• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Collection

47 posts in this topic

BTW if you want to cheat and get a preview of some of the issues just right click and copy from properties the tagline and then change the issue # to read "avXX"

So far I've loaded up to issue 103 so feel free to browse.

av35.jpg

Someone told me that the Captain America image on this cover is actually a cut and pasted image from one of Kirby's old drawings. I hadn't ever noticed before but it does look slightly out of place. I don't know why this would be? Great thread by the way.

http://jackkirbycomics.blogspot.com/2004_11_07_jackkirbycomics_archive.html

"...the cover of AVENGERS #35, where the Captain America figure is lifted from a TALES OF SUSPENSE story."

49-53 yea X-men. This purple date stamp is on quite a few high grade books. I have always like date stamps in a way because the comics with them are usually pretty nice.

av49.jpg

av50.jpg

av51.jpg

av52.jpg

av53.jpg

Looking at issue 60, I noticed that there are quite a few Avengers covers that show the "head shots" Its a pretty frequent occurance throughout the years - almost worth starting a covr thread over - as if there aren't enough of those.

av59.jpg

av60.jpg

av61.jpg

Starting with the 50's, the condition starts to be extraordinarlly impressive. Going from consistent VF-VFNM for issues pre 57 and now VFNM to NM+ with issue 57 on up. That the collection was complete form issue 15 on up is impressive enough, what really bowled me over was seeing issue after issue in the 9.0++ range.

Its weird how someone who cared this much to buy top quality issues in the 80's would just sell the entire collection outright.

What is also interesting is that duiring storage some issues did get affected. Avengers 190-210 and about 30 of the X Factor and X Force moderns didn't have backing boards (none of the issues did) and had the "not enough comics - end of the box" bend at the bottom staple. Always glad to see that the damaged comics from a collection aren't the older keys. Its horrible to see an Avengers 13 in otherwise 9.4 condition with a recent bend at the staple due to poor storage.

av62.jpg

av63.jpg

Both books are going to CGC, the 57 should get a 9.4 to 9.6 and the 58 should be about a 8.5 to 9.2 depending on how harsh CGC is on the spine transverse lines.

av64.jpg

av65.jpg