• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newsstand vs direct
1 1

8 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Queenseast10 said:

Which is a better choice to purchase, a newsstand edition or direct? Most newsstand copies were bought by non collectors, read and tossed somewhere. Given they are the same grade and price, which would you buy? Thanks John

You seem to already know everything, so I guess you don't really need an answer.

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Also, @Marwood & I I checked the newbie questions section today because you inspired me :hi:

Bless you Martin :foryou:

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Which time period are you talking about? The answer will somewhat depend on that....

The only acceptable answer, based on the phrasing of the OP, is: "Newsstands. They are ultra-rare, especially in high grade." Don't be fooled into thinking this is a legitimate question.

The only real answer is to buy whichever one you prefer. For me, that is Directs until all copies got bar codes, at which point I don't really care either way.

Once upon a time, newsstand copies were the market.  Period.  When direct editions came out and were 5% of the market, they were scarce. Today, 99% of comics are Direct so the Newstand are scarce. 

Neither variety brings much of a premium from the early 80s thru the mid to late 90s, with a few exceptions.