• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 7.0 Heritage auction

23 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Does anyone have opinion why the dot is not there.

Because it was printed there? (shrug)

15 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I have seen other copies w/o the dot. It seems like there was more than one printing run.The earlier print run didn't have the dot and the later one did.

this was my understanding as well, just like there were (3?) print runs of Superman #1, with small differences between the print runs. although the market hasn't shown any favorability to either printings.

27 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I have seen other copies w/o the dot. It seems like there was more than one printing run.The earlier print run didn't have the dot and the later one did.

Here's my theory about the dot since I believe the dot was always there initially on the cover printing plate. The dot would be a small raised point on the metal printing plate and over time and after tens of thousands of printings, the dot could have worn off or broken off resulting in no dot printing. I surmise that copies with the dot came first and copies without the dot were printed later in the initial print run or in later printing if there was a second print run. The missing dot was not noticed or was not a big enough difference to be worth fixing the printing plate.

Here's an example of a cover printing plate.

avengers-225.jpg

1 hour ago, jpepx78 said:

Here's my theory about the dot since I believe the dot was always there initially on the cover printing plate. The dot would be a small raised point on the metal printing plate and over time and after tens of thousands of printings, the dot could have worn off or broken off resulting in no dot printing. I surmise that copies with the dot came first and copies without the dot were printed later in the initial print run or in later printing if there was a second print run. The missing dot was not noticed or was not a big enough difference to be worth fixing the printing plate.

avengers-225.jpg

Exactly!   Same thing with the so-called Marvel 1 October editions.   They changed the date before it went to print so they could stay on the stands later.  But late in the run the "Nov" fell off.   So those few "Nov" copies are actually the LAST in the run.

And all those books that say "first edition."  They're not the first ones, either.  It's what they put at books at the end of a run, before they go to the second edition.

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, jpepx78 said:

avengers-225.jpg

Good theory Jeff. 

5 hours ago, woowoo said:

The Batman 1 is only the 2nd copy I have seen without the dot before the 1

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7177-91049.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Does anyone have opinion why the dot is not there.

I think there have been multiple threads about the dot and no-dot copies of Batman 1.  I can't quite remember the details, but at some point somebody presented a good case for there having been separate printings.

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

Exactly!   Same thing with the so-called Marvel 1 October editions.   They changed the date before it went to print so they could stay on the stands later.  But late in the run the "Nov" fell off.   So those few "Nov" copies are actually the LAST in the run.

And all those books that say "first edition."  They're not the first ones, either.  It's what they put at books at the end of a run, before they go to the second edition.

First time I've heard this argument to explain the October and November versions of Marvel 1. Not saying it's incorrect, just that I can't recall having heard it before.

No one knows or can prove any theory either way. It’s just as possible that if there were 2 (or more) print runs or a single run the no dot could have come first and was corrected on a later run or corrected later in a single run when the mistake was noticed.

Edited by N e r V

58 minutes ago, N e r V said:

No one knows or can prove any theory either way. It’s just as possible that if there were 2 (or more) print runs or a single run the no dot could have come first and was corrected on a later run or corrected later in a single run when the mistake was noticed.

:hi:

Nerv.jpg