• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, gregwynn said:

I have an unpressed old label 9.0 unfortunately has cream pages. Been tempted to have it pressed and regraded but don't want a downgrade..

Screenshot_20180709-190014_1.jpg

That looks like an awful lot of flaws to grade higher than a 9.0. A press may help out with the creases but the wear on the top and bottom of the spine, and the 'killer' small multiple tears are still there. To be honest, 9.0 appears to be a generous grade. IMO, an old label has some appeal. The page quality is an interesting diIemna. You don't see the Cream designation that often. It's not really an improvement if you get a CR/OW. If the PQ has degraded into a LT TAN label that would not be good. IMO, leave it be.

26 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

Yes ! I saw that sale, buddy of mine tried to bid on it and LOST!  He can't believe he went so much higher and still lost!

I have a 9.0, and just recently upgraded to a 9.2 ---- Anyone know what is FMV on my 9.0 OW-W. lol   I seriously don't know how to price it.  Last sale? $5500?  Future speculation built in at $6k ???? 

lol well if it makes your buddy feel any better, I bid as high as I did (was willing to go to $4,500) at the time because I viewed the book as my keeper copy.  I still have it and have no plans to sell it despite receiving some crazy offers.

"FMV" during a fluid surge like this is really impossible to gauge.  It seems as if everyone just keeps tacking on $500 to the latest high sale and within a couple of weeks someone pays it and sets a new high.  FMV today for a 9.0 will be different next week (or maybe even tomorrow)...

33 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

Yes ! I saw that sale, buddy of mine tried to bid on it and LOST!  He can't believe he went so much higher and still lost!

I have a 9.0, and just recently upgraded to a 9.2 ---- Anyone know what is FMV on my 9.0 OW-W. lol   I seriously don't know how to price it.  Last sale? $5500?  Future speculation built in at $6k ???? 

Currently, it's difficult to judge FMV on this book. Looking at historical prices or last sale is not relevant as the market demand higher prices. Just the other day there was a thread with a 181 in 7.0 for 2,800 that was taken down when a GPA posted sale saw a 7.0 sell for 3,500. Even aggressive, strong pricing seems like a bargain within days. It's crazy.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Isn't the answer to why this book spiked obvious?  (shrug)

When C-list Bronze Age characters like Swamp Thing, Moon Knight, Luke Cage and Ghost Rider started selling close to or in excess of Wolvie's first appearance, a massive increase in prices in Hulk 181 was not only foreseeable, it was inevitable.

-J.

agreed! this book is ridiculously hot right now.i guess the question now is how long will it last before this issue crashes.....if it does(shrug)

3 hours ago, Ronperez said:

agreed! this book is ridiculously hot right now.i guess the question now is how long will it last before this issue crashes.....if it does(shrug)

If this book does "crash" it will take the entire Bronze Age with it.  

Kind of like the way it did the last time it "crashed". The difference this time is that Wolverine now has 10 movies under his belt and is on the cusp of being introduced into the MCU for likely another 10 movies over the next 10-15 years. 

The demand for the book is extremely intense right now though.  If you look at Ebay auction youll see that each and every one gets 100+ watchers, no matter how low or how high the grade, including raw copies.  A raw copy just sold for over $4k, and that was with the seller saying in the description, "I'm not even sure if this is restored or not". Lol The demand is just plain off the charts, and I don't think it's dominated by "speculation" by flippers anywhere near as a few are suggesting. What's driving the current demand is mostly FOMO by collectors.  

-J.

2 hours ago, bentbryan said:

An auction for a CGC’d 5.0 just ended at $2,345 with 26 bids. 

And a CGC 7.0 ended 4 minutes later for $2,940 - a drop of $560 from the $3,500 sale a few days earlier ? ....... the sky is falling ?

Pricing is all over the place - And this much volatility and price growth this quickly is not something I would trust. But I would be really happy if I was sitting on copies to sell :)  

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

If this book does "crash" it will take the entire Bronze Age with it.  

Kind of like the way it did the last time it "crashed". The difference this time is that Wolverine now has 10 movies under his belt and is on the cusp of being introduced into the MCU for likely another 10 movies over the next 10-15 years. 

The demand for the book is extremely intense right now though.  If you look at Ebay auction youll see that each and every one gets 100+ watchers, no matter how low or how high the grade, including raw copies.  A raw copy just sold for over $4k, and that was with the seller saying in the description, "I'm not even sure if this is restored or not". Lol The demand is just plain off the charts, and I don't think it's dominated by "speculation" by flippers anywhere near as a few are suggesting. What's driving the current demand is mostly FOMO by collectors.  

-J.

....yet the bolded statement above is absolute speculation. See, this is the stuff that's fueling much of this book's increases. This surge, it's not about where the character has been nearly as much as where people think the character could be going. That's speculation.

2 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

....yet the bolded statement above is absolute speculation. See, this is the stuff that's fueling much of this book's increases. This surge, it's not about where the character has been nearly as much as where people think the character could be going. That's speculation.

...and the question is, where else can he go? Marvel blasts Wolverine, or a version there of, on virtually everything these days. If it's not him it's Venom or Gwenpool, take your choice.

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

And a CGC 7.0 ended 4 minutes later for $2,940 - a drop of $560 from the $3,500 sale a few days earlier ? ....... the sky is falling ?

Pricing is all over the place - And this much volatility and price growth this quickly is not something I would trust. But I would be really happy if I was sitting on copies to sell :)  

Canadian shipping and some of the most terrible pics if ever seen..thats why it ended at that price.  Some people just can't make a proper ebay listing  

3 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

yes clearly the answer is a resounding YES, ITS THAT RED HOT!!! lol. i've noticed in this field that whenever there is a new record price achieved for a book, every single dealer and person trying to sell their copy immediately assumes that's the new going price. sometimes it does reflect the market. but now, $3500 for a 7.0 is just plain stupid. no one except one person of questionable intellect is paying that today. will it be that price in a little while? based on the last few months, yes. but it's not there now. it's been amusing to see at least 3 sellers now list books here for silly prices and have no takers. but like i said, in a few more weeks, or perhaps only days, things could be different. i still see a lull coming down the road. not a crash, just a lull. this book will never crash unless some genius decides to put 30 copies on the market at once.