• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Superman Comics (100-110)

13 posts in this topic

Using mid grade designation which I will define as CGC 5.0-7.0, which is the toughest Superman in this numerical range (100-110) to find.  The books may be raw as long as they are accurately graded or as close as possible.

Thanks in advance!

huh?

4 hours ago, revat said:

huh?

All I want to know is which Superman from 100-110 (1950s)  is the toughest to find in mid grade.  Is 101 tougher to find than 108?  Superman collectors would likely shed some light on this situation.  If you don't understand, then don't get all saracastic about it.  Maybe there are others that do.

1 minute ago, SLR5 said:
4 hours ago, revat said:

huh?

All I want to know is which Superman from 100-110 (1950s)  is the toughest to find in mid grade.  Is 101 tougher to find than 108?  Superman collectors would likely shed some light on this situation.  If you don't understand, then don't get all saracastic about it.  Maybe there are others that do.

I read your post in good faith, but the punctuation (or lack thereof) made me read it the wrong (and confusing) way.  I thought you were declaring something, then trying to buy some raw or graded books.  It became really confusing as you threw 'accurately graded' in there, which doesn't really jive with what you're asking for, unless you're trying to buy something.

Why wasn't your thread title "Which Superman books 100-110 (1950's) are the toughest to find in mid-grade?"

Now that I understand your question, I would say look at the census if you haven't already for CGC and both of the other main grading companies.  That should get you enough of a sample size to get an idea.  Then I would run some GPA (the graded comic online price guide) searches to check on pricing to see which are worth more at the same grade, that should also give you some signs of rarity.  Also, while this thread is ok to post in, you might get more responses if you post in the 'Golden Age' subforum here on the boards.

Note:  I apologize if English is not your first or second language, I would have equal or more trouble posing the same question in French or Chinese. 

14 hours ago, SLR5 said:

Using mid grade designation which I will define as CGC 5.0-7.0, which is the toughest Superman in this numerical range (100-110) to find.  The books may be raw as long as they are accurately graded or as close as possible.

Thanks in advance!

58 minutes ago, SLR5 said:

OK No problems.  Should have phrased the question more clearly.  Yes, I will check the Population census.  That would give me an idea.  

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

For the record, I also didn't understand your question. I thought your first sentence was clear and I understood what you were asking. Then I read the 2nd sentence and it made absolutely no sense .  I like this range of Superman and they all seem pretty tough. Let us know what you find out from the census.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

For the record, I also didn't understand your question. I thought your first sentence was clear and I understood what you were asking. Then I read the 2nd sentence and it made absolutely no sense .  I like this range of Superman and they all seem pretty tough. Let us know what you find out from the census.

I certainly will.  My writing skills are not as good as they should be and although I enjoy reading books, it takes me forever to get through a novel or a work of non-fiction or biography.  I'm reading a book that just came out called "The Goddess of Anarchy":  The Life and Times of Lucy Parsons, American Radical"  It's a 355 page book, started it about three weeks ago and I'm on page 113.  I read very slowly to comprehend and must look up "SAT words" and foreign phrases which slows me down but I like to learn new words.  Checked it out of local library and I can always renew it especially a book that's not exactly on everybody's "must read" list.  Finally, I never really graduated HS as the school district sent me to a special school for kids with learning difficulties and never made it through.  I was also a major discipline problem in classrooms starting in third grade.  Hated school and except for two teachers, hated them too.  Teachers, back in the day, had no patience with less than average students.  Loved Mrs. Manpearl in fourth grade-- Mrs. McMurrin in 9th grade.  And of course i started collecting comics in fourth grade.

Without looking,  maybe 100 would actually be the easiest to find.  It is a landmark '100' issue, maybe even casual readers back in the day, picked one up and put it away.  Just a thought, and just guessing at this point.  But issues like that seem to sell a few more units due to the accomplishment. 

15 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Without looking,  maybe 100 would actually be the easiest to find.  It is a landmark '100' issue, maybe even casual readers back in the day, picked one up and put it away.  Just a thought, and just guessing at this point.  But issues like that seem to sell a few more units due to the accomplishment. 

I agree, you definitely see the 100 a lot, it does not seem to be rare. However, I usually see it below 5.0 .  For the record, I own a mid grade 102 and 109. 109 is supposed to be the first book of the Silver Age. I've owned a 100 before but it was 3.5 range. 

Superman 100--205  Universal     8 ---Restored  1  Qualified (Don't know what that means)

Mid Grade    39 in 5.0

11  in 5.5

5 in 6.0

5 in 6.5

7 in 7.0

HG is a 9.0 and there are 3 of those.

Superman 101  40--Universal   0 Restored  0 Qualified

3 in 5.0

3 in 5.5                                   HG is 9.0 and there are two in the censurs.

1 in 6.0

4 in 6.5                                      (I have a CGC 7.0 copy)

6 in 7.0

Superman 102     28 --Universal     1 Restored

4 in 5.0

5 in 5.5

0 in 6.0                                I own a CGC 6.5 but it certainly looks higher than a 6.5; it looks much nicer than the 7.0 CGC gave me for the 7.0 copy of Superman 101)

1 in 6.5     

2 in 7.0                                        HG is a lone 9.2   

Superman 103                     27 Universal         1 Restored

2 in 5.0

2 in 5.5

3 in  6.0                                           HG is a lone 9.2

2 in 6.5

2 in 7.0                                     

That's it for now;  I will be happy to chart a few others tomorrow.              

You can also join Heritage and check out their auction archives.... both slabbed and raw will be represented..... and I always thought 102 would be toughest in that area, but that's just MY experience. The Superman run from about 1956 to 1961 is EASILY my favorite of the Superman canon. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu