• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Don't be that guy. lol

"Chest compressions!"

Dude just handled all 6 infinity stones. He dead.

He conscious and breathing.

Movie deaths a real pet peeve of mine.  Always Shakespearean

On 7/20/2021 at 2:40 PM, Heronext said:

He conscious and breathing.

Movie deaths a real pet peeve of mine.  Always Shakespearean

He stopped breathing and was unconscious shortly after being huddled around.

I mean, all of entertainment is intentionally dramatic. Realism is mostly uninteresting.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:27 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's just look at Phase 4:

• WandaVision? Boring.
  • Falcon and The Winter Soldier? Meh.
  • Loki? Pretty good.
  • Black Widow? Formulaic.
  • Shang-Chi? Lookin' meh.
  • The Eternals? Lookin' like a floppy disc.
  • No Way Home? Optimistic.
  • Multiverse of Madness? Pessimistic.
  • Love and Thunder? Oof.
  • Wakanda Forever? Probably no good without CB.
  • The Marvels? Big oof.
  • Quantumania? Title sucks, so the movie probably will, too.
  • GotG Vol. 3? 2 was as bad as 1 was good, so who knows?
  • Fantastic Four? Cautiously optimistic.

I like your positive outlook! :banana:

But - I do agree with you on some of these.

BW was very formulaic, and probably 4 years late if they were gonna do this.
WandaVision & Falcon/Winder Soldier were both teases that ended without a lot of satisfaction.
Loki - more fun. Hiddleson does a very good job. A little muddled, but at least some promise delivered. This show could have really had an explosive ending, but at least it's intriguing.

The Disney+ shows have been geared toward the in-between stuff, perhaps allowing for more 'just-dive-in' opportunity with the movies. But will that be a problem? Can the casual Marvel fan just 'dive-in' to the movies without seeing the Disney+ stuff? I don't know yet.
If I were doing these Disney+ shows, I'd intro characters there & give 'em their origin stories & then take a big adventure to a movie, if the character/show does well (think of it as a Marvel Spotlight). I can re-cap the origin/Disney+ stuff in 5 movie minutes.

I think Spidey and Dr. Strange (along with Ant Man) are the next key movies to see if the momentum can continue - even if Shang Chi and Eternals suck or are barely average. I am hopeful for Shang, just because I like the character. I have no freaking idea about the Eternals. And why that set of characters, honestly? Marvel has a trillion characters that are more compelling, IMO. And they go for Eternals? It's gonna need to be one heckuva story. Maybe the Black Knight will emerge as the key there.

Love & Thunder - could be alright. I like Watiti's movies for the most part.
BP2 - Cautiously optimistic.

GotG 3 - same

FF - Characters I love, but having been burned three times already on this set of characters, feels like a moderately big dice roll. I'd love for them to hit it out of the park with this one. And any X-Men stuff.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's just look at Phase 4:

• WandaVision? Boring.
  • Falcon and The Winter Soldier? Meh.
  • Loki? Pretty good.
  • Black Widow? Formulaic.
  • Shang-Chi? Lookin' meh.
  • The Eternals? Lookin' like a floppy disc.
  • No Way Home? Optimistic.
  • Multiverse of Madness? Pessimistic.
  • Love and Thunder? Oof.
  • Wakanda Forever? Probably no good without CB.
  • The Marvels? Big oof.
  • Quantumania? Title sucks, so the movie probably will, too.
  • GotG Vol. 3? 2 was as bad as 1 was good, so who knows?
  • Fantastic Four? Cautiously optimistic.

Here's my take

1. Wandavision? Didn't care enough to watch.
  2. Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Boring and dumb. A huge chunk of episode 5 was about that :censored: boat. It had more filler than aging Hollywood starlet's face.
  3. Loki? First episode was so boring, I gave up.
  4. Black Widow? Boring and dumb as a Fast and the Furious movie.

I'm jumping off the MCU train unless a trailer floors me. After the two new ones I've seen so far, I doubt it will happen.

The movie features a character no one cares about starring an uncharismatic actor. All the intellectualism, charts & graphs, statistics, &c. don't count if you ignore these simple truths. 

Derr.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/20/disney-marvel-black-widow/

On 7/20/2021 at 5:58 PM, D84 said:

Here's my take

2. Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Boring and dumb. A huge chunk of episode 5 was about that :censored: boat. It had more filler than aging Hollywood starlet's face.

I'm jumping off the MCU train unless a trailer floors me. After the two new ones I've seen so far, I doubt it will happen.

WandaVision was amazing. The first few episodes were a slog, but the last three were phenomenal.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's become much too painfully obvious. Saying that Dr. Otto has a "preferred company" is the epitome of hypocrisy, and perfectly exemplifies the pot calling the kettle black.

No he said that I had a preferred company. Don’t be stealing my shade bro! (tsk)

And to be clear, Make Mine Marvel. 

On 7/20/2021 at 6:42 PM, Gatsby77 said:

WandaVision was amazing. The first few episodes were a slog, but the last three were phenomenal.

Fair enough, but I HATE sitcoms, and I know that's not the whole thing. Still that's enough for me to avoid it like the clap.

Edited by D84

On 7/20/2021 at 5:58 PM, D84 said:

Here's my take

You're missin' out on Loki. Episode 5 was super crisp. Very comic book-y.

On 7/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, Gatsby77 said:

On 7/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, D84 said:

Fair enough, but I HATE sitcoms, and I know that's not the whole thing. Still that's enough for me to avoid it like the clap.

I enjoyed the excitement of WandaVision, and all the discussion it led to on here because people were so energized with new MCU content.

But in the end, the logic of her serving as the captor of 3,891 residents of the town and flying off as a hero afterwards is pretty weak storytelling. If anything, she would now be at the top of the government's kill or capture list. And the whole logic of her being the MCU character that suffered the most so we have to pity and excuse her actions are wildly ignorant of events from the show just to establish 'that's my Scarlet Witch that I love'.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

I enjoyed the excitement of WandaVision, and all the discussion it led to on here because people were so energized with new MCU content.

But in the end, the logic of her serving as the captor of 3,891 residents of the town and flying off as a hero afterwards is pretty weak storytelling. If anything, she would now be at the top of the government's kill or capture list. And the whole logic of her being the MCU character that suffered the most so we have to pity and excuse her actions are wildly ignorant of events from the show just to establish 'that's my Scarlet Witch that I love'.

The show runs the risk of excusing or justifying her heinous crimes. She should be at the top of the Avengers' kill or capture list. If DS2 makes her a hero, it'll be more than just troubling. 

On 7/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

?

But that's *the point.* She's not a hero - she's - a villain, absolutely morally compromised. And the implication that she's now the holder of the Darkhold and embracing the mantle of the Scarlet Witch = dark magic.

She was absolutely the villain of her own show, no Mephisto (or anyone else) needed.

I mean, it's not like she raped a random guy who was unknowingly possessed by her long-lost dead lover or anything, but still...

On 7/21/2021 at 7:02 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

But that's *the point.* She's not a hero - she's - a villain, absolutely morally compromised. And the implication that she's now the holder of the Darkhold and embracing the mantle of the Scarlet Witch = dark magic.

She was absolutely the villain of her own show, no Mephisto (or anyone else) needed.

I mean, it's not like she raped a random guy who was unknowingly possessed by her long-lost dead lover or anything, but still...

"Let me throw out another random DC dislike post in response to a Marvel discussion' - oh my supposed PR expert. :roflmao:

No it wasn't the point. Check social media responses to the show and people were raving over how amazing and incredible Wanda was for all her suffering and now the MCU is finally going to do her justice. Justice??!!

Are you kidding? She held an entire town hostage to forget her own pains. Where many of us expected it was someone else controlling all of her actions.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

No it wasn't the point. Check social media responses to the show and people were raving over how amazing and incredible Wanda was for all her suffering and now the MCU is finally going to do her justice. Justice??!!

Are you kidding? She held an entire town hostage to forget her own pains. Where many of us expected it was someone else controlling all of her actions.

Umm... Just because people on social media are stupid doesn't mean the show (and especially, the finale) wasn't crystal clear.

There's no way you can watch all of WandaVision and not come away with the fact that's she's:

1) a villain who enslaved an entire town for weeks just to selfishly "process her grief" and

2) one of the most powerful folks in the entire MCU.

To say nothing of Agatha's being right. It was her destiny to become the keeper of the Darkhold - the Scarlet Witch.

People thought the ending of Inception was ambiguous, too. Just shows that either 1) they're insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, or 2) they weren't paying attention.

Let's be honest: WandaVision does its best to make you think that Maximoff is a hero. They go so far as to show you that Rambeau 'understands' her decisions, and lets her go free. They convince you that Agatha is the villain.

Without question, Scarlet Witch is a villain. WandaVision does not concisely convey this to the audience. It's poor writing.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus