• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously?! This is a CGC 9.9?

5 posts in this topic

I just received this book from a seller on ebay.  I've never owned a CGC 9.9 graded book, but the flaws I observed has given me doubts as to the authenticity of the grading.  The spine of the book has some color breaks and the corners of the spine are not square.  The serial number checks out, however, the date of grading is July of 2000, and this is on a relatively recent universal blue label (year 2006+).  I chalked this up to it having been sent it for a reholder service at some point.  The holder appears to be intact with no apparent signs of tampering...Please judge for yourself.  Either I'm being too critical, the CGC graders were smoking some good mess when they graded this, or this isn't a legit CGC graded book...

Deleted photos because the seller and I worked it out.

Edited by McGyver

55 minutes ago, McGyver said:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing they would give it a 9.9 with spine corners not completely square.  My suspicion is this happened when it was reholdered. 

Those early graded slabs often saw the book very loose in the inner well. Just the fact that it was shipped to CGC may have caused it to bang around inside the well. Those bottom corners are soft, I don't think the encapsulation caused it = it arrived at CGC that way. Can you get your money back ? I can see why you are not happy with this.

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Those early graded slabs often saw the book very loose in the inner well. Just the fact that it was shipped to CGC may have caused it to bang around inside the well. Those bottom corners are soft, I don't think the encapsulation caused it = it arrived at CGC that way. Can you get your money back ? I can see why you are not happy with this.

I hoping that I can return it and get a refund.  I'll contact the seller and see...