• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You know, if you go by the Rotten Tomatoes user 'positive' supposed standard of a 3.5/5 (70%), then that means on a ten-point scale a 'positive' needs to be a 7.0/10 cutoff.

IMDb_ROS_Split2.PNG.f35354ee6769df3ca3dd684761ac5b72.PNG

Now THAT I could see as reality. And it very much matches the satisfactions statements.

Good point calling this out, @valiantman :foryou:

Using only 7 to 10 supports the idea that there's a "neutral" area as well, from 4 to 6, so we'd have 3 groups "Liked It", "It was OK", "Didn't Like It", putting the percentage of people "Liked It" at 65.3%, "It Was OK" at 24.7%, and "Didn't Like It" at 10%.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Using only 7 to 10 supports the idea that there's a "neutral" area as well, from 4 to 6, so we'd have 3 groups "Liked It", "It was OK", "Didn't Like It", putting the percentage of people "Liked It" at 65.3%, "It Was OK" at 24.7%, and "Didn't Like It" at 10%.

Not by the binary approach of Like-Dislike. :baiting:

I had never seen that RT audience standard it is 3.5/5 in order to be considered Positive. Yet critics feeding results into RT as an aggregator can have a 2.0/5 or 2.5/5 as a positive, AND allowed to toggle whether they consider any score they submit as Like or Dislike.

I contacted one of the Joker critics that gave the film first a Positive with a 3.0/5 and then flipped it back to a Negative afterwards. She shared RT allows critics to do this. There is no critic standard as an aggregator.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

And that is okay, as you should enjoy what you like. But market data manipulation is a dirty play.

Just because statistics may be a form of witchcraft for some to detect these things, no need to dismiss it. Especially when it is clear from larger user aggregation 86% is not the norm. Like by 131, 763 users rating it 7.0 or less.

IMDb_ROS01.PNG.fb3004d236926c2bb6e61d78414f7a28.PNG

Funny.

When I look at that chart, I see that more than 44% of participants rated the film as an 8 or higher.

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Funny.

When I look at that chart, I see that more than 44% of participants rated the film as an 8 or higher.

IMDb_ROS02.PNG.ecb5a10290eb14057fead1e938b80296.PNG

IMDb_ROS_Split3.PNG.c2a81bcd520cf7b91869a0a8ab562860.PNG

And funnier - I notice more than 55% rated it 7.0 or less.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

To be fair, though, binary in a ten-point scale is too much of a variance either way. I agree on a Like, Dissatisfied and Disliked scale.

IMDb_ROS_Split4.PNG.2502716de04b0723f3bea3329fcef8c7.PNG

And this seems to mirror more of what we see out there. Yes, there is a portion that really disliked what Lucasfilms did (14.18%) with this run. But many have mixed emotions (55.68%) and then there are those that liked it or loved it (44.32%).

The data doesn't lie when it comes to that scale.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

To be fair, though, binary in a ten-point scale is too much of a variance either way. I agree on a Like, Dissatisfied and Disliked scale.

IMDb_ROS_Split4.PNG.2502716de04b0723f3bea3329fcef8c7.PNG

And this seems to mirror more of what we see out there. Yes, there is a portion that really disliked what Lucasfilms did (14.18%) with this run. But many have mixed emotions (55.68%) and then there are those that liked it or loved it (44.32%).

The data doesn't lie when it comes to that scale.

lol  I understand what you did (including the 14.18% in the 55.68%), but anyone (else) looking at this chart will see it adds up to 114.18%.

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol  I understand what you did (including the 14.18% in the 55.68%), but anyone (else) looking at this chart will see it adds up to 114.18%.

(:

Hey, Star Wars fan give 114% at any given time. Truth!

:shy:

IMDb_ROS_Split4.PNG.8ae00e3e8c2f2a8f32ae4d474b9a003b.PNG

On 1/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

See if your friend’s brother-in-law’s sister can also do the one thing that can truly save Star Wars: put the original Sy Snootles musical scene back in Return of the Jedi.

The Lucas'd ROTJ happens to be on TNT right now.  The "new" musical number is even worse than I remembered.  Like Rise of Skywalker level worse.

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The Lucas'd ROTJ happens to be on TNT right now.  The "new" musical number is even worse than I remembered.  Like Rise of Skywalker level worse.

Rise of Skywalker didn't have bad lounge music with bad CGI alien muppets showing us their tonsils.

THIS is what ruined Star Wars (and also Han firing first and having that chat with Jabba outside the canteena in New Hope Special Edition)

28 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Rise of Skywalker didn't have bad lounge music with bad CGI alien muppets showing us their tonsils.

THIS is what ruined Star Wars (and also Han firing first and having that chat with Jabba outside the canteena in New Hope Special Edition)

Indeed, it’s like Jim Henson threw up on the screen.

(and overall ROS suckage is on par with that scene)

7 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Indeed, it’s like Jim Henson threw up on the screen.

(and overall ROS suckage is on par with that scene)

Oddly enough, one of my kids wanted to watch Return of the Jedi for the first time ever last night, and have me watch it with him.

When we got to that scene, I cringed. He laughed, and thought it was funny versus integral to the story. Like it was comedy relief to the tension of the situation.

(:

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oddly enough, one of my kids wanted to watch Return of the Jedi for the first time ever last night, and have me watch it with him.

When we got to that scene, I cringed. He laughed, and thought it was funny versus integral to the story. Like it was comedy relief to the tension of the situation.

(:

It might also be funny to young kids if Yoda had...oh never mind. Younglings also love Phantom Menace, I think. Let the kids have Phantom Menace and Star Wars cartoons (which don't even have anything as silly as the new Sy Snootles music scene). Restore the Original Trilogy to at least 50% pre-Special Edition and put the restored 4K versions on Disney+. That will be the greatest service Disney can do for Star Wars fans.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It might also be funny to young kids if Yoda had...oh never mind. Younglings also love Phantom Menace, I think. Let the kids have Phantom Menace and Star Wars cartoons (which don't even have anything as silly as the new Sy Snootles music scene). Restore the Original Trilogy to at least 50% pre-Special Edition and put the restored 4K versions on Disney+. That will be the greatest service Disney can do for Star Wars fans.

Kathleen Kennedy has noted in interviews she had no plans to revisit George Lucas's edits as they didn't want to upset him and have public statements they were dismissing his vision for the characters and stories.

:(