• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I simply meant "mislead" as "mislead by hype and advertising".

Captain Marvel was advertised as integral to Endgame and something 'new'.

The Last Jedi was advertised as something that didn't suck donkey d^&*.

They definitely figured out the secret sauce how to get people roped into 'must see a film' as part of staying engaged with a franchise.

TLJ definitely made it feel like something that was going to be massive and spectacular. And then we went to it. :(

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

They definitely figured out the secret sauce how to get people roped into 'must see a film' as part of staying engaged with a franchise.

TLJ definitely made it feel like something that was going to be massive and spectacular. And then we went to it. :(

I DVR'd TLJ this month. I don't know why. I can't get myself to press play. I know that I recorded it (and TFA) to re-watch and see TROS again, but I just can't force myself to relive the 2.5-hour trauma.

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I DVR'd TLJ this month. I don't know why. I can't get myself to press play. I know that I recorded it (and TFA) to re-watch and see TROS again, but I just can't force myself to relive the 2.5-hour trauma.

Add in ROS, and you’ll be in for 5 hours of trauma.

I'd just like to point out that as fulfilling as it might be to hate on the current crop of Star Wars movies, there really hasn't been a decent entry since Empire in 1980 (Rogue One excluded).

25 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I'd just like to point out that as fulfilling as it might be to hate on the current crop of Star Wars movies, there really hasn't been a decent entry since Empire in 1980 (Rogue One excluded).

I'd have to disagree with you on the year -- there hasn't been a decent entry since 2017.

45 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I'd like to point out that you're committing Star Wars heresy by insinuating that Return of the Jedi, one of the three greatest sci-fi fantasy adventure movies of all time (the other two being New Hope and Empire Streaks Back) is not a decent "entry." Rogue One is a fancy big budget Star Wars fan film and that's the best thing I can say about that movie.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd like to point out that you're committing Star Wars heresy by insinuating that Return of the Jedi, one of the three greatest sci-fi fantasy adventure movies of all time (the other two being New Hope and Empire Streaks Back) is not a decent "entry." Rogue One is a fancy big budget Star Wars fan film and that's the best thing I can say about that movie.

So what would you call Rise of Skywalker then?

12 hours ago, mattn792 said:

So what would you call Rise of Skywalker then?

Every Star Wars movie after Return of the Jedi (yes, even George Lucas' Prequels) has been a Star Wars fan service film/fan film. In my opinion.

For me, the only real Star Wars is the Original Trilogy, though the Mandalorian is great as it's actually the first live-action Star Wars property to truly be different from the OT and not be a mirror to the OT or some kind of back story we don't need to beloved characters.

Now if Lucasfilm could only remove George Lucas' special edition adds to the original movies...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Even as a thirteen year old kid who had spent the better part of his childhood firmly as a Star Wars fanatic, I knew ROTJ was distinctly worse than the first two movies. I'll give you Rogue One as my identical twin brother hates that movie even though I love it. Weird right?

12 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Even as a thirteen year old kid who had spent the better part of his childhood firmly as a Star Wars fanatic, I knew ROTJ was distinctly worse than the first two movies. I'll give you Rogue One as my identical twin brother hates that movie even though I love it. Weird right?

Sure, ROTJ isn't as great as New Hope or Empire Strikes Back, but it's still great. Jabba, Endor (yes, even the Ewoks), the Emperor, Luke's final battle, Lando as a hero. It's all great. The original Star Wars saga is simply the greatest movie trilogy of all time. Nothing compares to it (LOTR comes close) and to put any post-OT Star Wars property above them is heresy.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure, ROTJ isn't as great as New Hope or Empire Strikes Back, but it's still great. Jabba, Endor (yes, even the Ewoks), the Emperor, Luke's final battle, Lando as a hero. It's all great. The original Star Wars saga is simply the greatest movie trilogy of all time. Nothing compares to it (LOTR comes close) and to put any Star Wars properties above them is heresy.

Thinking about this, some of my dislike for ROTJ could be because of BladeRunner. Changed my horizon for science fiction and possibly after seeing that movie the Star Wars universe just didn't seem as interesting anymore. But man, those first two movies hit at just the right time in my childhood. Great memories all around. Never will forget walking into the den Christmas 1977 and seeing all the Star Wars figures fanned out on the floor. The image is still vividly seared in my mind.

12 hours ago, media_junkie said:

I think RoTJ is an awesome film if you take out every scene that has an ewok in it.  If you leave the ewoks in it isn't as good, however it is still better than the 3 prequels and the 3 sequels.

I posted this same argument a while back. Ewoks define the spirit and the theme of Star Wars. That size matters not. That the meek shall inherit the world. That nature and simplicity triumphs over the mechanized and complex.

In a New Hope, the Empire, in its technologically superior hubris, designed the Death Star to fight off large ships and destroy planets but failed to account for one farmboy from Tatooine in a tiny X-wing fighter using the Force (And we should all delete from our brains that the Death Star's designer designed a flaw in the station for Luke to take advantage of later. It diminishes Luke's role and use of the Force and weakens the idea of the Empire not accounting for the small, which is the point of Star Wars. Rogue One is a bad Star Wars movie). Also, the simplicity and tradition of the Jedi contrasts against the mechanization and technology of the Empire.

In Empire Strikes Back, Luke himself overlooks the tiny cute adorable Yoda as THE Jedi Master.

In Return of the Jedi, the Empire again, with all its mechanization and complex systems, overlooks the simple cute woodland Ewoks who help the Rebellion finally win the day against the Empire with their rocks, logs, and knowledge of the forest.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I simply meant "mislead" as "mislead by hype and advertising".

Captain Marvel was advertised as integral to Endgame and something 'new'.

The Last Jedi was advertised as something that didn't suck donkey d^&*.