• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "detached cover" mean from CGC?

11 posts in this topic

I have a Marvel Superheroes #12 graded at a 7.0. It looks very nice to the eye, but I noticed that CGC stated that it has a "detached cover" in the small print. Does this mean the cover isn't even attached to the book? How could a comic rate a 7.0 with part of the cover not attached? That seems like a pretty significant defect. I know I'd think twice about buying a comic with the cover loose.

7 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I have a Marvel Superheroes #12 graded at a 7.0. It looks very nice to the eye, but I noticed that CGC stated that it has a "detached cover" in the small print. Does this mean the cover isn't even attached to the book? How could a comic rate a 7.0 with part of the cover not attached? That seems like a pretty significant defect. I know I'd think twice about buying a comic with the cover loose.

We just went through this same discussion when someone else quoted the CGC notes as saying 'detached cover'. It turned out the notes said  detached from front cover. So what EXACTLY does your label say ? Either show it or quote it in full context. I suspect you have the same situation = the cover is not fully detached. If it was fully detached it would have graded much lower.

My bad - the grade on mine is 7.5, not 7.0. And it simply says "detached cover"; no elaboration (see attached image). Funny that I never saw the fine print on it when I bought it on eBay. It wasn't mentioned in the sales spiel. If I'm paying for a 7.5 copy of anything, I don't want it having a detached cover, anyway, anyhow.

Screenshot_2018-01-28-22-17-13.png

Edited by Getoutandstayout

You should look up green labels - this is a qualified grade - where the book looks a lot better than grade- and they list the reason. This book looks like a 7.5 --- but has a detached cover........

What the - ? I know it's not you're doing, but I'm not buying a comic on what the grade *would have been*, but on what the actual grade is. That's like saying, well this comic would have been a 7.5 if not attached - but since it's not attached, it's a 3.0. How am I suppose to know what the actual grade is, then? I'm starting to feel like I've been ripped off on this one, thinking I got a 7.5 when it's *actually* something much lower.

I hear ya. Green label is often referred to as the green label of death. A submitter can request the green label but I personally don’t care for the practice. Hopefully you can return the book.

Edited by crazyhips

5 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

What the - ? I know it's not you're doing, but I'm not buying a comic on what the grade *would have been*, but on what the actual grade is. That's like saying, well this comic would have been a 7.5 if not attached - but since it's not attached, it's a 3.0. How am I suppose to know what the actual grade is, then? I'm starting to feel like I've been ripped off on this one, thinking I got a 7.5 when it's *actually* something much lower.

I hear ya but that's the way the Green Label works. It appears you bought this book nearly two years ago and you didn't notice the Green Label until now ?

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hear ya but that's the way the Green Label works. It appears you bought this book nearly two years ago and you didn't notice the Green Label until now ?

I only bought it last summer, I believe. I wasn't aware of all the nuances of the labeling, unfortunately. I only went by the number. In my case, the 7.5. Looks like I'll be selling this copy on eBay as-is, recoup whatever I can get for it, then buy a *real* 7.5 or so, and no doubt spend a lot more money.