• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key/Dell The Twilight Zone

8 posts in this topic

Searched for a thread on this series but couldn't find one. Has anyone read these books? Are they decent reads? I'm a fan of the show, and really enjoy anthology sci-fi in general. 

I only recently discovered that this series exists and am now looking into tracking some down to read. Does anyone have any insight into their quality?

I started putting the run together last year. I've got most of it ready to read through soon. From the handful I have read it is a mixed bag, similar to Biris Karloff and other Dell Gold Key books from this time period. 

I will say I skimmed many and there are definitely some clunkers in there but those wonderfully painted covers are worth the price of admission alone! Worth looking into with an open mind and I'm a huge fan of the show as well.

27 minutes ago, Darth Corgi said:

I started putting the run together last year. I've got most of it ready to read through soon. From the handful I have read it is a mixed bag, similar to Biris Karloff and other Dell Gold Key books from this time period. 

I will say I skimmed many and there are definitely some clunkers in there but those wonderfully painted covers are worth the price of admission alone! Worth looking into with an open mind and I'm a huge fan of the show as well.

Thanks for the insight.

This would be my first foray into anything other than copper or modern books, so I have no frame of reference. 

The covers are amazing from what I've seen, but I'm definitely a reader.

34 minutes ago, ParamagicFF said:

Thanks for the insight.

This would be my first foray into anything other than copper or modern books, so I have no frame of reference. 

The covers are amazing from what I've seen, but I'm definitely a reader.

Sounds good. You are in luck as well since these books tend to sell for cheap even in high grades when compared to books from other genres and eras. Lots of high grade file copies out there too. Have fun! 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:50 PM, Darth Corgi said:

Sounds good. You are in luck as well since these books tend to sell for cheap even in high grades when compared to books from other genres and eras. Lots of high grade file copies out there too. Have fun! 

It's enjoyable learning more about comics through this. I have not found any at the comic shops around me. 

This is my first venture into older comics, so I am learning more about grading and condition for the purposes of buying a readable and presentable copy for a fair price.

It appears they are all single issue stories, is that the case? I'm hoping to buy and enjoy single issues without much research on the story content!

They actually  started out  in the DELL Four Color Series  prior to being spun off into  a separate run.  They do seem to have great covers, but I have yet to read them.

Also  a big fan of the original series.

I still remember walking home from a friends house  after watching "Nightmare at 30,000 feet"  and being sure that the creature  was going to fall on me

On 2018-01-30 at 3:41 PM, ParamagicFF said:

It's enjoyable learning more about comics through this. I have not found any at the comic shops around me. 

This is my first venture into older comics, so I am learning more about grading and condition for the purposes of buying a readable and presentable copy for a fair price.

It appears they are all single issue stories, is that the case? I'm hoping to buy and enjoy single issues without much research on the story content!

You'll be sure to find some at the next Baltimore con...

Edited by pemart1966