• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this Amazing Spiderman #8

36 posts in this topic

I missed the back cover scan when I looked at it the first time. After seeing the back cover, I think it's a 7.5.

That was quick, thanks!

The back cover is pretty good. Around the staples just seems to be creases rather than tears, so there's only that small mark on the bottom edge.

Sweet copy, just a tad of rust on the lower staple? A very good example of how staple placement to the back cover protects the spine from wear 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you the original owner? If not, I'd be concerned about color touch in that area petey thinks there is a water spot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is that near the Torch's flame? Waterspot?

It's not water, below the torches flame is two small dents about 7 to 8mm running parallel, one above the other. The scan has actually highlighted it a lot more than when looking at the book in the flesh. It only affects the cover as there is no mark at all on the inside pages.

What is that near the Torch's flame? Waterspot?

It's not water, below the torches flame is two small dents about 7 to 8mm running parallel, one above the other. The scan has actually highlighted it a lot more than when looking at the book in the flesh. It only affects the cover as there is no mark at all on the inside pages.

Does it look like the dents are related to the stapling? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I hope they haven't been "filled in" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sweet copy, just a tad of rust on the lower staple? A very good example of how staple placement to the back cover protects the spine from wear 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There seems to be a couple of spots on the inside right side of the lower staple

Are you the original owner? If not, I'd be concerned about color touch in that area petey thinks there is a water spot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No I'm not the original owner, I've only had it a couple of months. The marks definitely look like a physical dent rather than colour touch when you look close up. I've attached a close up:

008_A_dent.jpg

The colours look even throughout the flame and nothing stands out as being touched up. There is nothing on the other side to make me suspicious although if it was a pro job I'm sure it could get past me! blush.gif

I think it'll have to get sent off to see what the verdict is.

Thanks

Does it look like the dents are related to the stapling? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I hope they haven't been "filled in" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think so because the staples only go through to the centrefold and so there's nothing behind the dent. It doesn't feel filled either. If I push lightly from behind it flattens it out so the paper does actually seem thinner in that area rather than filled.

I bought it as a 7.5 so FFB was spot on with that. I only paid a 6.0 price though so do have a bit of leeway until I have to hunt the guy down! grin.gif

I don't think so because the staples only go through to the centrefold and so there's nothing behind the dent. It doesn't feel filled either. If I push lightly from behind it flattens it out so the paper does actually seem thinner in that area rather than filled.

I bought it as a 7.5 so FFB was spot on with that. I only paid a 6.0 price though so do have a bit of leeway until I have to hunt the guy down! grin.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif Keep us posted - you might want to join the collector's society, if you haven't already 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A light dry cleaning and pressing could get that book to 8.0 IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks guys you've been really helpful, I'll let you know how it turns out next year when I get it back.

Actually, this may not be the right forum for it, but does the concensus of opinion believe that CGC is always the way to go with grading? Th reason I ask is because I'm drawn to PGX because I'm from the UK and so there's already delays in shipping it back and forth and also the prices are that bit cheaper. The grading is important of course but I'm probably interested in getting the comic encapsulated, and so permanently(-ish) protected, more than anything else.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks guys you've been really helpful, I'll let you know how it turns out next year when I get it back.

Actually, this may not be the right forum for it, but does the concensus of opinion believe that CGC is always the way to go with grading? Th reason I ask is because I'm drawn to PGX because I'm from the UK and so there's already delays in shipping it back and forth and also the prices are that bit cheaper. The grading is important of course but I'm probably interested in getting the comic encapsulated, and so permanently(-ish) protected, more than anything else.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

If you are keeping the book - just put it in a 4-mil Mylar (Silver/Gold Archive) with a 48-mil buffered fullback - that's the best way to protect a book. Only slab it if you plan to sell it, and yes, the consensus here is CGC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

If you are keeping the book - just put it in a 4-mil Mylar (Silver/Gold Archive) with a 48-mil buffered fullback - that's the best way to protect a book. Only slab it if you plan to sell it, and yes, the consensus here is CGC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

42 mil Full Back. gossip.gifpoke2.gif