination against COVID19 is on the way. A unified national COVID19 policy is also on the way which, though some will ignore, most will follow. We could be on the downhill trend of this pandemic by May 2021. And along with possible renewed confidence that we can see movies safely, Black Widow could be the film that saves the movie theater industry.

I think we will be better off but the COVID19 vaccines will most likely operate like the flu shot. Even after vaccination you can still get it. No one can tell us how long the vaccine will remain effective for now. As for Black Widow being the film that saves the movie industry, well sure, if it makes 30 billion dollars worldwide. Not BW, MI-7 or Dune or any other single film will save the industry.

1 hour ago, Grails said:

I think we will be better off but the COVID19 vaccines will most likely operate like the flu shot. Even after vaccination you can still get it. No one can tell us how long the vaccine will remain effective for now. As for Black Widow being the film that saves the movie industry, well sure, if it makes 30 billion dollars worldwide. Not BW, MI-7 or Dune or any other single film will save the industry.

Warner Brothers is releasing its entire 2021 slate on HBO Max. Also the world will not flock to theaters to see a Dune remake or the next Tom Cruise movie. The world WILL flock to theaters to see the next big MCU film, that is, Black Widow.  And according the posted source, Disney is not releasing it streaming. We’ll see how the world looks by early summer. But if the world can get on the downhill trend of the pandemic with a strong unified response over the next five months, Black Widow could be the film that brings everyone back to the movies. Repeat.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Warner Brothers is releasing its entire 2021 slate on HBO Max. Also the world will not flock to theaters to see a Dune remake or the next Tom Cruise movie. The world WILL flock to theaters to see the next big MCU film, that is, Black Widow.  And according the posted source, Disney is not releasing it streaming. We’ll see how the world looks by early summer. But if the world can get on the downhill trend of the pandemic with a strong unified response over the next five months, Black Widow could be the film that brings everyone back to the movies. Repeat.

You may have clearer vision than reality. No way there is any bias blocking your view.

MCU_boy.PNG.ae8b459d31b06713b7e090b367d10463.PNG

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You may have clearer vision than reality. No way there is any bias blocking your view.

MCU_boy.PNG.ae8b459d31b06713b7e090b367d10463.PNG

Sure, I'm biased for the MCU. Lots of people are. But are you trying to tell me the MCU doesn't have a worldwide fan base that is eagerly and rabidly awaiting the next major MCU film? There is. The last five MCU films, sans Ant-Man 2, have all cleared a billion. The world loves the MCU. As I said in another thread, it's at Star Wars level. With no other way to see Black Widow, the world will come back to the movies if it's safe. The world just needs the right leadership to properly lead the way in tackling the pandemic. I'm trying to not get political here but there's a chance we have that to start out 2021.

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also the world will not flock to theaters to see a Dune remake or the next Tom Cruise movie.

Marvels entire line-up brought around 20 billion total to the box office. Tom Cruise (in a leading role) has brought 10 billion. Not bad for the little guy. So there’s a few people that have flocked to see him.

18 minutes ago, Grails said:

Marvels entire line-up brought around 20 billion total to the box office. Tom Cruise (in a leading role) has brought 10 billion. Not bad for the little guy. So there’s a few people that have flocked to see him.

Well I guess Tom Cruise can still bring it in with MI (800 mil worldwide on MI6 isn't bad), so I take that back.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

42 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure, I'm biased for the MCU. Lots of people are. But are you trying to tell me the MCU doesn't have a worldwide fan base that is eagerly and rabidly awaiting the next major MCU film? There is. The last five MCU films, sans Ant-Man 2, have all cleared a billion. The world loves the MCU. As I said in another thread, it's at Star Wars level. With no other way to see Black Widow, the world will come back to the movies if it's safe. The world just needs the right leadership to properly lead the way in tackling the pandemic. I'm trying to not get political here but there's a chance we have that to start out 2021.

You may not realize this, but you've had to insert disclaimers with these statements which demonstrates how rocky the theater environment will be going into 2021.

• world needing right focus on pandemic (without any government reference here from either of us or the mods will deem it political)
  • world will come back to the movies if it's safe
  • Nationwide vaccination against COVID19 is on the way

Why of course there is a fanbase for many of these films. But to assume BLACK WIDOW is going to overcome all the fears of the pandemic in densely packed theaters assumes the perfect storm of everything lining up to save the day - like a comic book story. Unfortunately, what the world has experienced has not been anything short of a Stephen King horror with folks on their deathbeds denying the virus is even real. I very much appreciate most of these movies too. But I recognize the reality of the environment we live in too.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You may not realize this, but you've had to insert disclaimers with these statements which demonstrates how rocky the theater environment will be going into 2021.

• world needing right focus on pandemic (without any government reference here from either of us or the mods will deem it political)
  • world will come back to the movies if it's safe
  • Nationwide vaccination against COVID19 is on the way

Why of course there is a fanbase for many of these films. But to assume BLACK WIDOW is going to overcome all the fears of the pandemic in densely packed theaters assumes the perfect storm of everything lining up to save the day - like a comic book story. Unfortunately, what the world has experienced has not been anything short of a Stephen King horror with folks on their deathbeds denying the virus is even real. I very much appreciate most of these movies too. But I recognize the reality of the environment we live in too.

I think people underestimate what proper leadership can do for a situation. We'll see. I also strongly believe in human ingenuity and think that, given a light at the end of the tunnel, theaters can do even more to make it a safer place ie more screenings of big movies and spacing etc. Maybe we'll see a comeback of drive-in theaters. 5-6 months can be too little time or maybe enough time. Last summer already seems like an eternity away. Time will tell.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think people underestimate what proper leadership can do for a situation. We'll see. I also strongly believe in human ingenuity and think that, given a light at the end of the tunnel, theaters can do even more to make it a safer place ie more screenings of big movies and spacing etc. Maybe we'll see a comeback of drive-in theaters. 5-6 months can be too little time or maybe enough time. Last summer already seems like an eternity away. Time will tell.

That right there is reality. Time will tell. But personal fears will play into the situation for a long while.