• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Misguided Guide ?

32 posts in this topic

the goofy cover might be holding it back (despite what the guide may say). he's a super hero, but that makes it look like a kiddie/funny animal comic.

without a CGC certification, that will probably be viewed by bidders as a 4.5 to 5.0, give or take, even though CGC would probably give it a 6.0 or more.

plus the fear of restoration (unlikely on that book except maybe a trim)

-- in some ways, people buying your low grade GA readers probably feel more comfortable buying those books because they couldn't possibly be restored and they're not going to have to worry about what CGC may grade them

green lama 7 has a pretty cool painted christmas theme cover, but as someone said, as golden age super hero books go, it is not a particularly rare issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=6535513213

the price is, perhaps, optimistic and may get revised one of these days.

No problemo I'll gladly pay up to 30% of guide for Barks Four Color Duck books, Whiz, Capt Marvel Adventures, Capt Midnight, Capt Marvel Jr., Master Comics, Mary Marvel, Marvel Family, Little Lulu 1-40, Walt Disney's Comic's and Stories 1-80, Archie 1-60, Pep 1-80, Pogo 1-10, Animal Comics 1-20, and others.

Ahhhhhhhhh, well THAT's the reason. I'm thinking late 40s and early 50s books, which are EVERYWHERE. I'll pay 30% for WDCS 1 too! grin.gif

Well I had to start at some #.

I did say I'll take any issue of the Fawcett titles listed above, as well as WOW and Fawcetts Funny Animals (with Hoppy the marvel bunny). Those titles run well into the '50s. So do most, not all, of the number sequences listed above.

So line 'em up for me!

I will echo the blob's sentiments on Green Lama 7 - it's a cool cover but is a relatively common book, as I got a mid-grade copy from a seller who must have had at least a dozen or more of this issue for sale over a period of months a couple years ago. My copy, VG+ish, cost me about 40. As I recall some of the ones he was selling were pretty sharp and these may well be some of those since graded?

I also remember the other book he had multiples of in higher grade was a funny animal "Zoo Funnies #2", as well as that Liberty comic issue (I don't recall the #, was it 7?) with a ghoulish-looking character carrying a damsel in distress.

the goofy cover might be holding it back (despite what the guide may say). he's a super hero, but that makes it look like a kiddie/funny animal comic.

without a CGC certification, that will probably be viewed by bidders as a 4.5 to 5.0, give or take, even though CGC would probably give it a 6.0 or more.

plus the fear of restoration (unlikely on that book except maybe a trim)

-- in some ways, people buying your low grade GA readers probably feel more comfortable buying those books because they couldn't possibly be restored and they're not going to have to worry about what CGC may grade them

green lama 7 has a pretty cool painted christmas theme cover, but as someone said, as golden age super hero books go, it is not a particularly rare issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=6535513213

the price is, perhaps, optimistic and may get revised one of these days.

I think I agree that the CGC may give it a 6. Also that people do bid a grade or two under what people list on ebay. The Overstreet value for 4.0 is $124. Maybe I'll relist at $60 opening bid and see what happens.

The book is part of an original owner collection I'm selling and definately not restored.

i shouldn't have spoken so soon about ebay sales -- my last batch of bronze agers, granted, very sharp early/mid 80s spideys, didn't do so well. oh well, they were just so pristine I didn't want to sell them on the cheap.

Yeah I sell a lot of that at guide. Especially low grade ducks, lulus, archies, super hero and horror golden age, all at book.

Fawcetts are one of the best selling of the golden age publishers out there so I don't know what you're talking about as far as that goes.

60% for books?!? There better be some key golden age number ones in there to make me go over 30%. But stuff is pretty easy to buy here in California.

Selling is just a matter of knowing your market, there's always a way to get close to guide for your books.

Easy to buy is an understatement. Seems like every collection that turns up consists of low grade Dell funny animal books, Lulus, and Archies. That stuff is EVERYWHERE in low grade out here.

The Guide is just a "guide".

Consider it this way: A few years ago, a guide went to a village for the first time. He's going to that village again this year. Now, it's been a few years since he last went there, and he knows about where the vilage is, but not exactly. He'll get you there,.........eventually.

It's not a "Bible".

Yeah I sell a lot of that at guide. Especially low grade ducks, lulus, archies, super hero and horror golden age, all at book.

Fawcetts are one of the best selling of the golden age publishers out there so I don't know what you're talking about as far as that goes.

60% for books?!? There better be some key golden age number ones in there to make me go over 30%. But stuff is pretty easy to buy here in California.

Selling is just a matter of knowing your market, there's always a way to get close to guide for your books.

There is an internal contradiction in your argument (they are easy to buy but you can sell them at guide) that can only be explained if you are a marketing genius, have a very, very dumb clientele, or just don't sell a lot.

Occasionally one can find a sweet cheap collection and turn it over for a decent profit. But that's an anecdote and doesn't change the fact that across the entire market a certain group a books are cheap to buy and must be sold cheap.

Sometimes it goes title by title, other times it can be issue by issue. I do not know what issue of Green Lama you have but there was a warehouse find on #7 issue making that issue sell for well under guide prices.

Personally I like Green Lama, especially the war covers on # 2, 4 and 6.

West

There were a fair amount of Green Lama #7 and The Thing #16 found.

If you'll review the price guide you'll note that these comics are priced significantly lower than other issues of their title due to this. It is odd that buyers don't think Overstreet has taken this into account and try to pay far less than the Overstreet value for these.

sign-rantpost.gif

The key difference between prices you see in Overstreet and the prices you might realize in an auction is [/i]time[/i]. Historically, the guide prices are based on dealer reports of fixed price sales, and there is no weight assigned to how long the item was sitting in inventory before it sold.

Some comics have such a huge following that there will always be buyers on the lookout for that material and will pay a decent price (i.e. they are liquid). For example, you could hold a 1-day auction for a CGC Hulk #181 9.2 and probably predict within $10-20 what you will get for it.

But many comics have a more limited collector base (but they are out there!), and if you don't happen to catch one of these collectors the week of your auction with money to burn and a hole to fill, you won't get your price. These are usually the characters that were canceled decades ago (many funny animal titles), or even entire genres that are lost to time (e.g. westerns). Thus these types of comics tend to sell better at a fixed price, although you have to be prepared to wait for awhile. If you can't, then you'll have to settle for a much lower price.