• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration impact on a comic's value?

16 posts in this topic

If a comic has minor restoration (like a color touch-up), does this significantly impact the value of a comic? Particularly if it's a key issue? I'm looking at one slabbed comic by CGC that's expensive and a major key - AND it's signed by Stan Lee. But it has the small amount of color touch on the cover and an "apparent" 3.5 grade. Is this really going to be a factor when it's time to sell it?

5 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

If a comic has minor restoration (like a color touch-up), does this significantly impact the value of a comic? Particularly if it's a key issue? I'm looking at one slabbed comic by CGC that's expensive and a major key - AND it's signed by Stan Lee. But it has the small amount of color touch on the cover and an "apparent" 3.5 grade. Is this really going to be a factor when it's time to sell it?

"Small amount" is likely just 2 or three hits of CT. Its not much of an intervention into the book compared to Stans Big fat Black marker Sigs.

But the purple label in itself will impact the value. 

18 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

"Small amount" is likely just 2 or three hits of CT. Its not much of an intervention into the book compared to Stans Big fat Black marker Sigs.

I have found quite a variance on "small amount".  The bigger thing is if it's amateur or pro color touch.  Ask the seller if they know where and how much CT is on the comic.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:01 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Small amount can be a “lot”. Generally not just 2 or 3 hits. I have a slight where well more than a cumulative inch of ct is apparent on the perimeter 

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Small amount can be a “lot”. Generally not just 2 or 3 hits. I have a slight where well more than a cumulative inch of ct is apparent on the perimeter 

Hmm ... could the definition of Said category have changed, since CGC went over the their "new" grading criteria?

Edited by Mr bla bla

46 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Hmm ... could the definition of Said category have changed, since CGC went over the their "new" grading criteria?

A hit or two seemed to get notation on blue label for ga. Small amount has always been a significant enough amount to alter grade 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

A hit or two seemed to get notation on blue label for ga. Small amount has always been a significant enough amount to alter grade 

Full disclosure: my experience with' small amount / very small amount' relates to SA.

I am aware that CGC deviates from their own standards as to GA slabs with small amounts of ct.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:49 AM, G.A.tor said:

True. And 'small amount' can mean numerous locations. 

On 2/3/2018 at 10:20 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

IMO. stay away from it = don't buy it. It is very difficult to put a price on either the touch up or the Stan signature. I am sure the seller has an inflated view and it will be very easy to overpay. Putting a Stan signature on a restored book is an old trick as a Yellow label is much more desirable than a Purple one. Don't be a sucker.   

6 minutes ago, grebal said:

Because in general they are a lot cheaper than their unrestored counterparts.

Alternatives:

1) Save up more (if you can)

2) Get an affordable book (ie, lower grade) that is unrestored

59 minutes ago, grebal said:

Indeed and if what you are looking for is the actual material to look over, then a raw book makes more sense. You get to paw it lovingly. If one the other hand you are buying a restored book slabbed, you can't read it or drool over it at all yet it's tainted. . . So, then I have to ask why you want the less expensive attainable copy of a thing that probably cost .12 cents at one point. Why not just get a 1.0 and rip it out of the plastic? Is it to impress? What?

Edited by Glassman10

On February 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM, grebal said:

it's tough finding high grade xmen 94 - 104 or so that aren't slabbed and aren't pressed. 

It's a challenge in itself