• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants within DC Newsstand Issues
3 3

81 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I found that from February 1999 through August 2009, there are more than 100 newsstand issues of Batman, Detective, Superman, and Action Comics that are missing advertisements that appear in the direct sales versions. This has been confirmed by another collector, who also has many of these newsstand variants in his possession. Therefore, these newsstand versions are variants from the direct sales versions.

They already are. They may be slightly more different, but they are already different versions of the same issue. It would be notable if you found a Direct edition that was different from other Directs, or a Newsstand edition that was different from other Newsstands, like these.

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

3. Some (but not all) Detective 692, 693 and 694 newsstand versions contain a subscription insert that doesn’t appear in direct sales versions. The insert is stapled into the comic books. The following photo shows the subscription insert inside Detective 693.  All inserts have a CC-1 serial number on them even though they appear in different issues.

4. I have found newsstand versions of Batman 637 and 638, Detective Comics 803 through 806, Adventures of Superman 637 and 638, Action Comics 824 and 825, and Superman 214, 216, and 217 that contain a Mad magazine insert that doesn’t appear in direct sales versions. This insert is not stapled into these issues and could be easily pulled out which might explain why several newsstand copies of these same issues might not contain the insert.

5. Newsstand versions of Batman 674, Detective 842 and 843, Superman 674, and Action 862 all contain a DC Comics subscription insert that doesn’t appear in direct sales versions. The inserts from all these issues are identical and they have a A8DCU1 serial number on them. Except for Batman 674 and Superman 674, all the inserts were stapled into the comic books. The insert in Batman 674 and Superman 674 can be easily pulled out. See photo below of Superman 674 for an example of this insert.

For any non-full-page inserts, the placement can vary. I've seen different copies of the same issue that had the insert loose, fully stapled, and even partially stapled.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

They already are. They may be slightly more different, but they are already different versions of the same issue. It would be notable if you found a Direct edition that was different from other Directs, or a Newsstand edition that was different from other Newsstands, like these.

For any non-full-page inserts, the placement can vary. I've seen different copies of the same issue that had the insert loose, fully stapled, and even partially stapled.

thanks for weighing in Lazyboy!

Kirk,

Thank you for amassing and documenting your Pedigree level collection of DC Newsstands.  This is something I could see myself falling into.  But since you already did it, I don't have to!

Are you expanding into more DC titles, Marvel, Image perhaps?

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

Kirk,

Thank you for amassing and documenting your Pedigree level collection of DC Newsstands.  This is something I could see myself falling into.  But since you already did it, I don't have to!

Are you expanding into more DC titles, Marvel, Image perhaps?

No... definitely not expanding... lol.   Instead trying to focus on finding the remaining comic books on my want list.   The chase of the variants is great fun... and seemingly never ending.   As soon as I think I'm closing in on the remaining ones, someone finds another one that no one ever heard of.   

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

That's a shame.  Wonder how Bookmart copies are getting to military members overseas?  I know the stateside BXs have pretty much stopped providing comics.

Jim

13 hours ago, kimik said:

I wonder if the ads are different in the Canadian and US newsstand editions?

No.... they are the same.

p.s.  I know a guy who has found every single Canadian variant of Batman and Detective comics in high grade.  If ever there's a doubt, he can confirm no differences in ads.... just the variant in price.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

@Cpt Kirk

Is Batman #24 prelude newsstand price variant one that CGC will remark on the label? I thought it was, but I could be wrong... (shrug) 

I sent it back in to get the label corrected.... if CGC honors it and puts it on the label then I'll thank my luck stars and sell my 1 other raw copy..... too much trouble...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Cpt Kirk

Is Batman #24 prelude newsstand price variant one that CGC will remark on the label? I thought it was, but I could be wrong... (shrug) 

I sent it back in to get the label corrected.... if CGC honors it and puts it on the label then I'll thank my luck stars and sell my 1 other raw copy..... too much trouble...

I think there is a good chance that they will note it as "newsstand" issue.   I heard that they started doing this.

If you sell one, I would like to hear how much you get for it.   Regards, Kirk

I think there is a good chance that they will note it as "newsstand" issue.   I heard that they started doing this.

If you sell one, I would like to hear how much you get for it.   Regards, Kirk

I bought 2 raw copies for $20 a piece, I think there are still some on eBay from the same seller. I submitted one and it came back 9.6, so not too bad. I just really want it on the label. 

When I bought the raws, i noticed a slab of one that I think had it on the label, but it doesn't show up under sold so anyway lol

But I'll let you know if I get the label corrected and I might not sell it if so.

If by some miracle there is onsite grading next year at fan expo Dallas, I'll try and grade the other one with maybe SS if available etc. 

EDIT: also if you search ebay for 3.99 newsstand price variant, they do recognize them so :wishluck: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
, comma then the edit

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I bought 2 raw copies for $20 a piece, I think there are still some on eBay from the same seller. I submitted one and it came back 9.6, so not too bad. I just really want it on the label. 

When I bought the raws, i noticed a slab of one that I think had it on the label, but it doesn't show up under sold so anyway lol

But I'll let you know if I get the label corrected and I might not sell it if so.

If by some miracle there is onsite grading next year at fan expo Dallas, I'll try and grade the other one with maybe SS if available etc. 

EDIT: also if you search ebay for 3.99 newsstand price variant, they do recognize them so :wishluck: 

Interesting.   I have almost every newsstand issue of Batman, Detective, Superman, and Action Comics since they started in 1980.   The only exceptions are Batman New 52 #10 and Superman New 52 #8 and 9.    Some guy has Superman #9 on sale for $60, but I can't bring myself to spend that much when I know I will probably find one on ebay for less than $10 one day.   But if you ever find one of those, let me know.... I will definitely make it worth your while if you sell to me. 

A friend of mine just found a Batman New 52 #10 newsstand variant for me at NYCC.  That means I now have all newsstand variants in the original, New 52, and Rebirth issues of Batman, Detective, and Action Comics titles.    That completes a major milestone for me.   

If you are thinking about trying to do this, I would caution you.   It took me 7 years (and I won't say how much money) to make it happen.  I was mainly doing it as an academic pursuit.   I know one other friend who is trying to do this for the title of Batman.   He has all but a few of the most recent New 52 and Rebirth issues (which, toward the end, were hard to find due to low distribution).  

So now the only remaining newsstand issues I need to find are Superman New 52 #8, Action #252 Millennium Edition, and Justice League (1987 series) #1 Millennium Edition.   I am confident they exist, but I have never seen any of those 3 newsstand editions (as a matter of fact, I have not even seen an image of the newsstand versions of those comic books).

Edited by Cpt Kirk