• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective #205

7 posts in this topic

This book seems to be rising the last 6 months.

I know it's the origin of the Batcave and scarce in higher grades but mid grade books are noticing significant bumps!

Last reported sales that I found:

Detective #205 CGC 8.0 $2766  Listed on GPA Sept/2017 [no real surprise of sale price]

Detective #205 CGC 5.5 $825 Listed on GPA Nov/2017 [somewhat surprised of sale price]

Detective #205 CGC 5.0 $1685 Sale pending on last Comic Link auction [very surprised of sale price]

Can't find any copies in any grade right now for sale to compare prices.

Just seems I could locate mid to lower grade at anytime prior to the last six months.

I'm not looking for any copies as I have two in my collection but the current market value of this book is finally catching on!

23 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The first hint at Batman's thoughts on a Batcave come from Detective 48.

Originally, there was only a secret tunnel that ran underground between Wayne Manor and a dusty old barn where the Batmobile was kept. Later, in Batman #12 (August–September 1942), Bill Fingermentioned "secret underground hangars." In 1943, the writers of the first Batman movie serial, titled Batman, gave Batman a complete underground crime lab and introduced it in the second chapter entitled "The Bat's Cave". The entrance was via a secret passage through a grandfather clock and included bats flying around.

Bob Kane, who was on the movie set, mentioned this to Bill Finger who was going to be the initial scripter on the Batman daily newspaper strip. Finger included with his -script a clipping from Popular Mechanics that featured a detailed cross section of underground hangars. Kane used this clipping as a guide, adding a study, crime lab, workshop, hangar and garage. This illustration appeared in the Batman "dailies" on October 29, 1943 in a strip entitled "The Bat Cave!"

In this early version the cave itself was described as Batman's underground study and, like the other rooms, was just a small alcove with a desk and filing cabinets. Like in the movie serial, the Batman's symbol was carved into the rock behind the desk and had a candle in the middle of it. The entrance was via a bookcase which led to a secret elevator.

The Batcave made its comic book debut in Detective Comics #83 in January 1944. Over the decades, the cave has expanded along with its owner's popularity to include a vast trophy room, supercomputer, and forensics lab. There has been little consistency as to the floor plan of the Batcave or its contents. The design has varied from artist to artist and it is not unusual for the same artist to draw the cave layout differently in various issues.

Detective #205 is the “origin” of something that had been a work in progress for some time inside and outside of comics.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, Bat-Hound said:

This book seems to be rising the last 6 months.

I know it's the origin of the Batcave and scarce in higher grades but mid grade books are noticing significant bumps!

Last reported sales that I found:

Detective #205 CGC 8.0 $2766  Listed on GPA Sept/2017 [no real surprise of sale price]

Detective #205 CGC 5.5 $825 Listed on GPA Nov/2017 [somewhat surprised of sale price]

Detective #205 CGC 5.0 $1685 Sale pending on last Comic Link auction [very surprised of sale price]

Can't find any copies in any grade right now for sale to compare prices.

Just seems I could locate mid to lower grade at anytime prior to the last six months.

I'm not looking for any copies as I have two in my collection but the current market value of this book is finally catching on!

Yeah, crazy book. What grade are the two copies you have?

Edited by LDarkseid1

I picked up a nice Detective #205 at the CalComicCon in Yorba Linda. Except for the small piece missing on the right side of the cover, it’s a very glossy cover. I’m pretty sure it will get at least a 4.0 or a 5.0 when I submit it to CGC. The best part was I only paid $150 for it!!??

25707593-7806-428B-A830-C01EDE22861F.jpeg

On 2/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, N e r V said:

Originally, there was only a secret tunnel that ran underground between Wayne Manor and a dusty old barn where the Batmobile was kept. Later, in Batman #12 (August–September 1942), Bill Fingermentioned "secret underground hangars." In 1943, the writers of the first Batman movie serial, titled Batman, gave Batman a complete underground crime lab and introduced it in the second chapter entitled "The Bat's Cave". The entrance was via a secret passage through a grandfather clock and included bats flying around.

Bob Kane, who was on the movie set, mentioned this to Bill Finger who was going to be the initial scripter on the Batman daily newspaper strip. Finger included with his --script a clipping from Popular Mechanics that featured a detailed cross section of underground hangars. Kane used this clipping as a guide, adding a study, crime lab, workshop, hangar and garage. This illustration appeared in the Batman "dailies" on October 29, 1943 in a strip entitled "The Bat Cave!"

In this early version the cave itself was described as Batman's underground study and, like the other rooms, was just a small alcove with a desk and filing cabinets. Like in the movie serial, the Batman's symbol was carved into the rock behind the desk and had a candle in the middle of it. The entrance was via a bookcase which led to a secret elevator.

The Batcave made its comic book debut in Detective Comics #83 in January 1944. Over the decades, the cave has expanded along with its owner's popularity to include a vast trophy room, supercomputer, and forensics lab. There has been little consistency as to the floor plan of the Batcave or its contents. The design has varied from artist to artist and it is not unusual for the same artist to draw the cave layout differently in various issues.

Detective #205 is the “origin” of something that had been a work in progress for some time inside and outside of comics.

Really interesting stuff, thanks. Cool to thin that two iconic parts is comic lore were introduced in movie serials and radio adventures, the Batcave and Kryptonite. Probably more too that I don’t know of.